PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Logs

Ryan Lee
06-24-2006, 7:30 PM
Has any one ever used logs from the yard to make lumber? I just felled a few fairly large oaks and I cut some sections into 6 foot lengths. I wondered if I could put them thru my band saw and then dry them.

Mike Cutler
06-24-2006, 8:23 PM
How big are the logs? and how big is the bandsaw?
There is no reason why you shouldn't be able to do it. Watch out for nails in the logs though. I ran some "Yardwood" through the bandsaw this past winter that is currently drying.
You may want to do some research on "Solar Kilns" to dry the lumber.

Be sure to seal the ends with Anchor Seal as soon as possible.

Here is what I did.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=32750

Jim Becker
06-24-2006, 8:31 PM
Yup...http://sawsndust.com/a-milling.htm

Ryan Lee
06-24-2006, 8:35 PM
The biggest logs are about 15" in diameter. I have a Jet 18" band saw.

What is that sled that you were using? That would be nice so the logs don't roll on me.

Ted Christiansen
06-24-2006, 8:45 PM
Ryan,

Oak 15" diameter by 6 feet is too large for an 18" (12 resaw height) and even two guys to cut.

I would recommend: A) Hauling them to a bandsaw mill, B) use a chainsaw mill, or C) Use a chainsaw mill to split them in half lengthwise making them much more managable.

I use a Logosol Timberjig and Husky 385XP (85CC) with the Logosol PMX ripping chain (1/4" kerf).

See my profile for my website for more details on chainsaw milling.

Regards,

Ted

Ryan Lee
06-24-2006, 9:13 PM
Could I cut the long in two lengthwise and then run it thru my saw? That way it would fit with no problem.

Mike Cutler
06-24-2006, 10:22 PM
Ryan.
The sled was nothing exotic. I assure you.
It was a piece of an old pressboard venner headboard that I had laying around, and some scrap material. The scrap was screwed down to the sled, and then screwed into the end of the log.
Once I had two sides milled I didn't need the sled any longer.

Ted's Logosol recommendation is a good one. I'd like to get one of those someday.
If you can cut, or split the logs in half you should be able to fit them thru.
You're going to need a good blade to rip on the bamdsaw with. The blade I used was a 1", Lennox, 2-3 TPI vari pitch, Bi-Metal blade. Timberwolf has an 2 TPI blade for milling green wood. I will probably try that one next time.
I did a 15" Hickory log soon after that one was done. I had to use a chainsaw and freehand rip it though. Ted's Logosol would have come in handy.;)

Jim Becker
06-25-2006, 10:57 AM
Ryan, you really, really need to consider the weight of that log, even at 4' in length!! It's oak and it's wet. Personally, I'll have my local Woodmizer guy do this kind of thing for me at 55 bucks an hour before I'd consider trying to mill it on my Mini Max 16" bandsaw. If you have a trailer available that you could drag in onto with a come-along, you can save the "travel time" cost for the sawyer, to...my guy, for example, keeps his set up at home on the days he's not milling on-site.

Matt King
06-25-2006, 10:00 PM
Ryan - after working with the walnut stump my Dad and I have been playing with, be sure to listen to Ted and Jim! Those logs will be *HEAVY*! Ted's site was an inspiration to me, as was the knowledge that Jim passed along. These guys know worlds more than I do, mind you, but please be prepared for some pretty healthy work, and don't try to tackle more than your saw may be prepared for. I Ted mentions a Husky 385, which is a great saw. My lightly modified 372XP with brand new ripping chain has been fairly thoroughly taxed by ripping up this walnut.

Have you considered any options for cutting the logs in place?

Take care,

Matt

Vaughn McMillan
06-26-2006, 4:03 AM
For an adventurous read, you could always check out how they do it in Tokyo:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=27490

There's even a video (http://workingwoods.com/workingwoods/misc%20images/Logging%20in%20Tokyo%20-%20The%20Video.wmv). (Right-click, then select Save as... or Save target as...).

For a few backyard logs, the big bandsaw's probably more workable, but Stu's Tokyo logging thread has a wealth of information.

- Vaughn

Ian Abraham
06-26-2006, 7:20 AM
This is some pics of a new 'baby' sawmill that has just been released here in NZ. I think it should be available in the States in a few months. Electric power, circle blade and very portable. Probably not going to set you back much more than a decent chainsaw mill, and about 10 times easier to use.

It's a bit limited in log size for the trees I get to work with, but for a woodworker wanting to process a few logs... :)

Ian