PDA

View Full Version : G0453 15" Planer ?

Al Willits
06-24-2006, 1:15 AM
I think you guys are gonns drive me to the poor house, I have decided on the York Jointer, and will order tomm, but I had settled on the 13" Dewalt planer and was all set to buy one...now I'm not so sure, been looking at the 16" jet for about a grand and the Grizzly G0453 for a little bit less and having second doubts

In case I can't talk myself out of this madness, any thoughts on either planer?
And do I really need a larger planer?
I do, don't I?;)

tia

Al who's blaming this forum for all this. :D

Mark Rios
06-24-2006, 1:20 AM
Griz 15" planer and YES you do!

:D

Allen Bookout
06-24-2006, 1:29 AM
And do I really need a larger planer?
I do, don't I?;)
:D

Of course you do!!!!!!! Allen

Seth Poorman
06-24-2006, 1:29 AM
Bigger is always better !!
I bought a Powermatic 18" and now I wish I had a 24"...:eek: ......:D

Brian Hale
06-24-2006, 7:01 AM
Tell Wilke to throw one on the truck with your jointer. Both the Yorkcraft and Bridgewood are fine machines you won't regret owning.

You'll save some shipping also.

Brian :)

Al Willits
06-24-2006, 7:55 AM
Tell Wilke to throw one on the truck with your jointer. Both the Yorkcraft and Bridgewood are fine machines you won't regret owning.

You'll save some shipping also.

That does make sense don't it...:)

Thanks all, going broke, but loving it.

Al who wonders if welfare will pay for wood working tools, seems to pay for everything else...:)

tod evans
06-24-2006, 8:59 AM
al, i hate to tell you this but all the hand tools required to support the power equipment cost untold times more money. as a hobby or vocation woodworking is something you can spend your entire life trying to master all the aspects of, and acquiring the various tools with which to attempt mastry.....02 tod

Al Willits
06-24-2006, 9:13 AM
Just did some figuring, the Dewalt is $499 and it looks like I'd need the mobile table $129, folding tables $50 and possibly the dust collector at $49, that comes to about $730, now add Minn sales tax at 6.5% and we're up to about $780.

The York 15" comes with cast iron tables, mobile enclosed base, 4" dust hood, magnetic starter, and a host of other features, Dewalt weighs 100#, York 672#.....beginning to see the error of my ways...:)

Anyway, wife actually agreeded the Dewalt wasn't quite the deal we thought and I'm ordering the York planer along with the jointer, we'll be on bread and water for a bit, but I think I'll be much happier.

Al ... who used to think action pistol shooting was expensive.

Brian Hale
06-24-2006, 9:22 AM
Don't forget to add the Byrd cutter head to the jointer and planer! :p :p

Brian who LOVES to spend other folks money ;)

Al Willits
06-24-2006, 9:44 AM
Don't forget to add the Byrd cutter head to the jointer and planer! :p :p

Brian who LOVES to spend other folks money ;)

Ahhhhh....you are trying to get me killed...right, wasn't exactly easy convincing the wife I "need" these to power tools as it was, especailly when some bozo salesman at the Borg tells her a 4 1/2" jointer and a $149 dollar planer will do everything I need.....:)

If I remember right, the guy at Wilkes actually said to run the jointer with the stock blades and he'd bet I'd be happy, seems they cut quite nicely.
I'm figuring the planer should be more than what I need with the stock blades.

I do have to save a few bucks to buy wood....:D

Tod, ya I know its a never ending battle to get ALL the tools you need, but after these I'll have all the major dollar items taken care of, and I can nickle dime it from here.....er...maybe not nickle dime, anyway, I can now buy stuff as I need it..

Al

Russ Massery
06-24-2006, 10:11 AM
I own the Yorkcraft planer no comparison between it and a "lunch box" planer.The lunch box planer feels like a toy. I up graded twice before getting the Yorkie. Don't make the same mistake. I think you''ll be happy with either the Grizzly or the Yorkcraft. In my opinion there the same machine. Just painted different colors. The yorkcraft will cost a little more,but I was much happier the way the Yorkie was shipped. My .02. (sorry Tod)

Al Willits
06-24-2006, 10:17 AM
Thanks Russ, its a done deal, waiting for the wife to deposit the funds to the check card (debit card?) this morning, so I can order both from York.

Just sitting here waiting.....come on Babe, call....waiting...waiting...

Wife works at the credit union we bank at if your wondering.

Al

Allen Bookout
06-24-2006, 10:39 AM
Al,

Have you thought about having them throw a shaper on the truck also? Just a thought. Might save more shipping cost.

Allen

glenn bradley
06-24-2006, 11:04 AM
I love my baby dewalt but, I bought not knowing if I would really take to this WW thing. You have the luxury of knowing you already love it and can spend once. While you're still happily planing and jointing away, I'll be spending what you're spending now just to catch up. Learn from those of us that scrimped at the beginning and enjoy those tools for life! ;-)

Brad Townsend
06-24-2006, 11:08 AM
As the satisfied owner of a DeWalt 735, I will tell you emphatically that you are doing the right thing. With tables, I've got $500 invested in my 735 (made my own stand) which is probably $300-400 less than you will spend, but in ten years, you will have a good planer that's just nicely broken in. I'll have a boat anchor.:rolleyes:

John Miliunas
06-24-2006, 11:10 AM
Just as a little added "insider info", when you put your order in with Wilke, see if the sales person can't "throw in" a spare set of planer blades right away! They did that for me, as I was a "long standing" customer with multiple purchases. A jointer AND a planer constitutes "multiple purchases", me thinks! :D (Hey, can't hurt to try, right?:D ) :cool:

Al Willits
06-24-2006, 11:54 AM
Lets see...shaper huh? You wanna call the shebeast and tell her that ??? I sure ain't....:)

I'll ask on the blades, they just toss them in, no charge?? cool.

Brad, ya I figured at 58 I would try and shorten the learning curve as much as possible and getting this stuff should last my lifetime.

Also for me, the total cost of each was close enough to justify it to the little gal.

Al who likes a happy wife.....as he has to sleep sometime..

Al Willits
06-24-2006, 12:18 PM
OK, just ordered and no free blades....o-well...:)

Next week I'll get to figure out how to get over a 1000 pounds of cast iron up my drive way and into my garage and gonna be loving it..:D

Once again, thanks all.

Al

Brian Hale
06-24-2006, 1:10 PM
Ah yes, another Wilkeite into the fold. :cool:

You are gonna be one VERY happy camper Al!! ;) Wish you were closer, i'd give you hand with the moving and even bring the beverages to toast with. :D

Al Willits
06-24-2006, 1:36 PM
:)
Ah yes, another Wilkeite into the fold. :cool:

You are gonna be one VERY happy camper Al!! ;) Wish you were closer, i'd give you hand with the moving and even bring the beverages to toast with. :D

I wish you were closer too, I'd supply the beverage, just need the muscle..:D

I'm gonna go down to the end of the driveway and wait....haven't been this excited since the wife and watched that movie and I.....er....never mind...

It is fun to get new power tools though, especially big ones..

I'm betting I'll have a whole new bunch of newbie questions for ya all, like what's wrong when I put a board into the planer and it sends it across the street into the winshield of the neighbors new car????

Have a great weekend all, I sure am.. :)

Al who will be having a saw dust sale soon..:)

Brian Hale
06-24-2006, 1:41 PM
Al, you do have a dust collector, don't you? Those planers require one.

Should have mentioned that earlier i guess,,,,,,,,,,

Al Willits
06-24-2006, 5:42 PM
I have on order a Dustforce from woodcraft, I also have a 1/3hp exhaust fan I run now, but thanks for the concern.

Al

Al Willits
06-27-2006, 7:05 PM
Ordered the 8" York jointer and 15" York planer from Wilkes on Saturday, I was concerned I wouldn't get it this week, as I'm off this week.
Get a call Monday and seems the credit card didn't go though, got that straightened out and figured no way I was gonna get it this week...

Today I called the trucking outfit and they asked if I was gonna be home tomm?
Gotta admit Monday to wendsday delivery time ain't bad, I'm impressed...:)

Heck I can't get three day service when I next day air by UPS...:D

Anyway, gotta thank all those who helped me in my decision to go with York and Wilke.

Headed back to the end of the driveway, I think I hear a truck....:D

Al

Brian Hale
06-27-2006, 7:27 PM
Cool stuff eh :cool: !!

Got everything ready at the shop? Cord to go from the planer to the outlet? Plug for the cord? Friends to move it to the shop?(while you supervise) Wood to feed the new babies? (They'll be hungry after that long trip) Appropriate celebratory beverage?

Got to occupy your time till it gets there ;)

Allen Bookout
06-27-2006, 9:04 PM
We are all waiting with you. What is going on? The wait is making me nervous.

Standing by.

Allen

Al Willits
06-28-2006, 10:48 AM
Had to come in last night from the end of the driveway, mosquito's got to bad and the wife mentioned something about physical harm if I stayed there...:)

Its 9:30 and I have a 10-2 delivery time, garage has a spot cleared out and I'm on my third cup of coffee....2 past my normal limit...wife justs gives me the LOOK when ever I check the driveway and suggests maybe vacuuming or something constructive, I tell her waiting for the truck IS constructive and mutters something about having kept me for all these years, might as well keep going...

They will come.....right??:confused:

Brian, no nothing is ready, we are suppose to be out playing golf this AM and the little shebeast has made it clear as soon as the truck leaves, so do we...for the golf course and din-din, seems I promised her that in a fit of insanity....

I also have to do some rewiring, I have one 220 outlet and will have to add a couple, already have a extension cord from the welder but would like separate outlets for the jointer, TS and Planer.

I also need the DC ducting and I see Rockler has a half off sale on that stuff, so I'll be heading there soon.

Beasty has informed me she's going out golfing and shopping with her sister tomm, (kind of a gathering of the coven thing) so I'll be putting it all together then.

Al who's headed back to the end of the driveway...

Brian Hale
06-29-2006, 5:18 PM
Well???????????

John Miliunas
06-29-2006, 5:42 PM
Yeah...What Brian said! :confused: :D :cool:

Brian Hale
06-29-2006, 6:36 PM
Oh sure...... A man comes to the 'Creek..... wades in....... Gets a couple new toys er Tools and doesn't want to tell us about them.....

I see how you are. Keep us in suspense. Don't tell us anything.... :p :D :D

Did i mention Pics???????

tod evans
06-29-2006, 6:38 PM
hey fellows read post #8 on this`n from this morning.. tod

[edit] some moron forgot to include the link.....here `ya go;
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=38876

Allen Bookout
06-29-2006, 8:06 PM
hey fellows read post #8 on this`n from this morning.. tod

I guess that I am the only one that does not know where to look. Allen

John Miliunas
06-29-2006, 8:09 PM
I guess that I am the only one that does not know where to look. Allen

No you're not, Allen! I can't find anything on it, either. (Haven't tried real hard, as I'm in the middle of a couple mini-projects for my new office at work.) :rolleyes: :) :cool:

Frank Fusco
06-30-2006, 9:34 AM
Russ used the term ""lunch box" planer". Wats a lunch box planer?

John Miliunas
06-30-2006, 9:41 AM

Frank, that's the term typically given to the "portable" planers. Usually 11"-13" units running on 110VAC and under 100lbs. :) :cool:

tod evans
06-30-2006, 9:49 AM

frank see where you asked this question and i answered , posts 9&10 in this thread;
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=37648&highlight=lunchbox

Tyler Howell
06-30-2006, 10:23 AM
Just talked to Al.
He tried to use some lame excuse about broken computer and no pictures:mad:. That cost him 30 days pay with out leave and 60 days DSP:rolleyes: :D .
Going to go over and take a look for myself.
Report back later.
Picture Police
To Protect and Serve

Frank Fusco
06-30-2006, 10:42 AM
frank see where you asked this question and i answered , posts 9&10 in this thread;
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=37648&highlight=lunchbox

Missed it. Thanks.

Brian Hale
06-30-2006, 12:49 PM
Just talked to Al.
He tried to use some lame excuse about broken computer and no pictures:mad:. That cost him 30 days pay with out leave and 60 days DSP:rolleyes: :D .
Going to go over and take a look for myself.
Report back later.
Picture Police
To Protect and Serve

Letting him off easy Tyler?

I suspect you're getting soft in your PP duties! :p :p :rolleyes:

Vaughn McMillan
06-30-2006, 5:56 PM
I suspect you're getting soft in your PP duties! :p :p :rolleyes: ...

Shouldn't this type of medical discussion be happening in the OT forum instead? :D

[ducks and runs for cover]

- Vaughn

Larry Cooke
06-30-2006, 6:05 PM
Shouldn't this type of medical discussion be happening in the OT forum instead? :DVery bad Vaughn, very bad... Funny mind you but bad never the less. :D

Larry

Al Willits
06-30-2006, 7:53 PM
Just a note to say I didn't forget about ya all, been taking pictures and as soon as I get the blue screen of death off this darn computer and it see's the hard drives I'll post them.

Seems my HAL file is dissapeared.....

But will have to say I'm having a sale on styrofoam and shipping crates, and I think two of us can get the jointer bed on the base, but I'm thinking hernia to get the 600# planer off its crate.

Ever try and find phyical help on a 4th of july weekend??
Even Tyler won't come... :D

Al who'd probably format his hard drives...if the computer would see them...grrrrr

Art Mulder
06-30-2006, 10:15 PM
Boy it is surreal to stumble upon this thread and read the entire thing in one go. It goes from asking a question, to getting conviced, to buy, to biting nails waiting on delivery...

...art (who is still trucking along with his TEN-inch old Ryobi portable planer that he bought used for $200 4-5 years ago.)

Al Willits
07-01-2006, 9:32 AM
Little update....I now have the planer done except for checking blade/table/whatever else needs to be checked before running, and all 600+#'s of it are still sitting on the shipping crate...don't think the wife and I are gonna be able to get it off....lifting handles or not...:)

Jointer base is done, and bed is still sitting on its shipping crate....don't think the wife and I are gonna move this puppy either.

I was a bit concerned about the jointers wiring, it came wired for 220 and had a 110 plug on it, something to maybe be aware of in your purchaces.

Over all was pretty happy with the way everything looks, and yesturday after sitting there with a cold lennie on a 88 degree day and thinking I'm getting to old to be dealing with all this weight, I am a happy camper...:)

Art, glad ya enjoyed the posts, I probably could have gotten by with less, in fact I had planned on a Dewalt planer and a delta 6" jointer at first, but this is probably my last great endeavor (58) and thought might as well go for the gold.

Also years of blue collar have taught me better to have to much tool, than not enough.

Al who did use the same orange skill saw for many years...:D :D :D

Brian Hale
07-01-2006, 10:07 AM
Sounds like you're having a Great time Al :cool:

I'm trying to remember how i got my 15" Bridgewood off the pallet (by myself) but i think i just walked it off the edge a bit and onto a stack of scrap that's shorter than the pallet. Once it's on the scrap, roll it onto a shorter piles till you get on the ground.

As for the "carry handles", never could figure then out..... :rolleyes:

Allen Bookout
07-01-2006, 10:18 AM
Little update....I now have the planer done except for checking blade/table/whatever else needs to be checked before running, and all 600+#'s of it are still sitting on the shipping crate...don't think the wife and I are gonna be able to get it off....lifting handles or not...:)

Jointer base is done, and bed is still sitting on its shipping crate....don't think the wife and I are gonna move this puppy either.

That is where a fold up engine hoist is worth it's weight in gold. They do not cost very much, considering what they can do, and store is a small space. Check Northerntool and Harbor Freight.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=20478&highlight=engine+hoist

Allen

John Miliunas
07-01-2006, 10:22 AM
Good for you, Al!!! That is, an "alleged" high-five, as we are not seeing any pictures!!! :mad: Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!! :D Anyhow, ditto to what Brian said about getting it off the pallet. You can probably provide most of the muscle needed and the LOYL can just help steady it. That motor in the bottom of the base provides for pretty good ballast. :)

Also, you may want to double-check that plug. I have a hunch it is a 220 plug! It may look like a 110 but, check to see if the spades are actually perpendicular to your normal 110. In other words, the spades should be parallel to the longer part of the plug, indicating 220VAC. The motor actually has pretty low draw for amps to each leg, so a massive plug is not necessary. You may be trying to compare the 220 plug of a dryer or stove. NOT the same animal. :)

Keep us posted on setup progress and don't forget the pics!!! :D :cool:

Russ Massery
07-01-2006, 12:49 PM
Al, I used a engine hoist to get my planer off the pallet. I rapped a chain around the lifting bars. while I had it up in the air I bolted on the caster too.

Tim Marks
07-01-2006, 4:09 PM
I have the DW735 with in/out feed tables and stand. It is a great planer and I love it.

I wish I had bought a G0453 planer instead. Probably will eventually anyhow.

Al Willits
07-01-2006, 11:11 PM
Plug is for 120v, the planer came with the smaller 220v plug with the horizontal prongs.

I finally ended up using tie down straps run around the center beam in the garage to get the jointer bed turner over and high enough to place the stand under it, took the "caution blade sharp" cover off and proceeded to slice two fingers while trying to wipe the oil off the bed, so typing is a bit rough right now, also put the caution cover back on till I can get the shield on.

Goes to show what a small mental lapse will do...

I'll try walking the planer off the crate tomm, might try the build a ramp thing and see how that works.

There are pictures and someday I hope to post them, may have to use the wife's comp...:)

Al

Rick Thom
07-02-2006, 5:17 AM
Al, have you considered renting an engine lift for a few hours. Check out our local rental places, maybe cost you $25 to do it the right and safe way.

Al Willits
07-02-2006, 10:13 AM
Good idea Rick, and with all the motor heads I know, somebodies gotta have one, worse case there's a rental shop about a mile away, walking that thig off the crate scares me..plus I've already had my share of hernia's..:)

Al