PDA

View Full Version : Carving Videos

Kurt Aebi
06-22-2006, 7:30 PM
My wife, Karen, has decided to try her hand at carving.

She has a couple of beginner books, but still needs a little more help as teh directions in the books are confusing her. We were wondering if there were any good videos out there on carving.

She does well when she gets to see what the cut looks like rather than just reading about it. She has become a pretty good turner after watching Bill Grumbine's 7 Del Stubbs' videos and feels she may do well if she can only see the cut in action.

Thanks in advance.

Kurt

Mike Henderson
06-22-2006, 8:02 PM
You didn't say what kind of carving your wife wants to do. But if it's furniture stuff and not things like animals or a bust of someone, then Nora Hall has some decent videos on carving different furniture and architectural things. Do a web search and you'll find her site. You can also find her tapes (used) on EBay at a reduced rate.

But, for me, nothing takes the place of working with someone who is an experienced carver. I'd suggest that, if possible, she take a course or two on carving whatever she's interested in.

Mike

tod evans
06-23-2006, 8:06 AM
kurt, i agree with michael, nora hall has quite an extensive library but if you can find a local carving club (and can put up with the politics most have) it`s usually quicker to learn by watching in person. 95% of the dificulty in carving comes from learning to sharpen, once your wife learns to put an edge on her tools it gets easy quickly.....02 tod

Pam Niedermayer
06-23-2006, 2:34 PM
If you have a local woodworking store, I'd check with them for which carving clubs meet there and when. Also, the Hall videos are great, but I've also learned a lot from videos from Ian Agrell, Mac Headley and Phil Lowe. I'm mainly interested in furniture carving, such things as Newport shells.

Pam