PDA

View Full Version : Interesting puzzle idea

Joe Pelonio
06-23-2006, 12:12 PM
A customer came in and ordered this. He did not say to keep it secret as he would market them or anything, but I still feel better describing it rather than sharing a picture.

I cut 1/4" Oak to 7" square with rounded corners for the base. He will attach a piece of 3/4" square wood dowel in the center, standing straight up like a post. Then I'm cutting 80 pieces of 1/8" basswood, 3.5" square, with .74" square hole in the centers. He will stack them up, hold tight with a clamp, then apply a printed laminated paper image onto each of the four sides of the stack. Then he'll use an exacto to cut between the 80 pieces, and mix them up in sort of a rubik's cube random way. Lots of other possibilities, different materials like acrylic, rastor the images onto the edges of the clamped stack instead of the glued paper image, and so on.

Dave Jones
06-23-2006, 1:39 PM
Sounds interesting. Might be nice with that florescent acrylic that has the bright edges to it.

Joe Pelonio
06-23-2006, 2:44 PM
He just picked it up. Didn't bat an eye at the $100 invoice, just whipped out the Visa. Sounds like he's going to spray the stacked edges with paint and bringing it back for me to engrave the images.

Barbara Buhse
06-23-2006, 5:08 PM
That sounds like a great idea...
You could modify it for kids by using thicker pieces of wood, say as many as in their first name, then put pictures on the other three sides... then it would be simple enough for a child to play with.

Barbara