PDA

View Full Version : Amazon road building

Jim King
06-24-2006, 5:40 PM
This photo was taken yesterday and may be of interest to some of you. Two years ago this was a road built by the government to open an area close to town for settelment by homeless people from the city. The government had given 100 acres each to hundreds of people . As you can see the regrowth has been very strong, most trees from 6 to 8 inches dia. in 2 years and until the new cleaning started only a narrow path remained. There are 9 people working on the reopening and they advance about 100 yards a day clearing a swath about 50 feet wide. This will be let to dry and in Sept or Oct will be burned for final cleaning with machinery. For this phase it is a small chain saw and a lot of machetes.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-24-2006, 7:06 PM
Jim.........Some of us not familiar with life in your neck of the woods sure do appreciate your info and photos! Dang.....I thought everyplace was like Idaho?:eek: :rolleyes: :D Please keep posting!

Brett Baldwin
06-25-2006, 4:01 PM
Sure am glad I don't have to work that road crew. When I worked on a paving crew for a summer, I only needed a shovel to cut a few weeds here and there. That's probably slightly easier than mining out a path in a mountain though.