PDA

View Full Version : Jig kit for 35mm hinges

Keith Webster
06-22-2006, 1:24 PM
I am wanting to purchase a jig kit so I can use the 35mm hinges on my cabinet doors. I have looked into several ones like the Multi Tool Rail JIG IT ® for Concealed Hinges (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10940) sold by Rockler http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10940

I also looked at the EURO-EZE<SUP>™ http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM=952-557 .</SUP>
<SUP></SUP>
<SUP>And also this one </SUP>Blum Ecodrill Hinge Jig With Bit & Driver http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006HFCNM/104-8714605-7525532?v=glance&n=228013

If anyone could give me their opinon on these or any others it would help me out. Thanks for the help and sorry about the crazy font....copy and pasting did this..??
keith

p.s. I am amazed at how many post some of you have on here. I feel like a rookie on here. I just never have enough time to come on here as much as I would like.

Jim DeLaney
06-22-2006, 2:09 PM
I've never used a jig, per se. I use the fence on my drill press table, and just drill the holes to to mfg. spec - usually 1/8" ~ 3/16" (3 ~ 5 mm) from the edge.

Never had a problem...

Bryan Hunt
06-22-2006, 2:10 PM
Keith, I'm also looking to purchase a hinge jig soon. I don't have any practical experience to offer, but I have seen the Blum jig in action in a video I have. I was quite impressed at the ease of use of the Blum jig and it's been at the top of my list - though a bit pricy.

Bryan

Scott Coffelt
06-22-2006, 2:15 PM
To be honest, I just use one of those little plastic ones that you can get at Home Depo for about $10 including a bit. Now, I upgraded to a carbide tipped bit, but I have no issues using the jig with success. I guess if I made doors all day long, I might want to opt for something more special.

glenn bradley
06-22-2006, 2:20 PM
Drill press fence here. If you haven't enhanced your DP table, maybe now is the time.

Nissim Avrahami
06-22-2006, 3:00 PM
Hi Keith

I’m an amateur living in Europe; I installed many Euro stile hinges.
The Rockler jis is working with hand drill and personally I would not like it (nor the $70).
The Bloom one cost $250 which looks to me very high price.
I think that you will get more professional opinion from the guys here but I’ll show you what I did.

The center of the 35mm hole should be 22.5mm from the door edge.
Take off-cut of Melamine and mark the 22.5mm from the edge.
Put the off-cut in the drill press and drill with the 35mm bit.
To check it, measure the distance from the off cut edge to the hole edge, it should be 5mm (35:2=17.5, 22.5- 17.5=5).
Once you have the hole, install a hinge in the hole and on another off-cut which will represent the cabinet wall, if everything is ok, keep the off-cut with the hole as a jig.
I just put the jig on the drill press table, lower the 35mm drill into it and set the drill press fence.
I’m using the jig in the pictures for 3 years (or 2 kitchens and many cabinets) and never had a problem.

I’m attaching two pictures, if you want more information, I’m here.

niki

Greg Sznajdruk
06-22-2006, 3:21 PM
I'm with Nissim. Have the identical jig made from scrap. Can't even guess how many times it has been used, never a problem. I feel a lot more confident using a DP then a hand drill. Since a DP will let you lock the depth of cut.

Greg

Steven Herbin
06-22-2006, 3:21 PM
I have the Blum Eco and have used it many times. It takes all the thinking, measuring out of mounting the hinges. You don't really have to measure anything and you don't have to change drill bits -- the bit they give you fits into the top of the bits in the jig.

The 8mm bits drill really easy, but the 35mm takes some doing. I use a corded drill when I use the jig.

I found it worth the money just for the convenience and the accuracy. It is pricey though.

Do I have to post a picture?;)

--Steve.

Mark Rios
06-22-2006, 3:26 PM
I have the Rockler Jig-It and I like it very much. I got it on sale at Rockler for $60 for my last set of cabinets. I also got the 48" rail so that I could do 42" upper cab doors. I don't remember how much the 4 foot rail was but IIRC it was around $10 or so but no more that $15. While it seemed a little pricey at first (like ALL of Rocklers stuff) I would buy it again in a minute, on sale though of course. You need to use an extra long shank forstner bit that Rockler (conveniently :rolleyes: ) sells and that is 30 some dollars as well. However, they ARE having a big sale right now, according to the sales flyer that I just got today.

There are a couple of adjustments that need to be made to a couple of parts so thet they work their best but it's not a big deal. If you get it I'd be happy to chat with you about them and my fixes/adjustments.

Other than that, the jig IS as easy to use as the video shows. The kit (rail, guides, stop block, etc) allow you to move the jig from door to door and keep the set-up intact for all the doors of the same height; all bottom cab doors or all upper cab doors, etc. allowing you to drill both holes without moving the jig. If you have heavy door and need a third hinge, you can simply add a third alignment plat to the rail. I don't have a drill press now (I sold it some time ago because it wouldn't fit) so this is a very slick alternative IMAO.

I recommend the Rockler. (Although that may not be saying much :D ).

frank shic
06-22-2006, 8:42 PM
keith, out of the jigs that you've listed, i believe that the rockler jig is probably the most appropriate for the part-time woodworker. the euro-eze jig is ok, but it's nice to be able to hit both holes consecutively with the hand drill. the ecodrill looks really appealing to me since i've largely switched to 32mm cabinetry but the price is almost equivalent to a drill press!

in any case, i'd be willing to sell the rockler hinge jig to you for $35 since i don't really use it anymore now that i've got a ridgid drill press. i'll even throw in the shelving jig for an extra $10. if you're interested, shoot me an email.

BTW nissim, your self-made jigs and woodworking lessons are HIGHLY appreciated. you should get together with stuart ablett from tokyo sometime!

Mark Rios
06-22-2006, 8:44 PM
Hey Frank, you're in Walnut Creek? Hec, I've probably cut you off in traffic the two times I've been the the area Rockler. Sorry if you were the guy that my dog jumped half-way out of the car to say "hello" to. Scared the peepee out of the guy.

frank shic
06-22-2006, 8:51 PM
mark, i am indeed living in the famously OVERPRICED walnut creek area in a 1200 square foot fixer-upper TOWNHOME - but hey, i'm not bitter! after moving into this shack three years ago, it's been one project after another: flooring, bathroom remodel, another bathroom remodel, kitchen remodel, bedroom remodel, popcorn ceiling removal and most recently vinyl window replacement. although my wife HATES all the time that it's consumed, i've grown a particularly insane form of fondness for woodworking as a result. so i guess it all works out, right?

how far away is modesto anyways? are you a frequent flyer at rockler as well? i LOVE that place! it's like walking into cheers except that norm and cliff are nowhere to be found.

Mark Rios
06-23-2006, 12:47 AM
Modesto is right at about 60 miles from the 580/680 split. 45 miles due east to Manteca and then 15 miles due south (on Hwy 99) to Modesto.

No, I don't get over there very often, just twice. Very nice folks in there though. However, I thought it would be a bigger store. Seems a little cramped. Maybe they have an area in the back for classes.

Keith, are you going to get a kit? I'ts very nice! ;)

Don Baer
06-23-2006, 12:51 AM
I was in the wodcraft store in dublim my last trip up north ad found the folks there most helpful. If you haven't been there yet I can recomend it..

Nissim Avrahami
06-23-2006, 1:04 AM
Frank
Thanks for the compliments.

I was in Tokyo a few months ago but I did not have time to visit Stuart but I promised myself the next time (autumn) I going to visit Stu.

niki

Ed Moehlenpah
06-23-2006, 1:18 AM
I actually bought the EcoDrill (Blum) hinge boring jig, and it's very sturdy. I bought it for a project to do for a contractor, then they decided to use the hinges that were on old doors already. In any case, I'll take the recommendation to use a corded jig for the 35mm holes.

Steve Clardy
06-23-2006, 2:10 AM
Dedicated drill press with fence, 32mm bit.
And I have a setup block like nissim's in case I need to change something.