PDA

View Full Version : Router lifts

Guy Germaine
06-23-2006, 11:03 AM
I know this has been discussed before, but I can't seem to find anything when I search.

I'm going to be looking at router lifts in the near future. Give me your opinions, please? For the time being, it will be holding a PC890. Thanks

Peter Pedisich
06-23-2006, 11:23 AM
Guy,

I recently purchased a Woodpecker Quick-Lift, no routing time on it yet.
It was made for the PC690/890, Bosch1617 and the DW618 which I have.

Also considered the Woodhaven and Jessem equivalents, although they do not have a quick lift feature.

good luck,

Pete

pat warner
06-23-2006, 8:57 PM
890 with more motor travel than any fixed base in its class. Could be mounted directly to thin 1/2" - 3/4" thick MDF, no lift!

For more on depth changes on the cheap see the D.O.C. Link. (http://patwarner.com/cutter_depth.html)

Guy Germaine
06-24-2006, 11:09 AM
I currently have it mounted in a Rousseau plate that has holes in to adjust the bit height from above the table. The problem with it is that when you go to lock the motor back in place, the bit will move just a tad. Then you have to mess with it to get the bit exactly where you want it. A lift the keeps the motor held tight at all times will eliminate that problem.

Peter Pedisich
06-24-2006, 11:22 AM
A lift the keeps the motor held tight at all times will eliminate that problem.

Guy,

From what I learned in my research, some lifts are more effective at this than others. Most routers I've used move slightly when clamping tight (DW/PC/Ryobi)

Pete

Curt Harms
06-24-2006, 5:17 PM
I currently have it mounted in a Rousseau plate that has holes in to adjust the bit height from above the table. The problem with it is that when you go to lock the motor back in place, the bit will move just a tad. Then you have to mess with it to get the bit exactly where you want it. A lift the keeps the motor held tight at all times will eliminate that problem.

Hello Guy

I have a FT2000E with a router raizer. Does the 890 plunge base have the above-the-table adjustment? I have a P-C 8529 with the built-in height adjustment. I've not used the 8529 in a table but the Freud FT2000E doesn't need to be locked, it stays solid unlocked with the router raizer. I have an 890 with the fixed base and mines moves horizontally a bit when I lock the locking mechanism as well. I wonder if the plunge base wouldn't need to be locked and so wouldn't move. I know the 890 plunge bases are maligned for crappy plunge action. My 8529 wasn't a gem either but some cleaning and some lubing with dry lube on the plunge rods sure did help. I hope this makes sense.

Curt

George M. Perzel
06-24-2006, 8:50 PM
Hi Guy;
How handy are you? Here's a link to my motorized router lift-built with easily findable stuff for less than 80 bucks.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=12787&highlight=motorized

Good Luck
George