PDA

View Full Version : The Wave....

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
06-22-2006, 4:39 PM
Well this is the result of the bowl I was turning that I could not get to cut nicely, you can see that thread here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=38478)

All I can say is thank goodness for the old #80 grit power gouge :o

This is what I did to the edge that I could not get to cut right, this at least hides the wonky cuts......I think...

The finished bowl

it is about 1/2" longer one way than the other!

I think you can see in this pic why I call it "The Wave"

Yep, not sitting flat is it.

It turns out that the two darker colored areas of wood were pulling everything out of whack. They look punky, but they are not, they are just as hard as the other wood, but as I got this bowl thinner and thinner they seem to be the source of pulling everything sideways.

I got it down to about 1/8" for the most part, it is very thin, you can deform it with your fingers.

I guess it was a good save after all, but is sure was a strange trip.

Cheers!

Frank Fusco
06-22-2006, 5:15 PM
"wonky cut" Is that a Japanese phrase? ;)
Looking good this side of the world.
Play on the wave, call it artistic license and double the price.

Bernie Weishapl
06-22-2006, 5:18 PM
Looks like a good save to me Stu. Most times I get the outside pretty well formed before I start on the inside. I found the vibration thing is a thing of the past since I started doing that. Nice job Stu.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
06-22-2006, 5:29 PM
Great save, Stu! I didn't respond in the other thread, but man does that stand have some heft to it! Oh, another thing I have to wonder about---were those chatter marks regular enough to be considered "ornamental"? :)

Don Baer
06-22-2006, 5:41 PM
Another beu-ti-full platter Stu and like has already said tell em you planned it that way and double the price..

Ernie Nyvall
06-22-2006, 7:24 PM
That turned out nice Stu.

Ernie

Frank Chaffee
06-22-2006, 7:35 PM
Stu,
Sure looks to me that you are the recipient of a serendipitous confluence of variables when the result is as fine as that!

On one hand I am inclined to suggest you carefully document as many factors of that equation as possible so you can develop a scientific method, or technique for creating more such forms…

But I also understand that through the stages of the felling of the tree (well ok, you didn’t actually fell the tree), and chainsawing said tree into planks and turning blanks, etc, your body has recorded a more profound record than your intellect could.

However you approach it Stu, I agree with Frank Fusco that you should increase your prices.

Blah blah blah aside, Very nice bowl Stu!!!

Frank

Jim Becker
06-22-2006, 8:53 PM
Hmm...me thinks you had an issue with "greatly different density" between the heart and the sap on that piece; hence, the wave 'n warp. One of them was drying out faster than the other, too. But the end result is very nice!!

Ken Fitzgerald
06-22-2006, 9:00 PM
Excellent Stu! It's kind of neat overcoming the "natural" hardships that you encounter in turning! My latest NE had multiple holes in it. I learned you can side scrape with a bowl gouge under the right conditions better than you can ride the bevel. Excellent job Stu!

Corey Hallagan
06-22-2006, 9:02 PM
Looks good to me Stu! Nice job!

Corey

Reed Gray
06-23-2006, 12:12 AM
Stu,
Did you try to put the outside line decorations in after you turned the inside? The only wave I can see is in the lines. I did that once or twice (or maybe 3 or 4 times) before I figured out that as soon as you start to turn the inside, the bowl begins to move. The density issue could be grain orientation (flat grain vs end grain), which will cause wave, and harmonic vibration if the inside is turned out first. If I have to come back up to the top for one last cut on the inside, I will use my hand as a steady rest on the outside, cause if I don't, it will start to vibrate. On big bowls (16 diameter) which have been cored, this can be a major hastle.
robo hippy

Dennis Peacock
06-23-2006, 12:25 AM
Very nice bowl there Stu....!!!!:D I think you did a nice jog on that and the 80 grit gouge does come to many turners rescue. Beautiful piece.:D

Tom Sherman
06-23-2006, 12:33 AM
Hey Stu I know it's a bummer when things don't turn out like you plan but look on the bright side son it's not a funnel! Good save looks good in Virginia.

06-23-2006, 12:58 AM
Thanks for all the nice comments guys!

I did turn the outside first, then with the tennon round again I chucked it up and started to do the inside, and this is where things went wonky. I decided to turn the outside a bit more, as it was way out of whack, and that is when I got the major chatter, and yes Henry, the chatter could have been left as "Ornamental" but I tried to change that, my bad :rolleyes:

Once again, I learned a few more things, and the end result has already been claimed by one of my daughters (Her B-day is fast approching) so that is good too.

The dark color wood looks like some kind of sickness in the wood, the trees at the wood lot all seemed to have some of that, so I can assume the density was not the same, but in turning it, they did not feel any different, like if you fill a crack with CA, and then turn it, that feels a lot harder than the surrounding wood. I guess the sickness expressed itself, and the one thing for sure that I'm learning about all of this is that you have to go with what the wood is telling you, thus, I have a nice wavy bowl.

Cheers!

:D

Don Baer
06-23-2006, 1:02 AM
the end result has already been claimed by one of my daughters (Her B-day is fast approching) so that is good too.

:D

Thats the bottom line as long as the end customer is satisfied, that what realy matters...:D

Bart Leetch
06-23-2006, 1:38 AM
Lookin goo Stu.

Perposed name for this piece. somtingwonky.

06-23-2006, 4:25 AM
Lookin goo Stu.

Perposed name for this piece. somtingwonky.

Naw, that is what my family calls me ;) :D

Keith Burns
06-23-2006, 8:44 AM
Nice save Stu:) :) Keep it up !!

Dick Strauss
06-23-2006, 9:57 AM
Stu,
Not knowing your level of expertise I have to ask...

Were you cutting uphill (tenon to rim) or downhill (rim to tenon)?

In the future you might consider using a piece of copper wire (with handles) and burn a few grooves in the rim to cover up the wave pattern.

The bottom line is it still turned out looking great!!!!

06-23-2006, 10:36 AM
Stu,
Not knowing your level of expertise I have to ask...

Were you cutting uphill (tenon to rim) or downhill (rim to tenon)?

In the future you might consider using a piece of copper wire (with handles) and burn a few grooves in the rim to cover up the wave pattern.

The bottom line is it still turned out looking great!!!!

Yes, and no......:o

I was trying every which way to cut, heck, if I could have gotten behind the lathe stand, I would have switched it into reverse and given that a shot!

it seems the mistakes I make were too many to mention, but it turned out OK, and I did learn a lot, thus, it was a good day at the lathe :D