PDA

View Full Version : Life is good-----wood GLOAT

Gary Max
06-23-2006, 7:55 AM
Yesterday is one for the books.
Yes we spent the day in Louisville at the Symposium spending money on things that I could not afford-----used plastic not real money--LOL.
Arrived back at the house --late afternoon---and look who shows up.
We are getting a new neighbor---about 2 miles away---or the next house over the hill.
He has built a log cabin and I have sold him several items---makes him a neighbor and a customer----works for me.
Anyway back to the reason I started this tread---he is a logger ----lookie what he brought me.
Red Oak---weighs in at over 300 lbs
Of course he wants something turned in exchange for his work but I will figure something out.
I have this cut in half and stored inside my shop with a good heavy coat of Anchorseal on it.

Keith Burns
06-23-2006, 8:35 AM
Looks like that burl grew a log:D Great gloat:)

tod evans
06-23-2006, 8:45 AM
gary, where`s the cut in half pics of the grain? nice score! .02 tod

Don Orr
06-23-2006, 10:02 AM
Sweet score man ! Now there's a guy you want to stay on the good side of:) .

Bernie Weishapl
06-23-2006, 12:00 PM
Wow Gary. That is one hunk of wood. Can't wait to see what comes out of that one. Nice haul. I would keep on the good side of that boy.

Glenn Hodges
06-23-2006, 12:45 PM
Congratulations and thanks for letting us see it.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
06-23-2006, 1:29 PM
Wow... Now that's a burl!

Great score, Gary!

Gary Max
06-23-2006, 9:26 PM
Both halves---covered in a heavy coat of Anchorseal.
They are still more than I can pick up. When I said 300 lbs for the whole burl ---that may be a little short of the real weight.

Corey Hallagan
06-23-2006, 9:41 PM
Wow, that is sweet Gary! I just can't wait to see what you make out of that. I hope you make at least one burly pen :)

corey

Ken Fitzgerald
06-23-2006, 9:44 PM
As somebody whom I don't remember said when I announced the starting of building my new shop.............Lucky Duck........Lucky Duck.......Lucky Duck! Excellent gloat Gary! I'm envious!

John Miliunas
06-23-2006, 9:56 PM
Holy cats, Gary!!! That is some buuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrllllll!!!! :eek: :D Now that should keep you busy for a session or two! Super gloat, my friend! :) 'Round here, seems we get plenty of the "buuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrr", especially long about January or so but, it's all missing the "LLLLL's"! :o :( Great score, Gary! :) :cool:

Tom Sherman
06-24-2006, 5:15 AM
Great gloat Gary, and great burl also to. I believe you could use a cherry picker to hoist that rascal up to the lathe.

Ernie Nyvall
06-24-2006, 3:56 PM
Wow, if I found something like that, I think it would push me over the edge to getting one of those coring tools. Nice haul Gary.

Ernie