PDA

View Full Version : How do you re-sharpen your plane?

Bryan Hunt
06-23-2006, 10:06 AM
I've recently sharpened my two new planes finishing the primary and secondary bevel on my 8000 grit waterstone. When I need to tune-up the edge, do I just do the secondary bevel on the 8000 stone, or do I go back to the 1000 grit waterstone and re-grind the primary bevel? What has worked best for you? How often do you re-sharpen?

Bryan

Hank Knight
06-23-2006, 10:46 AM
Bryan,

Unless you damage the edge, you shouldn't find it necessary to go back and re-grind the primary bevel. Just hone the secondary bevel on your 8,000 stone or touch it up with a strop from time to time. Each time you hone the secondary bevel, it gets a little wider. Eventually the secondary bevel overtakes the primary bevel and you will need to reestablish the primary bevel; but it takes a lot of honing to get to that point.

Hank

Corvin Alstot
06-23-2006, 4:13 PM
Bryan,

Unless you damage the edge, you shouldn't find it necessary to go back and re-grind the primary bevel. Just hone the secondary bevel on your 8,000 stone or touch it up with a strop from time to time. Each time you hone the secondary bevel, it gets a little wider. Eventually the secondary bevel overtakes the primary bevel and you will need to reestablish the primary bevel; but it takes a lot of honing to get to that point.

Hank I second what Hank said, but will add that I resharpen when the plane does not cut cleanly (determined by the cut, or feel) or if I am starting a big smoothing session.