PDA

View Full Version : need help Lathe height

Bill O'Conner
06-20-2006, 8:23 PM
I got my used lathe but it didn't come with a stand so I'm going to make one. But what I need to know is what is a good height from the lathe center to the floor?

Bill

Don Baer
06-20-2006, 8:27 PM
I believe Elbo height is about right.

Kenneth George
06-20-2006, 8:42 PM
The default starting point is having the center of the spindle even with your elbow while you are standing erect next to the lathe as mentioned. That should be considered a starting point however and a lot will depend on how large of items you intend on turning. If it is mostly large bowls and what not you may want the lathe a bit lower than that for comfort but as in my case I like turning mostly smaller items so mine is higher. I feel I get more control like this and it strains my back less.

My thoughts anyway and how mine are setup.

Ken

Bill O'Conner
06-20-2006, 8:46 PM
I don't think I will be doing any large bowls. The lathe I have is an older one with a swing of only 9" so it will be mostly smaller stuff.

Jim Becker
06-20-2006, 8:55 PM
What Kenneth said...the starting point is spindle at or slightly above where your elbow is with your arm at your site and the elbow bent so your hand is straight out in front of you. Adjust that for comfort depending on the style of turning you do, etc.

Bill O'Conner
06-20-2006, 8:59 PM
thanks for all the help, now I need to get working on a stand HEHEHE:rolleyes: