PDA

View Full Version : Spokeshaves Reviewed in FWW

Mark Singer
06-21-2006, 12:18 AM
In the current issue of FWW many spokeshaves are reviewed...I haven't tried all the ones tested , but the low angle Veritas is rated very high....
One of the important issue with using a spokeshave is reading the grain and that determines if the motion is push or pull... It is well worth the effort to learn to use one for chairs and shaped forms...Fine rasps are eaiser and more forgiving.....I like them both This issue if FWW seems a little better than some.....some decent articles...

Brett Baldwin
06-21-2006, 12:37 AM
I just started reading it and the same article caught my eye. I agree, there are several good articles. I'm also looking closely at the half-blind dovetail article as that is the next step in my hand working practice.

Javier Gonzalez
06-21-2006, 7:42 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing it. There was some pictures I think in Woodwork magazine
of furniture made by a Mark Singer. Might that be you?

Dave Anderson NH
06-21-2006, 9:03 AM
While I really like my low angle Lee Valley shave, it's a bit more finicky to set up than many of the others. This is due to the fact that there are 2 major types of adjustments that can be made, moving the fence up and down, and moving the cutter forward and back. On "normal" shaves you only have the cutter depth adjustment.

There is a reward for this extra adjustment time however. The added adjustment allows exceptional fine tuning. No other shave can give you both a really shallow cut depth and still have a fairly wide open mouth to prevent clogging. The lack of posts on the cutter also makes it really easy to sharpen.

Mark Singer
06-21-2006, 9:34 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing it. There was some pictures I think in Woodwork magazine
of furniture made by a Mark Singer. Might that be you?

I don't think so...what issue?

Jim Becker
06-21-2006, 11:37 AM
IThere was some pictures I think in Woodwork magazine of furniture made by a Mark Singer. Might that be you?
That was a Michael Singer in Felton CA. August 2006 issue.
-----

BTW, the same issue of FWW referenced in this thread also has a nice article about hand-cutting half-blind dovetails.

Steve Wargo
06-21-2006, 12:35 PM
Mark,

I think your question really depends on what you do in the shop or hope to do with the spokeshave. If you are the type of person who shapes a pattern then routs it with a patternbit, I think that you would benefit much less from the use of spokeshaves. If this a tool that you plan on using to shape many curves and profiles then a spokeshave is a good tool. I personally think they are a bit faster than a rasp, and I love my LV Low angle spokeshave. But the real question is... do you have to ask if you need another tool? Good luck on your decision.