PDA

View Full Version : use caution with Lowe's check-out system

Frank Fusco
06-23-2006, 7:56 PM
Last week I had problems at our local Lowe's when I tried using a debit card in the self-check out. It would not complete the transaction despite repeated tries. I called over an assistant manager and he couldn't even clear the machine. We then went to a people-operated register and had problems there also. I told the manager I was concerned that there might be multiple charges. I eventually left the store without completing the purchase. Today, I checked my account and did find multiple charges for that event. :mad: They were credited back several days later. But, this being a debit card on my account, it could have gotten me in big trouble with non-sufficient fund, overdrafts, etc. :o I took a print-out of my account to the store and showed to the manager. He was very courteous but tactifully refused to admit possible charges when a purchase wasn't made. I like Lowe's but will stick to cash and a people-operated register from now on.

Bryan Somers
06-23-2006, 9:31 PM
I had a simalar problem last week when I made a purchase. My checking account was hit twice for the same amount. When I took my recipt and bank statement to the store I had no problem with Lowes crediting my account, the only potential problem is that they have 30 days to correct the problem.
I would suggest making an appointment with your local banks branch manager. Hopefully they should be of some help.

Frank Chaffee
06-23-2006, 9:54 PM
Frank,
I have recently experienced this also using a bank debit card in both Arizona and Wisconsin at Home Depot. With the disclaimer that I am far from expert in electronic financial transactions, what ultimately allowed my purchases in both States to clear was entering that the card was a “credit”, rather than a “debit” card. HD floor managers in both locations knew that this was the solution, and it has now been drummed into my head too.

Frank

Jim Becker
06-23-2006, 10:57 PM
Exactly why I never use my MAC/Check Card for purchases. AMEX all the way, baby! They take care of me.

Cecil Arnold
06-24-2006, 12:00 AM
I'm with Jim on AMEX, just wish more people took them. No one gets paid until everyone is happy.

Norman Hitt
06-24-2006, 3:44 AM
I'm with Jim on AMEX, just wish more people took them. No one gets paid until everyone is happy.

Add me to the AMEX list, and I have NEVER and will NEVER use a Debit card. 30+ years of excellent service and good records by AMEX, with only two glitches which were satisfactorily resolved promptly keeps my business.

When a business tells me they don't accept AMEX because they charge them too much, I just say, "SO DO YOU" so you shouldn't be so chinchy, because you just lost this sale, and I leave the merchandise where it sits and walk out. I haven't always been so Hard Headed, Buuuut... I no longer feel the need to bend to every merchant's operational whims, and if they want my business and my money, they have to accomodate me, the customer, or I will certainly spend my money elsewhere. I do have MC and Visa, but they are for special uses with a different itenerary, and rarely get used.

Frank Fusco
06-24-2006, 10:15 AM
I had a simalar problem last week when I made a purchase. My checking account was hit twice for the same amount. When I took my recipt and bank statement to the store I had no problem with Lowes crediting my account, the only potential problem is that they have 30 days to correct the problem.
I would suggest making an appointment with your local banks branch manager. Hopefully they should be of some help.

The debit card I used was my Pay Pal. I didn't mention that because some folks will consider it PP's fault. The clerk and a low-lever supervisor did blame PP. But, later I tried my bank debit card and it did the same thing. PP did credit me back a couple days later. But, being a debit, this could have caused big problems with overdrafts. I don't fault PP or the bank, the problem is in Lowe's (and apparently other) check-out systems. I've gotten pretty hincky about them and will use cash only from now on.

Kirk (KC) Constable
06-24-2006, 10:45 AM
... I took a print-out of my account to the store and showed to the manager. He was very courteous but tactifully refused to admit possible charges when a purchase wasn't made...

How would he tactfully refuse to admit it when you're showing him the printout??

KC

Frank Fusco
06-24-2006, 12:05 PM
How would he tactfully refuse to admit it when you're showing him the printout??

KC

A quiet "Ah-ha".
I plan to write to Lowe's later today. A double or triple charge could do severe harm to an indivdual with overdrafts, credit rating, reputation, etc.

Mark Pruitt
06-24-2006, 12:13 PM
That's one of the reasons I have never used a debit card and have consistently refused when offered one by my bank.

Chris Damm
06-25-2006, 8:12 AM
I never use a debit card when I can use a credit card. I always pay the balance in full and have the use of someone else's money for up to 6 weeks!

Paul Prescott
06-27-2006, 6:21 PM
I stick with credit cards too, especially one that gives me points applicable to another vacation cruise! Pay it off monthly, no interest, an interest-free loan. Compared to what the banks give me in interest I love being able to use their money for free!

Kirk (KC) Constable
06-28-2006, 10:22 AM
I write a check to Jean on payday...and generally write a check for the bowling league...but the last time I've written a check in a store was when the debit machine was inop. I use the debit card all the time, and have never had an issue in the four years I've used it. FWIW....

Aaron Beaver
06-28-2006, 11:20 AM
Its weird hearing all the things about debit cards. I have used debit cards since day one and have never had a problem. One of the best advice I can give is when using a debit card to make it run through as a "creidt" card. I use to work at a bank and things go more smoothly if you can do that, plus you don't have to enter a PIN. There are some stores that will not let you run debit cards through as a credit (Sams Club comes to mind) but most stores you can hit 'cancel' when the pin number pad shows up or hit the 'credit' button to run it as a credit card.

As far getting overcharged I haven't had that happen, I have actually gotten things for free because they have never been processed (happens about 2 times a year), I have never had that happen with a regular credit card. I am just one of those that loves electronics and gadgetry. I can't tell you when the last time I wrote a paper check, I do everything online, checking, bill paying, etc. I just love the convienence of it.

Chris Padilla
06-28-2006, 5:04 PM
I see some folks are quite happy with AMEX. I can say with certainty that if Coscto had not required their useage (AMEX is the only CC they accept), I most likely wouldn't have one. I've had a couple instances with AMEX where I paid my balance online (I pay the balance every month) 1-2 days before the official due date and for whatever reason, it got posted late and AMEX flat out refused to reimburse me the interest. Really torqued me off! So I pay online 4-5 days ahead of time now...no problems now.

Contrast to that, I've paid my VISA and Discover cards late and never had an issue with getting refunds...although they are both much stricter now than in the past with providing refunds....

Don Baer
06-28-2006, 5:14 PM
Chris,
I've used Discover at Cosco.

Chris Padilla
06-28-2006, 5:16 PM
Chris,
I've used Discover at Cosco.

No foolin'?? Here: www.costco.com (http://www.costco.com) ?? I just may have to check that again but they only took AMEX last I was aware....

Don Baer
06-28-2006, 5:24 PM
No foolin'?? Here: www.costco.com (http://www.costco.com) ?? I just may have to check that again but they only took AMEX last I was aware....

Last December when I got party supplies for LOML's Birthday Party I used my Discover card and had no problems. I think they are in cahoots with AMEX to try to get ya to sign up for the costco/AMEX cards.

Lee DeRaud
06-28-2006, 5:27 PM
No foolin'?? Here: www.costco.com (http://www.costco.com) ?? I just may have to check that again but they only took AMEX last I was aware....Just looked (http://www.costco.com/Images/Content/Misc/PDF/WelcomeBrochure05.pdf, page 24): they've got their own credit cards now too, but yes, AMEX is the only "normal" credit card they accept. They will take other debit/ATM cards though.

Don, you sure you're not thinking of Sam's Club? They have the same relationship with Discover that Costco has with AMEX.