PDA

View Full Version : Copper beech or copper birch?

Bill MacLachlan
09-13-2003, 6:28 PM
Just recieved a pair of logs that we were told could be copper birch or copper beech. They are 16" diameter, and this is not the trunk. Bark is smooth and grey in color. The wood looks to be yellow, maple like. Grain seems very dense.
Is this good for turning? What would the finished part look like for grain pattern?
Thanks, Bill

Kevin Gerstenecker
09-13-2003, 8:22 PM
Bill, there is a Copper Beech........formally know as the European Beech. This is a large, beautiful Ornamental Tree. It has silvery gray bark which is smooth, like you described. It gets the name Copper Beech because some varieties have Copper colored leaves. You sometimes see these as a small weeping type tree, which has a very noticable, large Graft Union where the Beech was grafted onto the root stock. These grafts are usually about halfway up the trunk, and the weeping Beech only gets to be about 10-15 feet tall. The European Beech, on the other hand can get quite large, and they are a grand tree. Not sure about the wood for turning.........I know it is not valued for lumber. Most trees that are not valued for lumber are great for turning, so I think I would give it a shot. I would imagine it would be much like basswood or birch. Turn away, and let us know how it does for you. ;)

Kevin Gerstenecker
09-13-2003, 11:02 PM
Bill, I did find some time to do a little digging in some of my reference material, and here is what I found as far as the working properties of Beech Wood and some if it's uses:
Lumber, veneer, charcoal, railroad ties, pulpwood, cooperage, boxes, crates, baskets, pallets, furniture, flooring, sash, doors, trim, paneling, general millwork, woodenware, novelties, handles, brooms and brushes, food containers, turnery, and chemical extracts such as methanol, acetate and wood tar (creosote).
Kind of sounds like the do-all wood to me. I had no idea that Beech was so widely used for many of these applications. Notice that Turnery is on the list! So.................HAVE AT IT! :D

Bill MacLachlan
09-14-2003, 6:57 AM
Thanks for all the info Kevin. I will give this stuff a try. End sealer is on order and I will post a picture when I have something done.
Bill