PDA

View Full Version : Lets hear from you NAVY guys

Bryan Somers
06-24-2006, 1:20 PM
After learning Tim Morton and I were both on the Enterprise at the same time and telling each other a few stories that maby should'nt be told in a public forum, I thought it would be fun to here from some of you other sailors.

I was a nuke MM1 Oct. 79-Oct85. Spent the first 2 years training in Great Lakes IL, Orlando Fla, and Idaho Falls ID. Last 4 years on the Big E in the engine room. Made 2 westpacs and alot on circles in the Indian Ocean because Moamar Khadaphi was acting up. Worked with some great guys an alot of memories.

What were you on, where were you at and what did you do.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-24-2006, 3:54 PM
ET1.....1968-1976.....Great Lakes for Bootcamp and ET school. C school ...Brunswick GA.....4 years NAS Meridian MS...air traffic control maintenance......Brunswick GA "C" school......NAS Kingsville TX...1975.....USS Orion...AS-18 Subtender.... 8 months...1976

My father was a Chief Bosun.....My youngest is a LT in the Navy Reserves Inactive.......My oldest grandson leaves for Navy bootcamp ...August 2, 2006..........4th consecutive generation to serve in the USN.

BTW.......My oldest son served 9 years active in the US Army.

David Wilson
06-24-2006, 4:08 PM
ET, Feb 1971 till Nov 1976. Boot camp in SanDiago, ETA school Treasure Island. 4 years at NAF Andrews, Finished my tour at Naval Station Annapolis. 5years, 9 months and 3 days with 1 day at sea.

Tim Morton
06-24-2006, 4:09 PM
5 years in the navy...jan 80 to jan 85 spent the first two in pax river maryland(after boot camp at Great lakes and along with photoschool in pensecola and Key West) and the last 3 in san diego where i split time between the NAS Miramar photo lab and the CVIC photo lab aboard the USS Enterprise attached to the VF213 Black Lions...which was an F-14 squadron. It was a great time for me...lots of fantastic memories. There are some people I would LOVE to run into again...:cool: :cool:

Tim Morton
06-24-2006, 4:11 PM
ET, Feb 1971 till Nov 1976. Boot camp in SanDiago, ETA school Treasure Island. 4 years at NAF Andrews, Finished my tour at Naval Station Annapolis. 5years, 9 months and 3 days with 1 day at sea.

Glad to see you survied that '1" day:D Hope it wasn't too rough on ya!!!:eek:

David Wilson
06-24-2006, 4:17 PM
My 1 day at sea was on an ocean going tug out of San Francisco. A room mate at ETA school who graduated ahead of me invited me on a short trip towing targets.

Mike Cutler
06-24-2006, 4:53 PM
Uh-Oh. Looks like we got a few too many "skimmer pukes" here on the board. I'll try to even out the score. ;)

USN 8/14/78- 8/14/84. Spent the last 85 days on terminal leave though.
Boot Camp. San Diego Ca.
Polaris Electronics "A" School in Dam Neck Va.
Polaris Missle School. Ford Island Hawaii.
USS John Marshal(SSBN 611B) out of Guam.
Moved to the Atlantic fleet when FBM Submarines were phased out of the Pacific to Make way for the Tridents.
Posiedon Missile School. Dam Neck Va.
USS Andrew Jackson(SSBN 619G) out of Holy Loch Scotland.

Got out as an MT2(SS) Missile Technician.

Funniest "No S____er" story I have to tell. I got a Squandron Accomodation from SubPac for Vandalism.
In the spring of '81 we came pack to Pearl to combine crews, and start the decommisioning process.
For some reason they decided to send the boat back out to sea for a few weeks, but with two complete crews there wasn't enough space. 30 guys got left behind to work for the Barracks Master at Arms on the Sub Base in Pearl.
The first morning at the Barracks The Senior Chief tells us that we are going to help "renovate" the barracks. They gave 30 squids sledge hammers and wrecking bars and took us up to the top floor to begin knocking out all of the walls, and destroying all of the rooms that were up there.
We also had to empty all of the rooms of whatever furniture was in them, in addition to knocking out all of the walls. They had dumpsters all along the side of building and we just threw everything off of the top floor into these dumpsters. Beds, refer's, dressers, night stands everything, and oh yeah. We had to throw it through these big plate glass windows that had to be removed also.
30 squids, with sledgehammers, destroying a barracks, and tossing everything off the top floor. I'm tellin' ya', it was truly priceless.... And that's a "No S_____er"

4 years and 10 months of doing the "Hunt for Red October". It was fun, but not enough fun for me to stay.

Glenn Clabo
06-24-2006, 5:01 PM
MMC (Select) after 10 years...but after 2 kids decided way too much at sea time was not my thing...so I didn't stick around to spend any time in the goat lockers. Boot Camp Great Lakes-1970...USS Milwaukee out of Newport...71...A-School, etc...USS Barry Athens Greece until 74...Reserve Center, Staten Island, NY until 77...USS John King out of Norfolk until 80. Went to work for the Navy at NAVSEA in DC in 80 as the Submarine Launching Systems Program Manager...took the office to Newport, RI in 98. Got 35 years and looking forward to retirement in a couple of years.

Dad did his war time duty on USS New Mexico. Son has been in the AF as an F-16 Avionics Tech for 8 years...doing his 2nd tour in Korea right now...with promise to Italy the beginning of 07.

Bryan Somers
06-24-2006, 6:28 PM
5 years in the navy...jan 80 to jan 85 spent the first two in pax river maryland(after boot camp at Great lakes and along with photoschool in pensecola and Key West) and the last 3 in san diego where i split time between the NAS Miramar photo lab and the CVIC photo lab aboard the USS Enterprise attached to the VF213 Black Lions...which was an F-14 squadron. It was a great time for me...lots of fantastic memories. There are some people I would LOVE to run into again...:cool: :cool:
I see you were gone before the filming of "Top Gun" Here I was getting short (less than 30 days) and we had to go out for 20 days so Hollywood could make some money. I did meet Tom Cruise though.

I failed to mention in my first post that my dad had 4 years in during WWII. He was a gunner and bombadier on the PBY Mariners in the Pacific.

Tim Morton
06-24-2006, 6:43 PM
I see you were gone before the filming of "Top Gun" Here I was getting short (less than 30 days) and we had to go out for 20 days so Hollywood could make some money. I did meet Tom Cruise though.

I failed to mention in my first post that my dad had 4 years in during WWII. He was a gunner and bombadier on the PBY Mariners in the Pacific.

yes I just missed that one...but it was cool seeing the footage of the hangers in the movie.

Randy Moore
06-24-2006, 8:42 PM
I hope and pray that I don't offend anyone with this.

My Father was a SeaBee during WWII. He was over in Africa among other places. Wish I had talked to him more about it 'fore he passed.

But me. I was a chicken.:o I didn't want to go to Viet Nam and that is where I would have ended up. Draft shut down about the time I was old enough, 1971. I wasn't married nor was I in school. I went into construction after about a year after HS.

I will say that I personally thank every Vet when I can. I want to thank EVERY PERSON and their families on here who has been in the service.. Freedom isn't free and a lot of men and women have paid they price for our freedom.

THANK YOU LADIES AND GENTLEMEN.:)

Mods, if you feel that this is too sensitive or it might cause trouble, PLEASE feel free to delete.

Randy

Art Mulder
06-24-2006, 9:22 PM
...we had to go out for 20 days so Hollywood could make some money. I did meet Tom Cruise though.

Back in March I was in San Diego for a conference in the Hyatt, which is right on the water. Last day I walked across the street and up a half block to this little barbecue/dive/restaurant for a supper. The walls were covered, with Top Gun memorabilia. My brain must have been running a cylinder short, as I couldn't figure out why they were so enamored of a 21 year old movie. Finally as I left the place, I happened to glance back and saw this sign painted on the wall outside which said something like "Top Gun: sleazy bar scene filmed here, May 1985".

I did get to tour the USS Midway while I was in San Diego, which was a really, really impressive thing.

best,
...art (My bro is a captain in the Canadian Air Force.)

Ken Fitzgerald
06-24-2006, 9:33 PM
Back in March I was in San Diego for a conference in the Hyatt, which is right on the water. Last day I walked across the street and up a half block to this little barbecue/dive/restaurant for a supper. The walls were covered, with Top Gun memorabilia. My brain must have been running a cylinder short, as I couldn't figure out why they were so enamored of a 21 year old movie. Finally as I left the place, I happened to glance back and saw this sign painted on the wall outside which said something like "Top Gun: sleazy bar scene filmed here, May 1985".

I did get to tour the USS Midway while I was in San Diego, which was a really, really impressive thing.

best,
...art (My bro is a captain in the Canadian Air Force.)

A movie about US Navy sailors and the movie had a sleazy bar scene it.......Hollywood never does get it right..........:eek: :rolleyes: :D

Bob Aliano
06-25-2006, 12:27 AM
Submarine service '61-'69 including training time. My old boat is on display at Naval Serviceman's Park, a museum, in Buffalo.

Mike Williams
06-25-2006, 3:56 AM
Came through college on an NROTC scholarship. Had the traditional three summer cruises, including my senior cruise on an SSBN. I applied for the Civil Engineer Corps and was fortunate to be selected. I served between 1972 - 1977, all in the Public Works area.

First duty station was Naval Torpedo Station Keyport (Washington - across from Seattle). Just as I was leaving, the Bangor Annex part of the station was selected to become the new Pacific Trident submarine base.

I liked the Pacific Northwest so much, I requested another duty station in the area. I got what I asked for - Naval Station Adak out in the Aleutians. It was a great duty station. Not much to do, but we made the best Navy friendships there.

I finished up at the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard in 1976 - 77. After Adak (with one stop light and a lot of gravel roads), Philadelphia in our bicentenial year was a real culture shock.

Mike Cutler
06-25-2006, 8:42 AM
I hope and pray that I don't offend anyone with this.

My Father was a SeaBee during WWII. He was over in Africa among other places. Wish I had talked to him more about it 'fore he passed.

But me. I was a chicken.:o I didn't want to go to Viet Nam and that is where I would have ended up. Draft shut down about the time I was old enough, 1971. I wasn't married nor was I in school. I went into construction after about a year after HS.

I will say that I personally thank every Vet when I can. I want to thank EVERY PERSON and their families on here who has been in the service.. Freedom isn't free and a lot of men and women have paid they price for our freedom.

THANK YOU LADIES AND GENTLEMEN.:)

Mods, if you feel that this is too sensitive or it might cause trouble, PLEASE feel free to delete.

Randy

Randy.
No worries from me. That was very strange time period in American history.

People enter the military for numerous reasons. For me it was Proposition 13 in California in the 70's. I was working the nite shift in an Alpha Beta supermarket, and going to college during the day. After Prop. 13 passed I had most of my curriculum canceled. 19 years old, out of college, and stocking shelves in a supermarket. Well, something had to change. I went into the military for the school, and the ability to see more than just So. Cal. I ended up stationed in Groton Ct, and have stayed here since I got out. For me it worked out. It has to be the right decision for the individual, or it can be a miserable experience for everyone until it's over. It wasn't the right decision for you. No crime in that.

Don Baer
06-25-2006, 11:29 AM
Boot camp in San Diego 1965
Electrician Mate A School San Diego
Nuke Power school Velljo Ca
Nuke Training Idaho
Sub School Grotton Conn.
USS Nathan Hale SSBM 623 while in the ship yarsd undergoing refueling and sea trials.
Took boat to Guam
Made 7 patrols on Gold crew.
honorable discharge 1971.

I see that there are a few other bubble heads out there to bad about all of you other guys who road around on targets.

My son is a Navy Corpsmen stationed at camp LeJune. He has had 1 deployment with the marines in Iraq and now is assigned to the Navel Hospital.

Kirk (KC) Constable
06-25-2006, 11:35 AM
Newly minted Ensign stepson is visiting his mommy this weekend. I still can't believe they're gonna let him drive a jet!

KC

Jerry Olexa
06-25-2006, 2:12 PM
OCS @ Newport, R.I . Commissioned and sent to Supply Corps school in Athens, Ga for 6months.Assigned USS Chilton APA38, Div officer, disb officer etc. Had tours in Med, Carib and NY shipyd. The liberty times cannot be recounted here:) Bought car in France and brought it back to US on the ship. Many happy times in Europe, Carib .Then I was young, single, traveling, ans surrounded by good guys). Then assigned shore duty in Navy AnnexWash.D.C, where I met my bride to be. She worked In Joint Ch Staff office in Pentagon and even w my secutity clearances, I was not allowed in her office..:) About a year later, we were married . I left active duty, started with P&G but stayed active in reserves for about 5 yrs. Ended up Lt. I have many great memories of that time plus met LOML. A very positive, fun time (you'll notice no reference to specific time frames in that I'm such a young guy:D . It was before vietnam and Korea but after the big wars so I escaped w no scars). 3 1/2 years of fun and trying to grow up...:cool: :)

duke bryant
06-26-2006, 3:41 AM
Raised my right hand in 1998 and went to school until 2003...

Then On the USS ASHLAND LSD 48 for 2 years,
Now I am on my Shore duty, and I am in the desert playing in the sand.

Duke

Andy Hoyt
06-26-2006, 7:53 AM
HM2 1975 - 1984
Third Marine Division - Okinawa ----------- oorah
USS Nassau LHA4 - Norfolk --------------- plankowner
SERE Insructor - Rangeley, Maine --------- boots boots boots

Steve Hayes
06-26-2006, 9:45 AM
My father was in the Navy in the late 50's early 60's on the Destroyer the U.S.S Brain.

Doyle Alley
06-26-2006, 10:12 AM
I was a Supply Officer. Did 2 years as disbursing/sales officer on the USS Paul FF1080. A little over a year after returning to civilian life, I decided to go back to school for my 2nd bachelor's degree and needed money. So, I went into the drilling reserve and was the executive officer of a small fuel handling unit for a couple of years.

Ken Garlock
06-26-2006, 7:16 PM
I was not in the Navy, but a friend sent me this today and I think all you "old salts" will enjoy watching.

http://objflicks.com/SeaPower.htm

Jim Davenport
06-27-2006, 8:15 AM
I did twenty years, went in in 1963, retired in 1983.
Boot camp Great Lakes
USS Tingy DD539
PACRESFLT San Diego CA
BT "A" School Great lakes IL
USS Dixie AD 14
USS Hollister DD788
USS Henry W Tucker DD875
NAS lemore CA.
USS Flint AE 32
NTC Great Lakes IL.
USS Niagara Falls AFS 3
Looking back The Navy was one of the smart things I did in my life:D

Lee Schierer
06-27-2006, 12:44 PM
Let's see, I did 17 years as and AF brat, then did four years at the Boat School in Annapolis that included summer cruises on the USS York County LST 1175 and USS Saratoga, after commissioning I did one year on the USS Hugh Purvis DD-709, one year on the USS Nantahala AO-60, six months in mine warfare school and 2-1/2 years in Helicopter minesweeper command and control that included deployments to Egypt twice to open the Suez Canal and clear their northern coast of mines, followed by 21 years in the reserves in various units and as commanding officer of reserve units for about 14 of those reserve years. I retired as an O-6 in July 1997.

Sea stories, well I can hold my own in most discussions of that type.

Lee
USNA-'71

Ken Fitzgerald
06-27-2006, 1:40 PM
8 years and 8 days in the Navy active duty. Only 8 days at sea. I don't know that I'm qualified to tell sea stories..........:eek: :D A couple of years ago I did ride the USS Carl Vinson for 3 days......that's 11 days at sea.....Naw ...still not enough to tell sea stories.

Roger Fitzsimonds
06-27-2006, 1:41 PM
1970 boot camp at San Diego.
USS Bauer DE-1023 5 months on deck force then cook striker. 5 months.
Vietnam aboard the ARG-4 mike boat tender in the MeKong River about 25 miles from Saigon. after my year I went to El Paso Tx. for language and advisor training for 45 weeks. We pulled out 2 days before my depol date back to Vietnam.
From their I went to US Naval Hospital Guam. as a cook. had a ball with 35 cilivians working for us there was a party somewhere on the Island to go to every weekend.
Reenlisted for a school and went to training deviceman A school in Memphis.for 9 months, from there to Corpus Christi tx to work on flight simulators. 2 years later I went back to Memphis for the advanced training for 11 months . from there I went to Ford Island Hawaii. wepassed the memorial every work day on the ferry. I spent the remainder of my tour ther.

I was selected for Chief but the civilianized my rate and when I applied they said they wanted a collage educated person. So I got out . I was a blast while it lasted.

Roger

Glenn Clabo
06-27-2006, 2:45 PM
8 days????!!??:p
I had more than 8 days backing down...:cool:

John Mihich
06-28-2006, 2:59 AM
USN 67 - 74; OS2 when I got out. Great Lakes 7/67 - 4/68 then to Pearl on the USS Jenkins DD447; decom in 69. Went to Uss McMorris DDE 1036. Then on the the Mt Baker AE-34 till I got out in 74. Several West Pacs; a Golden Shell back, and two Med cruises. The McMorris was assigned to the Air Force while I was on her. Interesting assignments.

Jim Poelstra
06-28-2006, 9:07 AM
Glad to see a couple of AE sailors here..... :)

USS Paricutin AE-18 1964 - 1968

http://www.ussparicutin.com

Scott Loven
06-28-2006, 9:29 AM
ET from 74-78. Spent 3.5 years stationed at Ft Story VA in a detachment to the US Navel oceanographic office. Spent 6 months living in a tent in Saint Croix USVI on a beach. Spent another 6 months in Panama at an abandoned Coast Guard station at Punta Mala. Only spent 11 days at sea, and that was as a passenger!
Scott

Bruce Shiverdecker
06-28-2006, 4:58 PM
SH-2 here. Kept all the folks on The USS Springfield, CLG7 in everything that made them happy - "Hawian Punch, Reese Peanutbutter Cups, Sundries, and things to send home for birthdays, and other holidays."

Boot camp in Great Lakes, TAD to The National Shooting Matchs at Camp Perry Ohio 1967, then on to the Springfield through 1968. While I was on board, she was Com 6th Fleet and Com 2nd Fleet.

Bruce
USNR

PS: Wish I had stayed in for the 20. Oh well 20/20 hindsight!

Chris Padilla
06-28-2006, 5:12 PM
My Dad was in the Navy for 20 years, '61-'81. He was some kind of radio opertor in the Gulf of Tonkin (USS J-something or other) operating out of Subic Bay, Philippines...where I was born in 1969. My brother was born in Hawaii (Waipahu), and we spent 4 years living in Japan (Yokosuka and Yokohama) as well. He retired as a recruiter in his last 2-3 years of service.

Tim Morton
06-28-2006, 8:46 PM
My Dad was in the Navy for 20 years, '61-'81. He was some kind of radio opertor in the Gulf of Tonkin (USS J-something or other) operating out of Subic Bay, Philippines...where I was born in 1969. My brother was born in Hawaii (Waipahu), and we spent 4 years living in Japan (Yokosuka and Yokohama) as well. He retired as a recruiter in his last 2-3 years of service.

Ever go back to Subic bay? The Philippino people are second to NONE!! Loved the time I was able to spend there. We could learn SO much from the people there.

Don Abele
06-28-2006, 10:56 PM
Let's see...joined in '87 then to Hospital Corpsman "A" school across the tracks in Great Lakes.

From there went to the Bethesda, MD for Pathology "C" school before heading out west to spend a few years with the Marines at Camp Pendleton, CA.

Left California for the desert during the war and came back home to be reassigned to the military medical examiners in Washington, DC.

Left there to go back to the Marines at Camp Lejeune for a year and then into medical research for another year (in Washington, DC) before deciding to go into the submarine community. Went to school in Groton, CT for 18 months specializing in submarine/hyperbaric medicine.

Did IDC tours on the USS JACKSONVILLE (SSN 699), USS ATLANTA (SSN 712), USS FLORIDA (SSBN 728 - GOLD), USS FLORIDA (SSBN 728 - BLUE), and lastly on the USS FLORIDA (SSGN 728) - yes that was 6 years on the same boat, but different crews!

Somewhere in all that sea time (12 years) I did also do a tour at the shipyard in Kittery, Maine where I worked in family practice at the clinic there.

After leaving the FLORIDA when she was converted to a new SSGN, I wound up in my current, and by far the best, assignment. I am the Command Senior Chief in charge of the Sailors aboard the USS CONSTITUTION in Boston.

Where do I go from here? Not sure, but I'm staying with it as the Navy still keeps me happy and challenges me. Besides, I love what I do.

Be well,

Doc

Bruce Shiverdecker
06-28-2006, 11:52 PM
Thanks Ken........................... That was FUN and brought back memories.

Bruce

Chris Padilla
06-29-2006, 4:45 PM
Ever go back to Subic bay? The Philippino people are second to NONE!! Loved the time I was able to spend there. We could learn SO much from the people there.

I heard Mt. Pinatubo took car of the Naval base in Subic Bay. I left the Philippines at 6 months old unfortunately...zero memories of the place. :(

Jesse Espe
06-29-2006, 10:13 PM
- Spent 4 years getting an education on the Navy's Dime
- USS JOHN HANCOCK (DD 981) Feb 97-Oct 98
- Spent a year (and change) in Charleston, SC in the Nuke Pipeline
- Spent 2000-2001 in the Big E Main Machinery Rooms
- Had enough of Nuke Power, so I got more education on the Navy Dime 2002-2003
- USS KAUFFMAN (FFG 59) 2004-2005
- Nuke power hadn't had enough of me yet, so....USS CARL VINSON (CVN 70)

I've had an awesome time so far - The hours suck, but I love the job and the people are great, too. Most important, though, is that the LOML backs me 1000%. It just wouldn't work without her undying support. Heck, every once in a while, she lets me make sawdust too!

Cheers,
Jesse

Mike Cutler
06-29-2006, 10:25 PM
After leaving the FLORIDA when she was converted to a new SSGN, I wound up in my current, and by far the best, assignment. I am the Command Senior Chief in charge of the Sailors aboard the USS CONSTITUTION in Boston.

Where do I go from here? Not sure, but I'm staying with it as the Navy still keeps me happy and challenges me. Besides, I love what I do.

Be well,

Doc

Hey Doc. If I visit the USS Constitution, and ask for the "COB", will I get to meet ya'? What is the name for the "COB" on a surface ship?

I ain't doin' no flu shots though.:eek:, ;)

Former MT2(SS). Rockethead.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-29-2006, 10:35 PM
-
- Nuke power hadn't had enough of me yet, so....USS CARL VINSON (CVN 70)

Jesse

Jesse.........when were you aboard the Vinson? My youngest son was a ships company officer aboard the Vinson. He went on their cruise in July of 2001. They rattled Afghanistan. Returned stateside in January 2002. Rode here south again.....got out in August of 2002. FLew off her to Perth and then commercial to the States. In fact, I rode her from San Francisco to Bremerton in November of 2000? IIRC.

Monte Milanuk
06-30-2006, 2:00 AM
Sept. 1991 thru Oct. 1997

Boot camp @ NTC Orlando FL
Nuclear Field EM 'A' School, Orlando FL
Naval Nuclear Propulsion School, Orlando FL
Nuclear Power Training Unit 'A1W' (aka 'Accident In Waiting'), Idaho Falls ID
Plankowner USS Columbia SSN-771, Electric Boat Shipyard & Submarine Base New London, Groton CT (also spent way too much time TAD to the Hartford, SSN 768 for initial testing)
Split-toured to USS Philadelphia SSN-690, Groton CT.

Medical discharge Oct. 1997 as EM2/SS.

Worked in a steel mill (GST Steel in Kansas City MO) for a short while, then a public utility in Nebraska (home state) for a couple years. Been working at a public utility as a hydro power plant operator in central Washington state for about five years now. The nuke program might have been a royal PITA, and the pay sucked, but once I got out those credentials have been worth their weight in gold ;)

Keith Beck
06-30-2006, 9:00 AM
Another Big "E" Sailor here. I served as Personnel Officer and Ship Sec. on the ENTERPRISE from 99-02. We were actually departing the Arabian Gulf and headed home went 9/11 happened, so we made a U-turn and headed back. That resulted in the deployment being a month longer than planned, but we were the first to get in the fight.

I'm still on active duty (almost 21 years now). Started out as an E-1, made it to Chief, then got commissioned. Not sure how much longer I'll hang around. I had originally intended to only do my initial 4 years - so much for those plans! I've been able to sail completely around the globe, visit numerous foreign countries, and live in CA, HI, and VA. All things a boy from the backwoods of DE would never have been able to do if it weren't for the Navy. I've got no complaints! :)

Keith

Jesse Espe
07-01-2006, 9:56 AM
Ken, I reported onboard July 2005 and have been there ever since. Been an interesting tour as far as nukes go - seen some stuff some people don't see in their entire careers.

Jesse Espe
07-01-2006, 10:01 AM
Keith, I remember interfacing with you on a semi-regular basis as the Shipsec for CAPT (now RADM) Winnefeld. Mostly qual boards, Level of Knowledge interviews, an CASREPS (i.e. "Is the CO in? Need him to send out update 29...)

Guess no matter what people say, it is a small Navy after all...

Jesse

Bryan Somers
07-01-2006, 3:13 PM
- Spent 2000-2001 in the Big E Main Machinery Rooms

Cheers,
Jesse

Jesse which MMR?

I spent 4 years and a month in #2 MMR along with about 452 million ORSE drills:rolleyes:

Ryan Lee
07-24-2006, 11:36 PM
FC1 Here. I'm stationed on the USS Samuel B Roberts out of Mayport, FL. Good to know that we have some other sailors here.

Earl Reid
07-25-2006, 1:02 AM
My Dad was in the Navy in WW2, I tried to enlist in 1950, but was turned down due to heart problems. My son retired after 22 yrs in the Navy. He was Chief and then became a officer and retired as a Lt.
He served on several ships including the USS New Jersey and the USS Midway. (I was on a Tiger cruise for 9 days on these 2 ships. ) That was a real honor.
My daughter and son in law will be retiring from the Navy in a few years.
Earl

Chip Charnley
07-25-2006, 9:39 AM
Spent a little over 5 years active duty. Got out of the reserves as an OT1 when they sh*tcanned the regs allowing beards (the only time I haven't had one since 1972 was 9 weeks of boot camp).
FEB 76-Feb77 Dependent Husband Key West and NavFac Cape Hatteras
1977 Boot Camp Orlando and FEASWTRNCENLANT Norfolk
78-80 NavFac Argentia, Newfoundland, Canada
81-82 NavFac Keflavik, Iceland with more than a few excursions
on P3's
82-85 Reserves in Norfolk and dependent husband again

Loved the job hated the chicken **** regs. Canceled re-enlistment plans when my Senior Chief told me he reduced all my eval marks including my knowledge of and ability to do my job because he didn't think I kept my hair and beard cut short enough. This was just after I finished a 6 month tour as the youngest and only OT2 ever to hold the position of watch supervisor at NavFac Kevlavik. Now OT's don't even exist having become short duty stations for Sonar Techs. Makes sense given today's tech but it sure was nice to be in a job category that was 70% manned by women and had less than 2% ocean going billets (even if I was married at the time). :D

Robert Mickley
07-25-2006, 10:23 AM
Let's see, I did 17 years as and AF brat, then did four years at the Boat School in Annapolis that included summer cruises on the USS York County LST 1175 and USS Saratoga, after commissioning I did one year on the USS Hugh Purvis DD-709, one year on the USS Nantahala AO-60, six months in mine warfare school and 2-1/2 years in Helicopter minesweeper command and control that included deployments to Egypt twice to open the Suez Canal and clear their northern coast of mines, followed by 21 years in the reserves in various units and as commanding officer of reserve units for about 14 of those reserve years. I retired as an O-6 in July 1997.

Sea stories, well I can hold my own in most discussions of that type.

Lee
USNA-'71
The interesting things you learn about your fellow woodworkers. :) Dad was never in the service, some medical condition kept him out. Oldest Brother was a Marine, spent most of his time as a driver in DC. Oldest sister was married to an Air forse man, Next sister married an ex sailor who went back in after they where married. Next sister was a Marine stationed at El Toro. Married a Marine. And My nephew Wade was a Marine.

I was an army grunt for about 30 days, Failed an eye test during the first week of basic, uncorrested vision wasn't good enough. took them 3 weeks to procces me out, go figure. :D

Lee
My BIL was attached to either HM12 or HM16 out of Norfolk. I know he spent time in Nam de-mining some of the harbors over there. When he was in the first time he was in SAR, when he went back he was in Norfolk with Helicopter minesweeper operations. went from there to NWC at China Lake. Some school in TN then back to Norfolk. after that he managed to get transfers back and forth from the HM units and VA65, if I remeber right. His Sea time was spent ont he Eisinhower CVN-69

Even though I wasn't in the military long enough to count for anything I have some fond memories.

At 12 I spent the summer at El Toro. Thats where I got my fascination with military hardware, specifcly F4 phantoms. My BIL there wworked on what was called the SAT sight. The launched and recovered planes traing the Marine pilots for carrier operations. I spent many a day out there following his gunnery sargent around.

Spent a couple summers in Norfolk. thats where I first got to sit in a CH-53. My bil took me down to the D&S piers many times. Man those where fun times.

Sister Linda who was married to the sqid was a navy ombudsman. The base commander at Oceana once told my BIL he felt sorry for him, when he asked him why, the commander told Ron that "your wife scares me" :D

To all the guys out there that have served and still are serving,

Thank you!!!

you guys do a great job that some people don't appreciate. I've met some great military guys in my life who have given me some great childhood memories.

Jesse Espe
07-28-2006, 6:04 PM
Bryan, #1 and #4 MMR's, as I owned the forward group. I spent a lot of time in 4plt, as that's where I stood watch. 2MMR routinely scared the crap out of me - I was sure that Freddy Kreuger lived in Lower Level...

Keith Beck
08-03-2006, 9:18 PM
Jesse,

I knew that name sounded familiar! You're right, it is a small Navy! If I had known back then you were a woodworker, we'd of had a lot more to talk about than the CO's whereabouts. But, then again, I was living in Navy housing at that time which forced a hiatus from woodworking, so I wouldn't have had much to offer.

Glad to see you're doing well and STAYING NAVY!

Keith

Doyle Alley
08-07-2006, 11:55 AM
Supply Officer. Served on the USS Paul (FF-1080) as Disbursing/Sales officer and later in the reserves as XO of Tankfarm 208.

Active Duty 1984-1987, Active Reserves 1989-1991

Wolf Kiessling
08-07-2006, 12:37 PM
Boot camp Great Lakes
USS Tingy DD539
PACRESFLT San Diego CA
USS Dixie AD 14
USS Hollister DD788
USS Henry W Tucker DD875
NAS lemore CA.
USS Flint AE 32
NTC Great Lakes IL.
USS Niagara Falls AFS 3

When were you in Niagara Falls, Jim? I was aboard from Jan 70 - Jul 74......

Wolf Kiessling
08-07-2006, 12:38 PM
Boot camp Great Lakes
USS Tingy DD539
PACRESFLT San Diego CA
USS Dixie AD 14
USS Hollister DD788
USS Henry W Tucker DD875
NAS lemore CA.
USS Flint AE 32
NTC Great Lakes IL.
USS Niagara Falls AFS 3

When were you in Niagara Falls, Jim? I was aboard from Jan 70 - Jul 74......

Wolf Kiessling
08-07-2006, 12:47 PM
Entered as Sr in 1956 and retired as RMC in 1976.....

USS Haynsworth
USS Chevalier
USS Lynde McCormick
USS Vogelgesang
USS Niagra Falls
NAVCOMMSTA Londonderry
RM "A" School instructor San Diego
NAVCOMMSTA San Francisco (at Treasure Island)

David Wilson
08-07-2006, 12:53 PM
Wolf
When were you on TI ?
I was at ETA school there from july 1971 till july of 1972.

David Wilson
08-07-2006, 12:53 PM
Wolf
When were you on TI ?

Wolf Kiessling
08-07-2006, 2:12 PM
Wolf
When were you on TI ?

I was at TI from Aug 74 until Jul 76 when I retired. Our parent command was actually NAVCOMMSTA SFran, at Stockton. We were a tenant command at TI mainly to serve the communication needs of COMTWELVE. However, we also served the communication requirements of all the various commands located on TI as well as the ships in the area.

harry strasil
09-17-2006, 11:03 PM
My Father was a SeaBee in WW2, 42 to 45.

I joined navy in 62 san diego boot camp,
port hueneme Steelworker "A" school,
joined MCB 3 and went to Okinawa as mount out battalion,
63 went to Nahkom Phanom, Thailand to build air base there.
Back to states and Water Well Drilling school to drill in Nam,
early64, Balboa Hospital as patient,
late 64, Long Beach aboard USNH Haven as patient,
early 65, medical hold at Long beach in recieving barracks office.
April 65, seperated
January 68 discharged.

Brad Saltvick
09-25-2006, 8:59 PM
I registered here on the creek just to respond to this thread. I have been lurking for a while now.

I couldn't get into the nuke program cuz I am color blind. I tried to be cryptology tech (think that's what they called it) but failed the FLAT (Foreign Language Aptitude Test). Ended up being a Weather guesser.

Boot Camp in San Diego - Dec '73
Aeroghapher's Mate A and C school, Lakehurst, NJ Spring and Summer 1974
USS Tripoli (LPH-10) For the rest of Active Duty. Out in 1977 as AG2.
I did have two separate TAD assignments to LPD's for Marine excercises to Alaska. Liberty in Anchorage, Vancouver, BC and San Francisco, CA

6 years of Active Reserves. As an AG1 I was qualified as a Flight Forecaster.
San Diego, CA. - NAS North Island
Glenview IL - NAS Glenview
Alameda, CA - NAS Alameda

Jeffrey Makiel
09-27-2006, 11:53 PM
I never was in the Navy, but I worked for the Navy as a civilian. Did mostly overhaul work on the oil fired carriers: USS Forrestal, Independence, Kitty Hawk, Constellation and Kennedy. Also worked on other ships like LHA, LST, DDG, LCC and LPH. ...I probably missed a few alphabets.

Looking at the list above, I feel old. I think I shave with many of these ships now.

-Jeff :)

Nancy Laird
09-29-2006, 9:55 PM
I worked as a Navy disbursing clerk (civilian) at NRFC Norfolk '66-'68, and NAS Pax River '68-'71. Hubby joined up in '65,
Boot camp at San Diego,
"A" school Memphis,
VP-5 at NAS Jax (deployments to Philippines and Rota)
"B" school Memphis,
AIMD NAS Pax River,
NSU Souda Bay Crete,
NSA Naples,
USS Nimitz, (he was part of the team that prepared the choppers for the Iran hostage rescue mission, and don't let ANYONE tell you those choppers weren't ready!!!)
NODAC (Naval Occupational Development and Analysis Center) Washington,
USS Saipan,
NAESU (Naval Aviation Engineering Service Unit) Oceana,
retired in '93 as an E-8 from VF-84 NAS Oceana.

GO NAVY!!!!!!

Don Baer
09-29-2006, 11:50 PM
"Is there anything more satisfying than making sawdust? "

Serving your country rates up there..

Holden McGroyn
10-02-2006, 4:50 AM
Joined in 1975, was a hospital corpsman (8404) for 13 years (HMCS) then got a commision in the Medical Service Corps in 1988.

Enlisted tours included Great Lakes from 75-77, then was attached to a Vigilante squadron is Key West until 1980. Two tours with the Marines, first in Camp Pendleton, then Okinawa. Last enlisted tour was with MARFORPAC in Hawaii. Since 88, it's been Pensacola, Persian Gulf, Groton, Hawaii, Washington, DC, Bahrain, University of Pittsburgh, DC again and back to Hawaii for the final tour.

Deploying to Iraq in January for about 19 months, will retire about 6 months after I get back.

I haven't filled out a resume in 31 years.....

Jack Dickey
10-08-2006, 11:13 PM
HHMM lets see Oct 1974-January 1986 GMGC (0877) ..
Boot in Orlando
BE&E in Great Lakes
To the Green House for GM "A" school
USS Connole (DE/FF1056) Mk42 Mod9 5'54
USS Harry E. Yarnell (CG17) 3"50
NAS Pensacola shore duty , Brig Staff
Green House for GM "C" school Mk45 Mod 0 5"54 LWGM
USS Stump (DD978)
Lots of good times , lots of bad times , shoulda stayed ..
COB on a surface ship is Command Master Chief or Senior Chief
Connole is in the Greek Navy
Yarnell in mothballs in Philly , I think , was sold for scrap , then the company got slammed by the Government , before they got her
Stump was sunk off NC coast with Comte De Grasse in June this year .. Got pics somewhere ..
Blue Nose
Order of the Ditch ( Suez Canal )
Order of the Ditch ( Panama Canal )
Shellback
Golden Shellback
I can tell the S*** is gonna get deep around here ..
Quite a few of the Officers I was with flagged ..
One just became Com 7 .. VADM W.D. Crowder , weps boss on Stump
One was Com 6 , ADM T.J. Lopez , CO of Stump
Was a long strange trip indeed

Ed Scolforo
10-15-2006, 3:08 PM
I just found this thread, so: 1966, boot camp Great Lakes, shore duty in Norfolk at CINCLANTFLEET, Ship Serviceman (barber), learned by practicing on the marine confinees in the brig on base. A few threatened to kill me. 1967-1968: USS Purdy DD734, reserve training destroyer out of Fall River, MA. Rate: SHB3. 1969- 05/1970: Bahrain, Saudi Arabia on the USS Valcour, AGF1. Rate, SHB2. USN, Never Again!
Ed