PDA

View Full Version : Maple and Ash boxes

Ben Werner
06-23-2006, 7:18 PM
Just made both of these in the past few days. They both are boxes with the lids that go inside (forget the exact name for these, :confused::p maybe some one can supply that for me :D) one on the left is maple, possibly spalted, and the one on the right is ash. The maple one I'm giving to a friend for graduation from high school tomorrow:D, thats why I just finished it like 15 minutes ago :p. Oh they both have waxless shellac as their finish. A loose fit is good, right? so you can lift the lid off without picking up the whole box??
Thanks for looking and for comments.
Ben

Corey Hallagan
06-23-2006, 9:51 PM
Very nice Ben!! Great looking boxes!

Corey

Ken Fitzgerald
06-23-2006, 9:54 PM
Nice boxes Ben! Keep up the good work and the postings!

Bernie Weishapl
06-23-2006, 11:02 PM
Beautiful looking boxes Ben. Nice looking finish on them. Great job and keep'em coming.

Rich Stewart
06-24-2006, 2:52 AM
Great little boxes. I like the finials. Whoever gets them are gonna love 'em.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
06-24-2006, 3:26 AM
Nice work, Ben. Don't quote me on it, but I believe the word you're looking for is 'inset'.

Tom Sherman
06-24-2006, 5:27 AM
I think your friends are going to be very pleased with either one of these boxes Ben Great work.

Ernie Nyvall
06-24-2006, 4:20 PM
[QUOTE=Ben Werner] A loose fit is good, right? so you can lift the lid off without picking up the whole box?? QUOTE]

Very nice boxes Ben.

I think the fit on the lid maybe different for different styles. I haven't done any boxes myself, but reading about it in R. Raffin's book, he does his where there is a slight suction and pop when the lid is pulled off. I think our own box master Michael Stafford at SMC does this as well.

Ernie

Ben Werner
06-24-2006, 6:39 PM
thanks for the comments.
I know thats the way for boxes where the lid goes over the bottom but what about for the ones with the lid inside... plus there is nothing sturdy to pull on... I donno... just wondering.
Ben

Lee DeRaud
06-24-2006, 6:49 PM
I think I'm with Ben on this one. Thin inset lids would be annoying if they were too tight when you went to take them off, even with the finial to grab onto. That's as opposed to two-piece boxes where the top is comparable in size to the bottom: you don't normally try to open them one-handed...or at least I don't.:p