PDA

View Full Version : Getting the yard mowed---yah right

Gary Max
06-24-2006, 5:01 PM
Well just like the rest of the world Saturdays are when the yard gets mowed.
Gee it looks like rain-----ohhhh darn
Road trip
Back to Louisville---hey it's only 2 hours each way.
Out the door again at 6;00 am
Here's what followed me home.
I could not believe how much stuff they had sold in two days.
Now I know why these guys sell tools/stuff/supplies.
Anyway I bought this from Packard Woodworking.
Heck I bought the pump 6 months ago and just never spent the money on the rest of the system. I even bought the spindle extender.

Jim Becker
06-24-2006, 6:36 PM
Packard is "good people". Very nice acquisition, Gary. You' enjoy having the vacuum system available to your work. Do make sure you have your filters and pressure release valves available before you start hooking everything up. You need to be sure that the air is clean and also that you can reduce the vaccum when appropriate to avoid 'sploding work. There is a diagram in my vacuum chucking article (http://sawsndust.com/a-vacuumchuck.htm) that shows you how this works.

Ernie Nyvall
06-24-2006, 7:30 PM
Nice gloat there Gary. I got my pump with filters a month ago and haven't done anything with it yet. Don't exactly know what to do either, but I couldn't pass up the price of the pump. Guess I'll check out Jim's article.

Ernie

Bernie Weishapl
06-24-2006, 11:00 PM
Great gloat Gary. Can't wait to see it working. Hey Gary it rained here today so couldn't mow the lawn either. Darn just had to go turn. The pits isn't it.

Corey Hallagan
06-24-2006, 11:46 PM
I liked dealing with the Packards. I bought my Nova chuck from them and some kits. Very nice people.

Congrats Gary on the vacuum chuck system! I think I would be in deep trouble if I lived that close to a big goings on like the symposium!

Corey

Ken Fitzgerald
06-25-2006, 12:06 AM
Great gloat Gary!........So how big is you lawn?

Gary Max
06-25-2006, 6:18 AM
Ken-- the front yard is just over a acre.
Corey--- that is why I went twice next year they are going to be up in the north west. So I know I ain't going to that.
The folks at Packard where just great ---I have ran out of the blue gloves that I use for making pens and ordered a box from them---still got the 10% show discount. Now lets see if they ship them.
I will make time later today to take a pic of my other show purchase.

Joe Melton
06-25-2006, 5:09 PM
I guess I don't have an exclusive on procrastinating, after all. I've had all my vacuum parts sitting in a couple of boxes for a month or so, and have a half dozen bowls waiting for me to get off my duff. Anyway, I was thinking about mounting my pump on the ceiling, just to keep it out of the way, and to keep the hoses out of the way, too. Anybody have any thoughts about that?
I'm not looking to do a Smithsonian exhibition quality setup like Jim Ketron or Keith Burns. Just a normal jury rigging.
Joe

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
06-25-2006, 5:45 PM
Great gloat, Gary. Have fun with that system.

Gary Max
06-25-2006, 6:03 PM
Well since I have all this new stuff I figuered I better get to work on setting it up so I can use it.
The first fun part was turning the lathe around----I do not like it this way because I can not see the shop door anymore. Had to move the Radial arm saw and a small mountain of wood just to get enough space to spin the lathe.
Really you just jack it up about a 1/4 inch off the floor and slowly spin it around. Got that done only 3 hours work.
Added some cross memebers and a half sheet of plywood and a bunch of screws. I am going to wall mount my system.
Heck I will run out and get you folks a pic---be right back--Hehehehe