PDA

View Full Version : mini wood gloat

Frank Fusco
06-23-2006, 7:49 PM
The county cut up a tree that blew down across my road during a thunderstorm last night. They just left the wood on the roadside and I picked up most of it. After taking a sample to the county extension service I found out it is sycamore. And it is very wet green. Well, I have seen those videos where the masters really make the shavings fly by turning green wood. So, I thought I would give it a go. In a word, I got my Sunday bath early. Sprayed water like crazy, shavings on floor actually made the concrete wet. Could not skew to save my life, it just squeeged out water. I formed a candle stand then wrapped in a plastic bag and will check tomorrow to see what kind of damage drying has done. Wood is pretty plain and uninteresting but the trunk portion has a yellow color to it that might prove to be attractive.

Corey Hallagan
06-23-2006, 9:45 PM
Hope it turns out for you Frank! Sycamore makes some cool turnings!

Corey

Bernie Weishapl
06-23-2006, 11:05 PM
Sounds like a great haul Frank. Did you seal the ends of the logs? Until I got some anchorseal I just used left over latex paint and put on a couple of coats after the first coat dries. It worked pretty good and in fact probably as good as anchorseal.