PDA

View Full Version : 18 x 24 plaque?

Carla Lange
06-20-2006, 6:22 PM
Any ideas where I could find a large plaque? I need a 18 x 24 if possible.
Forget me trying to make one.....I can't even stain a board correctly:mad:

Carla Lange

Pete Simmons
06-20-2006, 6:37 PM
Check with Martin at 1-800-383-7072

Studioworkshop

He might make one for you.

Shaddy Dedmore
06-20-2006, 6:42 PM
Maybe engrave a regular piece of ply, then take it to a frame shop.

This is 1/8" cherry ply, with a maple frame. I made the frame myself and etched the frame before assembling.

http://www.shaddysengraving.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/FramedWoodPlaque%20004.jpg

Joe Pelonio
06-20-2006, 6:55 PM
Something that big is going to be expensive to buy blanks for, be careful quoting it. I'm sure you could do a great job staining with help from the finishing area of the forum. Depending on your customer's requirements you might be able to find something useful unfinished at the nearest large craft store. For real hardwoods though, try to find a local cabinet maker or carpenter with a shop and make a deal with him, maybe trade for something like wood business cards.

Daryl Barberousse
06-20-2006, 7:04 PM
Carla,

What type of wood and how many?

Carla Lange
06-20-2006, 7:51 PM
This plaque will be for an outdoor sign, to be hung above a friends shop. It's my gift to him. I don't care on the type of wood, just that it's ok for outdoor use, and engraves nicely.
Thanks for your sugestions so far. I'll follow up on some of them.

George M. Perzel
06-20-2006, 8:15 PM
Hi Carla;
Get 4 feet (plus a little extra) of 1x10 cedar siding-smooth one side (about $10). Cut it in half and edge glue the two pieces together . Find someone with a router to put a profile on the edge-random orbit sand it (smooth side). Laser it (slow or twice to get color). Put two coats of Danish penetrating finish on it-let it dry and hang the sucker.
George

Keith Outten
06-21-2006, 6:47 AM
Carla,

Exterior wooden signs are high maintenance. Possibly you could switch to Dupont Corian for your sign, it engraves beautifully and is inexpensive to paint fill. Corian doesn't require any spray finishing and will last for decades. Engrave, paint fill and run your random orbital sander over the surface and your done. The color is throughout the material and won't fade or rot. The cost of the material is offset by less expensive finishing and over time Corian is by far a superior exterior service material.

Carla Lange
06-21-2006, 9:59 AM
Thanks for your suggestions.
I think I'll try George's idea of gluing two pieces together.
I don't have an outlet for Corian, as I live in a very rural area, and the cost might break the bank.
If this works, I'll post a picture, but don't look for it for a couple of weeks.
Thanks, again!

Carla Lange