PDA

View Full Version : Griz Jointer Pricing

Jeff Cord
06-21-2006, 4:54 PM
In looking at various 8" Jointers I am noticing that the Griz models (0586 and 0490) are much less expensive than the competition.
However, from reading comments of people who have purchased they seem very happy with them.
For a hobbyist should I look at the price as being a bargain? Or is there something to beware of here?
thanks,
Jeff

John Kain
06-21-2006, 5:19 PM
In looking at various 8" Jointers I am noticing that the Griz models (0586 and 0490) are much less expensive than the competition.
However, from reading comments of people who have purchased they seem very happy with them.
For a hobbyist should I look at the price as being a bargain? Or is there something to beware of here?
thanks,
Jeff

Griz is not the same company it was years ago. That is a good thing. Most will tell you they are thrilled with their Griz gear and love the price even more. I have only a press and staple/nail gun (not the most challenging equipment) and have had no problems. Their customer service is "usually" pretty good, moreover, one of the company's "big guns" views this forum every now and then and will really take care of you should a problem arise.

Mark Pruitt
06-21-2006, 5:26 PM
The "big gun" John refers to is actually their president, and I can say that he has responded quickly and with utmost courtesy when I have contacted him in the past. Griz is a good outfit to do business with and I have owned several pieces of their equipment including two jointers, a TS and a drill press; also more "small stuff" than I can think of. My experience has taught me to buy with confidence. (BTW I am in no way affiliated with Grizzly and by virtue of that fact I speak objectively.)

Mark Rios
06-21-2006, 5:28 PM
The G0490 is mighty fine.

Go ahead.....order it.....you know you want to.

:D

Marty Baucom
06-21-2006, 5:34 PM
You can't go wrong with the G0490. In my opinion the best bang for the buck in jointers. Another plus to Grizzly, like the earlier post said, the president is a member here on the forum. So far I have been very happy with my G0490.

Marty

Harley Lewis
06-21-2006, 6:04 PM
I have the 0586, and it is a great machine, well made, top notch finishes, and does what a jointer is supposed to do -- make boards flat and straight. You cannot go wrong with Grizzly machines -- I have several and have had zero problems with any of them. Some complain about the shipping company they use (overnight) but if there are troubles Grizzly is quick to make adjustments.

Harley

Brad Townsend
06-21-2006, 6:04 PM
I have a 586, which I'm very happy with. The 490 was not out yet when I bought. For the small amount extra, I would go with the 490 now, but you would be happy with either one, I am sure. It's a good company and you truly get a lot for your money in these machines.

Russ Massery
06-21-2006, 8:51 PM
Another happy 0490 owner here.

Scott Norteman
06-21-2006, 9:34 PM
Jeff,

I just bought a G0490 a couple of months ago and am very happy with it so far. Here are a few of my observations:

The infeed and outfeed tables were both flat to within .002 using the Veritas steel straight-edge and feelers.

This model has a 3HP motor unlike the G0586, which has 2HP...I suspect this explains most of the price difference. Get as much power as your budget allows.

The G0490 also has paralellogram tables, which is a plus, although I've really never heard of many complaints about the use of standard dovetail ways. I've had no problem making small adjustments.

The last distinguishing characteristic of the G0490 is a cutterhead with 4 straight knives. They cut well and leave a very smooth finish.

Be aware, however, that this jointer is a heavy beast and will definitely require assistance to get set up. Once you find a place for it in your shop, and get the table and cutterhead assembly up on the stand, the rest of the setup process is pretty straightforward. The setup directions/user manual is perfectly adequate.

Best of luck with your decision!

Like other posts you may have already read, I don't think you will be dissapointed if you choose a Griz!

Andrew Harkin
06-21-2006, 10:31 PM
I don't have one of their jointers yet... (Looking at the GO490 or GO586), but my other experiences with the company have been very good, and I won't hesitate to order my jointer from them when the time is right.

Jim Andrew
06-21-2006, 11:11 PM
I only have one piece of grizzly equipment, a drill press. But I would not
buy a jointer without a helical cutter head. Just bought one from Wilke for my Oliver jointer, and it is wonderful. Jim

Jeff Kerr
06-21-2006, 11:28 PM
I ditto many of the comments here. I have several of the large grizz machines right now.

I just picked up a G0490 this weekend at the Tent sale in Muncy Pa. After hauling it 7 hours on a trailer I can agree that this machine is quite heavy. It comes in 2 boxes. The base box can be handled by two folks. The jointer bed itself is in a crate that is the length of a coffin and very heavy. I ended up using a lift gate cargo truck to get from the truck to the floor. ( I must be getting old ;) )

Still in the process of cleaning the packing grease off and setting it up.

Go ahead and order from Grizzly you will be happy with the product.

Allen Bookout
06-22-2006, 12:06 AM
The GO490 is the first Grizzly machine that I have purchased. I am very happy with it. I have not seen any post of an unhappy GO586 owner either so I think that you would be in fat city with either machine. Both appear to be great value for the dollar. And yes --- I think that you could say that they are a bargain.

I will not hesitate to make my next major purchase a Grizzly if their jointers are an example of the quality of their other products, all other things being equal.

Allen

Mark Pruitt
06-22-2006, 8:28 AM
Well Jeff, with all this good press you must really be pondering which of the two to go with. Whatever you decide, just remember if you don't post pics it didn't happen!:p :D :D

Michael Adelong
06-22-2006, 8:57 AM
And speaking for the slightly (2-3yr) older model Griz jointers.. I have a G1018 8" jointer. Only 3 knives & 2 HP, but it has done a fine job on everything that I have thrown at it.

At the time that I bought it, it was the absolute lowest priced 8 incher out there.

Griz products are great once you them to your house intact. I picked mine up at the OT terminal. Good thing, too. They would have killed it if they had to load/unload it one more time. The crate was hit by something between Muncy and here... (No damage to the machine)

Mike

Bart Leetch
06-22-2006, 10:44 AM
I hope to be buying a used G1018 from my friend in the near future. He wants one of the bigger Grizzly jointers & my shop isn't big enough for the bigger jointers but will work well with the G1018HW.
I have several Grizzly machines the floor model Radial Drill press. G1029 DC, G1014Z combination sander,G1019 band-saw, G1017 portable planer. Never had a problem with any of them. I also have the Shopfox mortiser. Shopfox is owned by the same people that own Grizzly.

Mark Pruitt
06-22-2006, 5:42 PM
I own the 1018 as well. Bought it last year when they had the killer close-out deal on it. It is truly an excellent machine.

Larry James
06-22-2006, 8:06 PM
Helpful info. A 6" jointer is next on my list, and it will likely be a Grizzly.

I recently purchased a Grizzly G0444Z table saw. The fence box was damaged and the locking lever knob was broken in shipping. Griz CS sent me a new one and the fence and saw appear to work great.

Not a rant, but there are 40 - 5/16” carriage bolts required to assemble the stand. Other saw components are heavy duty and well made. Oddly, the feet supplied to support this 270 lb. saw are 1/4”-20 machine screws with small rubber feet. Look at the picture and notice the size of the bolt used to support my old Craftsman saw, as compared to the 1/4” screws. My Griz saw is on a mobile stand so I don’t think this is a problem. :confused: :confused: :confused:
Larry