PDA

View Full Version : First Project

Mike Hill
06-22-2006, 4:19 PM
Wanted to see if any of you have an idea for a first project? My original idea was to build a Shaker Tall Clock out of Cherry for my wife. Since I have only gotten back into WW recently, I may be bitting off more than I can chew and tear up some good lumber. So....any suggestions on a first project with some challenge to it would be appreciated.
Mike

everett lowell
06-22-2006, 6:08 PM
Hi Mike,glad to hear your making sawdust again!:) I took quite a few years off myself then got back into ww, to the point I gave my son my harley,no time to ride gotta go make something!lol.you didnt say what you made in the past but that sounds like a nice project to me.Just work as slow as you have to "till you get back into your groove.:rolleyes: lots of luck and keep us posted on your progress.Ev

glenn bradley
06-22-2006, 6:42 PM
I worked on getting my skills re-started by building my shop cabinets, tool stands, jigs, etc. But, a jewelry box is always a good way to assure SWMBO that woodworking is a GOOD thing. :D

JIm McMullen
06-22-2006, 7:07 PM
Hi Mike,
Glad to see the shop calling you back. A good practice is to build a project well within your skill level before you took your break. Also, a review of all safety measures for all your tools (power and hand) is helpful. You want to be comfortable and confident when to start back up. The clock sounds great if it was well within your skill level before, otherwise get some inexpensive stock and re-hone your skills. Footstools, boxes, cabinets (as Glenn advised) are good. If you are working from plans, make sure you have all the required joinery techniques down pat so you don't waste valuable lumber. I will be anxious to see your first project and a very hearty welcome to the forum---it's a great place to visit with real nice folks to share with!! Jim

Jim Becker
06-22-2006, 8:42 PM
I suggest you start with a simple side table...very useful and a great project to try out techniques. Adaptable to different styles, easily, too. (My preference is for Shaker style, but it could be Mission, contemporary, whatever)

Another good first project is something in the box department. Neither of these suggestions require a lot of tooling, either.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-22-2006, 9:12 PM
Mike.........Find good plans for something you want to build for the LOYL and use them. I find by using good plans, I can concentrate on the technical skills and not have to worry about designing on the fly! Good luck.........I'm sure you'll do well!

Von Bickley
06-22-2006, 10:59 PM
Mike,
I agree with Jim. Small tables are a lot of fun to build and there is always a need for a table.

I suggest you start with a simple side table...very useful and a great project to try out techniques. Adaptable to different styles, easily, too. (My preference is for Shaker style, but it could be Mission, contemporary, whatever)

Another good first project is something in the box department. Neither of these suggestions require a lot of tooling, either.

Mike Hill
06-23-2006, 6:47 PM
I took into account all the good input in here and just came up with a compromise. I am building a Wall Clock out of Cherry. Very much a box with some nice wood and we will see what happens :) I just posted a reply to Kevin's Jointer question and right away ran into my first problem. I can't joint an edge worth a D____ on the wood I have. Will straighten it out by cutting a straight edge on the table saw in the morning using a jig, but a little disappointed that I have a tool I really do not understand (jointer).
Mike