PDA

View Full Version : Southern WI get-together!

John Miliunas
06-24-2006, 6:53 PM
So now it's complete. Chaffee showed up! :D The circle is now complete. We already had cheese and beer and now this guy has to show up with his long hair and more cheese!!!! :eek: (But good cheese!) :D With Frank here, we've now been able to ramp it up another notch. The women are in the house sucking on Strawberry Margarita's and we're out in the shop finally putting a dent in the beer stash and talking smart. Proof below!!! :D Wish you were here..... :) :cool:

Jim Young
06-24-2006, 7:40 PM
Is that a lemonade sitting next to Steve?

John Miliunas
06-24-2006, 9:33 PM
Well, one thing led to another and we finally decided Larry was 'bout due for a labotomy.... :D :cool:

Ken Fitzgerald
06-24-2006, 9:35 PM
Wished I was there to observe this "operation"!..........Just color me "GREEN"!

Lee DeRaud
06-24-2006, 9:37 PM
Gawd...reminds me of those brain-teasers you used to see:
"How many things are wrong with this picture?" :eek: :p :cool:

Karl Laustrup
06-24-2006, 11:59 PM
I do believe a great time was had by all involved today. Spring and Jill did a great job with the food. Thanks Jill for some great cake which topped off a great meal. :D

We all got to celebrate Spring & Jill's grand daugters first B-Day.:D :D As always Spring is a wealth of knowledge in the WW'ing dept. I always pick up ideas and get helpful hints when I visit. Problem is I can't seem to remember them by the time I get home. Damn CRS.:mad:

Well, I'm going to put this puppy to sleep for now. More to come tomorrow when we all meet at our house for some beef ribs, chicken and other stuff to eat as well as a libation or two. :D

Karl

Frank Chaffee
06-25-2006, 11:58 AM
Spring and Jill did a great job with the food. Thanks Jill for some great cake which topped off a great meal. :D Karl
Here’s Karl half way thru our dinner…only the three dessert courses left!

Karl Laustrup
06-25-2006, 12:04 PM

Looks like I'm starvin' don't it. :D :eek: :D

Karl

Frank Chaffee
06-25-2006, 12:10 PM
Shop tour was conducted and woodworking information was shared.

Here John points out to Larry how the Wixey for tablesaw prototype evolved.

Please note that no machines were powered up during this tour!

John Miliunas
06-25-2006, 12:56 PM
I do believe a great time was had by all involved today. Spring and Jill did a great job with the food. Thanks Jill for some great cake which topped off a great meal. :D

We all got to celebrate Spring & Jill's grand daugters first B-Day.:D :D
Karl

And, speaking of the Birthday Girl, here she is, in all her glory!!! Grandma made a "mini-cake", just for her to thoroughly enjoy. I think she did! :D

Frank Chaffee
06-25-2006, 1:28 PM
Grandma made a "mini-cake", just for her to thoroughly enjoy. I think she did! :D
…And her enjoyment of that cake entertained the rest of us as well!

John Miliunas
06-25-2006, 10:52 PM
This afternoon, the get-together moved on over to Karl's new place out in Wisconsin Dells. Not too often I leave the confines of my own shop but, this was certainly a great occasion to do so! :) Great food, cold beer and wonderful friends! Hey, it just don't get no better than that!!! :D And yes, I have proof once again that it really did happen!!! :D

"OK, Larry. This is how it works: First, I take a swig, then you take a swig and we'll see who finishes their drink first."

"Larry, if I give you this fifty, promise not to tell Steve what I said about him???"

"Hey Steve, is the grill hot enough yet to put the ribs on???"

"Welcome to this week's episode of 'Grilling With Beer', featuring our very own Karl Laustrup."

"No Larry, I will not come over every time you post something to check your spelling!" :eek:

I gotta' tell you folks, this was, without a doubt, one of the best weekends I've had in a long, long time! Steve, Larry and their wives were just a joy to be around! :) If I didn't know better, I'd say the lot of them were long-standing Wisconsinites! Karl and his wife, Carole, put on a fantastic spread and made everyone feel very much at home. I simply can not thank Steve, Judi, Larry and Randi for taking the time to come out and visit a few Cheeseheads! Even Frank behaved himself, for the most part! :rolleyes: Thanks again to all who made this a weekend to remember! To quote Fitz, "Creeker visits are the best!!!" :) :cool:

Ken Fitzgerald
06-25-2006, 10:55 PM
I don't know how I could be "Greener" with envy! BTW....was that Leinie beer I saw there?

John Miliunas
06-25-2006, 11:07 PM
I don't know how I could be "Greener" with envy! BTW....was that Leinie beer I saw there?

Yup Ken, that indeed was a Leinie!!! :) We had a pretty decent mix of Wisconsin brewed beverages this weekend. :D Between Karl's and my own stash, we had a couple different flavors of the Leinenkugels' (Chippewa Falls, WI), Capitol Brewery (Madison, WI) and the New Glarus Brewing Co. (of course, out of New Glarus, WI), as well as a couple mainstream "out of town" brews (MGD & Bud). Let's just say, the mood was pretty festive!!! :D :cool:

Ken Fitzgerald
06-25-2006, 11:10 PM
When living and working in Chicago....I kinda got hooked on Old Style......A local distributing company carried it here for about 6 months.....Is it still brewed?

John Miliunas
06-25-2006, 11:28 PM
When living and working in Chicago....I kinda got hooked on Old Style......A local distributing company carried it here for about 6 months.....Is it still brewed?

Yeah Ken, it's still brewed, though I'm not even sure I know who the heck even owns it anymore! I'm pretty sure they're still brewing it in LaCrosse or, at least, the "Giant 6-Pack" silo's are still there! :D Funny you should mention OS, though...I was "hooked" on it for several years!!! :rolleyes: :cool:

Ken Fitzgerald
06-26-2006, 12:14 AM
John....in the Chicago 'burb I lived in.....a friend owned a nightclub....he started serving OS on tap.....his beer sales went up. For the first couple of years I was here in Idaho.........whenever I went back on vacation via automobile.........I always found room for a couple of cases........Haven't had any in years. Next time I'm in Milwaukee....I'm going looking for some!

Frank Chaffee
06-26-2006, 1:50 AM
Ken,
Next time you’re in Milwaukee please give fair warning, as no small number of us would be honored to be able to have dinner with you.
Frank

John Hart
06-26-2006, 6:40 AM
Geez....looks like a great time guys!!! And Great Pics too!!!! I'm Greener than Ken!!!:)

Tyler Howell
06-26-2006, 6:53 AM
Looks Like a party going on.

Andy Hoyt
06-26-2006, 7:40 AM
This is Sluggo ------------- looking at a map of Saskatchewan -------- beginning to realize he's in Baja California ------------ and wondering if Spring works at a Packeraging Company.

Go Pats!

Go Cheese!

Karl Laustrup
06-26-2006, 8:44 AM
Well, it's Monday morning. The Michiganders head home today. :(

Soon after the party got going the heavens opened up and it tried to rain on our parade. All it did was move us inside. We had some eats and I trust no one went away hungry.
Frank got lost on his way so we had to sample all the food for him. ;) He finally arrived and the group was complete.

Then it was swap stories, get some ideas and generally have a good time.

Here's the whole gang. I'm pleased to say that us cheeseheads far outnumbered the invading force and I do believe we had them pretty well subdued. ;) :D It has been determined that an invasion, of Cheeseheads, on south central Michigan will happen in the not too distant future. :p :D

Steve, Judy, Larry & Randi, it was our extreme pleasure to host you for the last couple of days. Wish we all lived closer, cause I know we'd be having a good time all the time. John, Jill, Ann, Madison & Casey you are welcome anytime and again thanks to Jill & John for hosting all of us Saturday. And Frank...............what can I say. If you can find your way here again, you're welcome anytime. :D

My signature line pretty much says it all.

Karl

tod evans
06-26-2006, 8:52 AM
looks like ya`ll had a good time.

John Miliunas
06-26-2006, 8:59 AM
Next time I'm in Milwaukee....I'm going looking for some!

Ken, a bit ditto to what Frank said!!! Milwaukee is not that far away from us!!! It'd be an honor and pleasure to meet up with you! :) Let us know the next time you're here and whereabouts you'll be. It's only a couple hours or so for us, depending on which end of Milwaukee you're at. We could, at least, meet up for some grub and a cold one or two. I'll even catch the first OS for 'ya! :D

Don't know what it's like today but, quite a few years ago, I went back to Chicago to take care of my ailing grandfather. Virtually every bar I ever stopped at during my stay, had OS on tap! It was real big on the South side of town. :) Anyhow, give us a shout on your next trip! :) :cool:

Karl Laustrup
06-26-2006, 10:19 AM
Yeah Ken, no excuses next time you're in Milwaukee.

Don't make us hunt you down and expose you to your collegues that you're really a "spin head".:D

Karl

Karl Laustrup
06-26-2006, 1:47 PM
The Michiganders are officially on the road home. Left the Dells about 12:40. Said something about not going through Chicago this time. I did hear something about going via Kentucky or some such thing.

Karl

Frank Chaffee
06-26-2006, 7:16 PM
My dear newfound friends,
Steve and Judi, Larry and Randi,
With the gentle west wind to your backs, and the waxing crescent moon’s light anointing your fontanels with it’s sweetly conditioned reflected cosmic rays, may you safely find your way home, and beyond, and beyond…
‘Till we meet again,
Frank

John Miliunas
06-26-2006, 7:43 PM
My dear newfound friends,
Steve and Judi, Larry and Randi,
With the gentle west wind to your backs, and the waxing crescent moon’s light anointing your fontanels with it’s sweetly conditioned reflected cosmic rays, may you safely find your way home, and beyond, and beyond…
‘Till we meet again,
Frank

Hey Larry, when you get home, you wanna' get your thesaurus out and let the rest of us know what Frank just said? Thanks! :D :cool:

Lee DeRaud
06-26-2006, 8:06 PM
Hey Larry, when you get home, you wanna' get your thesaurus out and let the rest of us know what Frank just said? Thanks! :D :cool:"Thesaurus"...hmmm...big teeth, small arms, bad attitude?
Think I saw a movie about that one awhile back. :cool:

John Miliunas
06-26-2006, 8:12 PM
"Thesaurus"...hmmm...big teeth, small arms, bad attitude?

ROFLM......:D :D :D :cool:

Frank Chaffee
06-27-2006, 12:06 AM
"Thesaurus"...hmmm...big teeth, small arms, bad attitude?
Could that movie have been Hubristic Park, in which Tyrantasoaruswrecks got a bit out of hand?
Frank

larry merlau
06-27-2006, 7:36 AM
Hey Larry, when you get home, you wanna' get your thesaurus out and let the rest of us know what Frank just said? Thanks! :D :cool:

well we made it back guys and gals. and the drive was much better this time.. as for the thesaurus well i havnt got time to find it. i want every one to know that there is a reason john has so many posts,, he doesnt get a word in edgewize with frank and karl around so this is his avenue to vent.. and i was utterly amazed at wisconsins version of "galleger" alias frank chaffee we didnt swap to many stories just looked in each others eyes and read them. one after another:) after each one there was a grin a mile long. needles to say me and frank hit it off :) as well as the rest of the crew.. wanted everyone involved to know that this was the best wknd we have had as well the wife never had so much fun with folks she hadnt ever met. they young kids are loud with there music well those ladies were laughing so hard at johns and karls both that we could hear them down in the garage at karls:) just fantastic food at both locations and yup wisconsin has the best beer:) tried several as you can see on the photos, and every one was good to the last drop... frank did tell me which one to try next:) it was always the same answer the cold one;) thanks again. creekers are great folk!!!

Steve Ash
06-27-2006, 8:49 AM
This was far and away the best weekend I have had in a very long time if not maybe forever. The drive to Wisconsin was fine with the exception of spending 4 1/2 hours on the toll road from Chicago to Elgin, at least that inconvience was spent with good people like Randi, Judy and even Larry :)

We got to Wisconsin Dells and I called Karl to tell him where we were while the wives went on a "potty" break and Larry went on a beer run to the Citgo station we were parked at waiting for Karl.....timing couldn't have been better, cause as Larry was crossing the parking lot with the beer and wine coolers Karl came zipping in the parking lot in his car. Larry isn't a hard individual to recognize, I'm sure Karl knew it was him and made a direct bearing to run him down in his car. From that point on I knew this was going to be a lot of fun.

It was especially nice to get a tour of Karl and Caroles lovely "new" home that we all were able to follow when Karl was posting the progress and updates this year....what a Fantastic home that the pictures just don't do justice to.

Next morning Karl and Carole took us to a great restaurant for breakfast and on to Spring Green to John's house and shop and the prior posts and pictures are evidence of what a great time we all had. John had a present for us when we arrived which was very nice of him to do filled with an assortment of much needed items ( and Packers glasses!)....but packed away in a secret compartment of the tool bag was our initiation gift..."The Thong", which Larry rather enjoyed modeling for the camera wrapped around his face like a dust mask. Frank arrived shortly after that with some cheese and crackers. That cheese was was fantastic and disappered quickly. Also John brought out a platter of cheese curds that were also consumed in short order. Great cheese in Wisconsin and the beer was good too (although I was the DD for the weekend)

The women all got together and had a great time just like they had known each other forever, the laughter from these gals was loud and frequent and possibly could have been cause for the neighbors to call in the police for excesive noise.... of course us fella's kept ourselves busy in John and Karls shops.

I know I have never laughed so much, ate so well and enjoyed such a casual relaxed weekend as this one was. Hats off to Karl and Carole Grandma and Tama....John and Jill, Ann, Casey and Madison.....and Frank, for everything you did to make us feel so welcome in your homes and with your families..... I will be anxiously waiting to return the favor when you folks invade Michigan. (Avoid Chicago!)

.....as Karl says....Creeker visits are the best:D

Steve Ash
06-27-2006, 8:59 AM
.....one more thing, you cheeseheads got some mighty big pumpkins on display......

Karl Laustrup
06-27-2006, 11:36 AM
.....one more thing, you cheeseheads got some mighty big pumpkins on display......

Hey, and it's only June. Just think what that thing'll look like in September!!!! :eek: :D

Karl

Jerry Olexa
06-27-2006, 2:30 PM
Shop tour was conducted and woodworking information was shared.

Here John points out to Larry how the Wixey for tablesaw prototype evolved.

Please note that no machines were powered up during this tour!

John: LOVE the shirt!!! great choice:)

Jerry Olexa
06-27-2006, 2:31 PM

Karl What diet is that??:D

Jerry Olexa
06-27-2006, 2:45 PM
Looks like you guys had lots of fun..Sorry I missed...LOML had me pretty occupied down here w a bday party, outoftown guestsetc I toasted you all as I hoisted a Bergoff (good Wisconsin beer):D

John Miliunas
06-27-2006, 2:52 PM
Looks like you guys had lots of fun..Sorry I missed...LOML had me pretty occupied down here w a bday party, outoftown guestsetc I toasted you all as I hoisted a Bergoff (good Wisconsin beer):D

So, you never mentioned; Did Brett make it down or not??? I forgot to ask him yesterday when I talked to him. :rolleyes: :D :cool:

Steve Ash
06-27-2006, 3:02 PM
.....speaking of Bret, we got to see him, kinda.....sorta....

Jerry Olexa
06-27-2006, 3:07 PM
So, you never mentioned; Did Brett make it down or not??? I forgot to ask him yesterday when I talked to him. :rolleyes: :D :cool:

Yeah, I figured you saw Brett when I saw your new GB shirt:) Naw, he said he likes us a little but not as much as you true cheeseheads. So we just had regular people here (all lowlifes like me). LOML surprised me by sneaking in unannounced my sister from pa/NJ and her son and wife. She had a surprise TexMex party Friday night and then Saturday afternoon was the big Rib cookout, official bday party with surprise guests for both. Thursday night, my son and 2 SIl's took me out for steaks etc followed by wine,cigars, etc. We behaved but a young guy like me is really tired today after 3 nights in a row followed by a couple more w the smaller group.. My sister and family left this AM. Say Hi to Brett. We missed him esp Thur night:D BTW:cool: he's coming by Sunday for dinner

John Miliunas
06-27-2006, 3:15 PM

Gee Steve, I knew Brett is a big guy but, never thought he was quite that big!!! :eek: Heck, you'd think he's got enough $$$ to buy his own car or ride in a limo, not hitch a ride on the side of a truck!!! :eek: :D :cool:

John Miliunas
06-27-2006, 3:15 PM
Yeah, I figured you saw Brett when I saw your new GB shirt:) Naw, he said he likes us a little but not as much as you true cheeseheads. So we just had regular people here (all lowlifes like me). LOML surprised me by sneaking in unannounced my sister from pa/NJ and her son and wife. She had a surprise TexMex party Friday night and then Saturday afternoon was the big Rib cookout, official bday party with surprise guests for both. Thursday night, my son and 2 SIl's took me out for steaks etc followed by wine,cigars, etc. We behaved but a young guy like me is really tired today after 3 nights in a row followed by a couple more w the smaller group.. My sister and family left this AM. Say Hi to Brett. We missed him esp Thur night:D BTW:cool: he's coming by Sunday for dinner

Jerry, sounds like you had a marvelous B-day!!! :) Here's hoping that you have many, many more and that maybe Brett will stop by for the next one! :) :cool:

Steve Ash
06-27-2006, 3:25 PM
Heck, you'd think he's got enough $$$ to buy his own car or ride in a limo, not hitch a ride on the side of a truck!!!

Maybe if he had all your money he could....those pro athletes gotta watch their income, must be tough on those guys making ends meet.:p

Karl Laustrup
06-27-2006, 3:33 PM
Well, it is certainly good to hear from you Jerry. I was beginning to wonder if your surprise was a trip to the moon or something.:eek: :D

Glad your B-Day was a good one. We did miss you, but you are forgiven. Was this the 31st edition of your 39th B-Day? :D Whatever, many more are in order.

Karl

Karl Laustrup
06-27-2006, 3:36 PM

Is this taken as you were zooooming along on the Eisenhower Expy.,through Chitown at 70 the other day? ;) :D

If so, whoever took it had really steady hands and did a good job, one can hardly see any movement at all. :D :D

Karl

Steve Ash
06-27-2006, 3:42 PM
You are a funny guy Karl.:D .....that is taken in the bumper to bumper traffic that was NOT moving, it wasn't much of a problem holding anything steady except my temper as to why it took us 4 1/2 hours to go....40 miles or so?:mad:

Coming home the other way was maybe 60 miles longer and only one traffic issue that was maybe a hour long.:cool:

Jerry Olexa
06-27-2006, 3:42 PM
[quote=Karl Laustrup]Well, it is certainly good to hear from you Jerry. I was beginning to wonder if your surprise was a trip to the moon or something.:eek: :D

Glad your B-Day was a good one. We did miss you, but you are forgiven. Was this the 31st edition of your 39th B-Day? :D Whatever, many more are in order.

Karl[/quote

Thanks Karl: Yes you're pretty accurate:) But we'll keep it under wraps:D

Frank Chaffee
06-28-2006, 4:55 PM
Gosh,
Here it’s Wednesday, and I still have the obscenely broad smile borne of our weekend doing’s plastered to my face!

With or without Buttermilk Biscuits, I am a very shy person. Had John and Karl not offered to ferry me to the LaCrosse Creeker gathering, so graciously organized by Tyler Howell, I might not have gone! Having attended that gala event however, I now and very sincerely look forward to every opportunity to meet up with fellow Creekers.

So much so, that, since John hadn’t formally invited me to his house Saturday, I point blank told him to invite me or I would crash the party. Remember all, I know where he lives (and pray that he never moves again, as his shop now weighs four times what it did when I helped him move there).

So by hook or crook, I very willingly entered the raging maelstrom of Creeker Visit rites underway in John Miliunas’ shop. Somehow (maybe it was the beard), I recognized Larry Merlau, and we greeted one another for several minutes, exchanging outrageously provocative verbal challenges, punctuated by back slaps and penetrating eye contact. While I am adept in the eye contact department (and have several sets of spectacles for varying distances), no encounter had prepared me for the rigors of the requisite male bonding back slap ritual for meeting Larry Merlau. Unbeknownst to you who have only seen this man’s avatar, his body is a rock solid mountain of hard muscle. After our initial greeting I retrieved a pair of leather gloves from my car to protect my hands from the further injuries I well knew they would incur before the nite was over.

Larry, my brother and friend, I am so glad to meet you. Knowing you as I now do, makes the Eastern States (Michigan, etc.) seem far closer than they did before.

To step forward and out of the chronology of the gatherings events, Larry later introduced me to his wife, Randy, with an eye, and I immediately knew that her eye was for handsome men such as myself. Pleased to meet you too, Randi!

My account of the saga will continue…

Frank

Frank Chaffee
06-28-2006, 6:16 PM
So by hook or crook, I very willingly entered the raging maelstrom of Creeker Visit rites underway in John Miliunas’ shop.
Next in line of greeting was a really tall guy with a welcoming smile; Steve Ash. Now if ever you wish to meet up with a multifaceted and knowledgeable individual, who can immediately put you at ease while discussing any subject, look up my friend Steve Ash. To my best recollection of the weekend’s sharing, Steve grew up on a farm where he learned business management alongside machine maintenance; which accounts for, in part, of his moderator status on a tractor forum. That he can so easily build houses and cabinets, or rebuild muscle cars and OWW’g machinery, is no wonder to me, as I learned long ago, after moving from the big city to the county, that kids who grew up on the farm have very deep roots, and can be counted on to keep the wheels of life turning, day by day.

Good to know you Steve!

Jumping ahead once again, this time to our farewells, my friend Judy Ash, Steve’s wife, said to me while we approached our goodbye hug, “No funny business now!”, and that statement remains among my fondest memories of our shared weekend.

More to follow…

Frank

Steve Ash
06-28-2006, 9:49 PM
Next in line of greeting was a really tall guy with a welcoming smile; Steve Ash. Now if ever you wish to meet up with a multifaceted and knowledgeable individual, who can immediately put you at ease while discussing any subject, look up my friend Steve Ash.

Gee Frank, I feel like I'm reading my own obituary :D ;) :cool:
Thanks for the kind words, Judy got quite a chuckle from your statement about No funny business!

larry merlau
06-29-2006, 7:37 AM
"Larry, my brother and friend, I am so glad to meet you. Knowing you as I now do, makes the Eastern States (Michigan, etc.) seem far closer than they did before.'"
well frank, if i did anything right last wknd? it was gettin you to want to see michigan,,as for all the flowers you wrote,,well i am not that deserving. i feel it takes two to tangle and i could feel the connection from you as soon as you walked in the door. i too am a shy person, till you add some biscuits and gravy.:) and john had both..as did karl..when you almost get ran over from a fancy gold car, with a big grinnin creeker in it you can see your in the right place. kinda ironic the cashier in the party store we stopped at said to have great time and i told him we were gonna little did i know it was gonna be that much fun.. i cant say enough about the great time we had and the great freinds we met. any and all of you are always welcome at my side of the world. and frank, to you my arch enemy:D and fellow redneck we will meet again!!!:D so hop a train, or get your thumb stiffened up and head my way.