PDA

View Full Version : Segmented urn - Wenge and Bloodwood

Adam Howard
06-23-2006, 7:09 PM
Here's an urn made for a client. Lots of hard work.
The lid is special because the "handle" on top turns a threaded wood screw that holds the lid to the body.
Wenge and Bloodwood.

http://www.fineamericancraft.com/images/mcfarlane-sm.jpg

Lee DeRaud
06-23-2006, 8:11 PM
All I can say is...wow!

I like wenge, but it is not fun to work with. Certainly worth the trouble in this case.

Corey Hallagan
06-23-2006, 9:43 PM
Beautiful work Adam! Very nice!

Corey

Bernie Weishapl
06-23-2006, 11:06 PM
That is really beautiful. The contrasting woods well all I can say is wow. Nice job.

Rich Stewart
06-24-2006, 2:48 AM
Cool thing. Looks like lots of hard work. I'd like to see inside.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
06-24-2006, 3:24 AM
Adam, that's an absolutely gorgeous urn. I don't see where your client will have any room to complain.

Tom Sherman
06-24-2006, 5:22 AM
Very Nice Adam, woods really work good together great form and the screw stopper is a nice touch awsome piece.

Charlie Plesums
06-24-2006, 8:59 AM
Beautiful work. I am curious about the purpose of the screw and how you did it. Is that a creamation urn? Is there a center post that the lid screws into, or some kind of expansion gasket inside the turned lid?

Adam Howard
06-24-2006, 10:30 AM
Thanks folks, I learned a lot doing it. The most important was that it DOES matter which direction you stack your rings. And NO, flipping it over doesn't help. Had to make some extra rings on that screw up.

The lid has a hole in the top, which allows the handle to turn. In the top of the base, is a groove about 1/4" down, with a single access dado. There's a cross-piece with center threaded hole that allows the lid to be secured to the base. The groove has a stop to aid in tightening-loosening the lid.

I've got a few more of these to make, and I'm unsure of whether or not to keep the legs.....

Ernie Nyvall
06-24-2006, 4:27 PM
That's really nice Adam. I like the form, and with that said, I like it with the legs. If you get rid of the legs, I'd change the form a bit. FWIW

Ernie