PDA

View Full Version : Manhasset Rails (Pics)

Richard Wolf
06-21-2006, 6:09 PM
I guess they all can't go easy. This job tortured me. I had done a staircase in the rear of this house 8 months ago when they had a new section added. The home owner asked about replacing the main stair rails. I tried to avoid it and put her off, but she won out and was more presistent than I.
I don't like working in finished houses. The nosing around the balcony had to be changed,(curved) and they needed a new starting step. The rail going up changes pitch then curves and changes pitch again at the top.
It ended up not being a big money maker after spending way to much time trying to get things right.
Enjoy the picture.

Richard

Jim King
06-21-2006, 6:16 PM
It might not have made much money but you got some beautiful advertising photos. Very nice work.

tod evans
06-21-2006, 6:20 PM
another job well done richard!

Jim Becker
06-21-2006, 6:35 PM
That do have some nasy "direction change" in it!! Great job...one for the portfolio. (And a nice Festool endorsement, too...)

Karl Laustrup
06-21-2006, 6:49 PM
As usual Richard, another fantastic job. I am still amazed that you can make those rails change direction like that.

Karl

Vaughn McMillan
06-21-2006, 7:37 PM
Another great job, Richard. I makes my head hurt just thinking about trying to figure out all those curves. Thanks for showing the pictures.

- Vaughn

Per Swenson
06-21-2006, 7:50 PM
Richard,

As always, excellent job.

P.

Ben Grunow
06-21-2006, 10:38 PM
Richard- I am a builder in SW CT. Are you willing to come to CT for work? Some of our jobs are complicated but most are straight runs (mix of open/closed-the usual) and we do a lot of renovations where we end up having to squeeze for 80" headroom. We only do 1 job per year roughly so I'm not talking about a regular thing. In short, the area is so busy and quality labor so short that most of the stair companies are a disappointment. The last job the spindles they installed were so flexible that they could be removed without breaking. It turns out they were made of basswood from China. The boss bought a whole sea container of them to save $ and there wasn't a poplar (not even pine) spindle in it. So I guess they just decided to install them and see who complained. We did mostly because we were worried that the homeowners kids would fall through. They gave us a box of about 25 and WE changed the worst ones. Bizarre way of doing business huh? Just wondering if you travel. Our work is in Greenwich (across the pond) so sometimes we have some big jobs. We are a father/son team and we both work, on the job, full time.

Richard Wolf
06-21-2006, 10:50 PM
Thanks for the comments and for looking, it's always appreciated.

Ben, I am very familar with the Darien and Greenwich area. I started my career as a teacher in Ossining, NY. and coached the Ice Hockey Team, which played in the same league as they did.
I do travel, I have been doing stairs and rails for 18 years, and I can promise you that I do not compromise quality. From design, contruction to installation, my son and I are concerned about doing it correctly the first time. If you can use my services, pm me.

Richard

Todd Davidson
06-21-2006, 11:43 PM
Hey Richard ~

Don't you think it would've looked better if you had stained the tread and handrail to match? ;) All kidding aside, you and your son did a great job, as always.

In peace, Todd

Corey Hallagan
06-22-2006, 12:24 AM
Always nice to see your fine work Richard!

Corey

Dave Malen
06-22-2006, 12:24 AM
That is beautiful work. How do you do those twisties!
Dave

Steve Clardy
06-22-2006, 1:25 AM
Looks great Richard!!

I always dread the ones that change pitches. They are the worst.
The last one I did out of cherry had a pitch change in it. It had a 28" circle in the base. What a blast bending that one.
I fretted and fumed, didn't turn out quite like I wanted it to, but got it done.

Roger Everett
06-22-2006, 6:19 AM
Turned out great Richard. Bending rail is enough work, but on a remodel it's a b#tch. I do a fair bit of remodels, infact I really like them , but the mileage you put in going in and out, up and down, to cut fit, etc, is rough on an old pair of legs. You get the feeling quickly that you're not charging enough and should be charging by the mile.
Roger

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
06-22-2006, 7:47 AM
Mr. Wolf, sir, that is really nice, it looks organic, in that it was grown that way.

You are truly a craftsman.

Cheers!

Mark Pruitt
06-22-2006, 8:05 AM
Richard, that job might have "tortured" you as you say, but IMHO you got the last laugh in the end! Beautiful craftsmanship! I hope your name is etched on it somewhere.

Bob Childress
06-22-2006, 8:19 AM
While I can't do work nearly that well, I can recognize IT when I see it. And that's IT! I envy your talent.

Peter Pedisich
06-22-2006, 10:34 AM
Richard,

The curves look great. The handrail has a nice substantial look to it, especially at the curve at the bottom. Did you use your special router for the profile in place? How does it work with tight curves?
<O:p
I like that your work has a solid look, like it’s built to stand the test of time. I’ve seen a couple of railings in expensive homes recently that don’t compare.
Thanks for sharing.
Pete