PDA

View Full Version : What is the name of this ?¿

Jim King
06-22-2006, 6:08 PM
This is a new flower that emerged from a flower pot in our garden. Any one know what it is ? For size reference it is about 5-6 inches long out of the pod.

Vaughn McMillan
06-22-2006, 7:08 PM
Jim, I'm no expert, but it looks a lot like the morning glory plants we have in our back yard.

- Vaughn

larry merlau
06-22-2006, 7:35 PM
the leaves are wrong vaughn,usually mourning glorys grow on a climbing vine. with heart shaped leaves. the blossom is similar but this one is doubled not normal for glories either.. interesting flower will keep lookin for its identity. probally jim becker knows.. he;s got a handle on most everything.

larry merlau
06-22-2006, 7:51 PM
another thought,, it appears to be similar to a moon flower, but they are usually white..perhaps this was a hybrid

Steve Clardy
06-22-2006, 7:52 PM
Not sure about the flower, but------
in your thread title, how did the the second ? get upside down:confused: :D

larry merlau
06-22-2006, 7:56 PM
just like this steve ¿ we have all of our keys still:)

Joe Pelonio
06-22-2006, 8:14 PM
I swear it looks like the flowers of a trumpet vine, not sure about the leaves though. They do come in many colors.

Steve Clardy
06-22-2006, 8:17 PM
just like this steve ¿ we have all of our keys still:)

How the heck did ga do that:confused: :eek:
[Sorry to hijack the thread here, but I gotta learn something new today]:D

Dennis Peacock
06-22-2006, 8:42 PM
The LOML says it looks like it's from the Four O'clock family.

Dennis Peacock
06-22-2006, 8:45 PM
How the heck did ga do that:confused: :eek:
[Sorry to hijack the thread here, but I gotta learn something new today]:D

Hey Steve,

"¿" can be produced by doing the following (it's from the Extended ASCII Character set):

Hold down the ALT Key and type on the number pad "168". Wha-la....you have a ¿ . Get it¿....I mean ? :rolleyes: :D

Jim King
06-22-2006, 8:53 PM
¿?¿?¿?¿? Spanish Keyboard ñññ

Jim King
06-22-2006, 9:00 PM
What takes me off gaurd with this flower is the flower coming out of a flower. We have a couple hundred types of flowers in our yard including morning glories but nothing ever like this. A sweet potatoe looks simalar but is a vine and only a single flower.

Frank Chaffee
06-22-2006, 9:22 PM
¿?¿?¿?¿? Spanish Keyboard ñññ
Naughty keyboard, very naughty naughty!

Steve Clardy
06-22-2006, 10:32 PM
Hey Steve,

"¿" can be produced by doing the following (it's from the Extended ASCII Character set):

Hold down the ALT Key and type on the number pad "168". Wha-la....you have a ¿ . Get it¿....I mean ? :rolleyes: :D

¿¿¿ Well cool:D I won't remember that a week from now though:o

Randy Meijer
06-23-2006, 12:29 AM
Given that Jim lives in Peru, I'm guessing it is a flower that none of us have ever seen. Think you would probably have better luck identifying it by checking with the locals.

Vaughn McMillan
06-23-2006, 12:45 AM
¿¿¿ Well cool:D I won't remember that a week from now though:o Steve, one you might use more often is ALT-248. It's the degree sign (°<o =""></o>). However, if you're using Firefox, you have to type it in a separate document, then paste it into a Sawmill Creek message. Apparently the latest version of the SMC forum software doesn't fully cooperate with special characters from Firefox. Since you were able to get the ¿ character, the °<o =""> sign should work for you.

- Vaughn</o>

Ken Salisbury
06-23-2006, 2:46 PM
¿¿¿ Well cool:D I won't remember that a week from now though:o

or: ƒ á Ω δ ∞ φ ε ∩ ≡ ± √ Σ σ µ τ Φ Θ :) :D

Mark Pruitt
06-23-2006, 2:55 PM
UH-OH......look what happens when you hold down the Alt key and type 666

Ü
I guess that would make it a big EVIL grin.......

Randy Meijer
06-23-2006, 3:00 PM
A couple of others that I use regularly are:

ATL 241 = ±

ATL246 = ÷

ALT247 = °

ALT155 = ¢

Mark Pruitt
06-23-2006, 3:09 PM
Where on the web can one find a comprehensive list of characters created in this way?

Kevin Swindle
06-23-2006, 3:34 PM
Jim, That looks like an Angel's Trumpet to me. I haven't seen them in that color, mostly white, but a quick search on the web reveals that they do come in various colors.

Kevin

Randy Meijer
06-23-2006, 3:40 PM
Here is one source:

http://www.lookuptables.com/ (http://www.lookuptables.com/)

I also understand that the characters are available in the more recent versions of Windows. Not sure how to get at them as I am still running WIN98; but I'm sure someone here will be able to help with that.

OK. Anotherr question. What is the name of the upside down question mark symbol and what is it used for in real life¿¿ OK...so it is 2 questions!!:p :p

Randy

Jim King
06-23-2006, 3:50 PM
Jim, That looks like an Angel's Trumpet to me. I haven't seen them in that color, mostly white, but a quick search on the web reveals that they do come in various colors.

Kevin: We have Angels Trumpets but this is different as it has a second flower coming out of the first flower and the leaves are different. No body here has a clue as to what it is.
Jim
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Al Willits
06-25-2006, 11:25 PM
Wife thinks they might be something called Datura (trumpet flower), also seems they're poisonous, if she's right.

Says they usually grow pretty tall.

Al who hasn't a clue....

Mark Pruitt
06-26-2006, 8:21 AM
Wife thinks they might be something called Datura (trumpet flower), also seems they're poisonous, if she's right.

Says they usually grow pretty tall.

Al who hasn't a clue....
If they're poisonous, then I REALLY would like to know what they are. Maybe they'd take care of whatever is eating all of my blossoms.

Julio Navarro
06-26-2006, 10:51 AM
¼½¾

These are often helpfull

Jim King
06-27-2006, 11:45 AM
My sisterinlaw in Florida just sent me a note, she bought two of the same flower last week in Jacksonville. It was marked a Double Purple Angels Trumpet. Problem solved, thanks.

Randy Meijer
06-27-2006, 9:52 PM
I ran this picture by the local botanical garden and received the following reply. I think the puzzle has been resolved.

That is a double purple Datura. Below is a website that has a little bit of information on the plant. Hope this helpful. That is a beautiful plant!
Joy

http://www.magnoliagardensnursery.com/productdescrip/Datura_Purple.html

Joyana Ijams
Manager of Adult Education
Dallas Arboretum
(214)515-6538
Fax: (214)515-6578
www.dallasarboretum.org (http://www.dallasarboretum.org)

Jim King
06-28-2006, 11:39 AM
Kind of classic, went from an angel to a devil. I am used to this as we work with wood ID everyday and one detail can change it all but your photo and description are perfect.

Thanks, Jim