PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw fence system

Julio Navarro
06-20-2006, 5:34 PM
I am looking at three bandsaw resaw fences;
Kreg KMS7200, Accusquare and the Grizzly H7588 Resaw Fence.

The Accusquare looks pretty solid.

Does anyone have any experiance with either of these fences?

I plan to use it to resaw no higher than 6" to 8" boards.

tod evans
06-20-2006, 5:59 PM
julio, build one...02 tod

Jeff Horton
06-20-2006, 6:06 PM
I have to second Tod. It's a simple thing to build. Why buy one?

Al Willits
06-20-2006, 6:43 PM
OK, if he didn't build one, which one then? :)

Al

Hoa Dinh
06-20-2006, 6:59 PM
My local tool store has the BS similar to the one in the photo on clearance for $27.

I bought one and added a sub fence made from a piece of 3/4" thick melamine and a section of T-track. IMHO, it is excellent for the price.

I can pick one up and send to you at cost (assuming they still have it in stock). The box is about 6"X12"X24" and weighs about 12 lbs, shipped from zip 94501.

Art Davis
06-20-2006, 8:19 PM
Julio,

Though you didn't give this as one of your options, have you looked at the Rockler band saw table/fence system? I put one on my Griz G0555 about six months ago and am delighted-----.

Jim Hinze
06-20-2006, 8:21 PM
I have the Kreg system and it's very solid, stable and accurate.

David Duke
06-20-2006, 8:28 PM
For over 20 yrs I did as Tod said built my own, but a couple years ago I decided to try the Kreg fence and have been really pleased with it, simple to install and adjust for drift plus with the resaw guide it provides quick extra height to the fence. Although I bought the micro adjustment I really haven't had a need to use it, since I normally either will run the material back through the planer or drum sander I don't need the fine adjustment.

Bob Reeve
06-20-2006, 9:00 PM
I have the Kreg system and it is very easy to install. It is also easy to use and I do use the micro adjust feature. I would reccomend it.

Chet Parks
06-21-2006, 8:44 AM
Why spend good money for one, when you can made one that works just as good, if you have a jointer?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v512/ChetParks/Tools/DSC00380.jpg

The slice is less than 1/8" thich and I have no trouble setting the fence up to do this repeatly.

Chet Parks

tod evans
06-21-2006, 8:59 AM
OK, if he didn't build one, which one then? :)

Al

honestly al i`ve never looked at the ready mades. for years, before i bought the mm saws i just built `em, straight for veneer, angled for making thresholds or sills. if one got buggered up big deal scrap`s free. even today the "stock" fence gets used very little, all resawing is now done with a feeder and its fence and all angled cuts are done with job specific fences that are pitched after use. i suppose if a fellow just wants to go buy a fence there are some doozies on the market? but i`ll have one banged together and the boards cut before ya` get back from the store:) ...02 tod

Per Swenson
06-21-2006, 9:24 AM
I am capable of throwing vast amouts of money

at any problem. Not because it works, I am just wired that way.

I need to limb a tree, you would think I would use one of the 4 sawzalls

I have. Nah, I need a Stilh. With this brief moment of introspection

behind us, I have to side with the build it yerself camp.

Granted there is one of those snazzy carbide blades and carters on this old jet

it resaws and veneers like a champ.

It's just a couple of pieces of very accurately cut mdf that was on its way to the trash.

Per

Julio Navarro
06-21-2006, 9:37 AM
Julio,

Though you didn't give this as one of your options, have you looked at the Rockler band saw table/fence system? I put one on my Griz G0555 about six months ago and am delighted-----.

I looked at Rockler but I couldnt find their bandsaw fences.

I will look again.

Julio Navarro
06-21-2006, 9:40 AM
julio, build one...02 tod

I've definately been thinking about that, but with building the cyclone, all my shop cabinets including work bench and table saw cabinet, I just wanted to take a break from doing it myself and just buy it this time.

But belive me, I have been contemplating it.

Jim Hinze
06-21-2006, 9:43 AM
I looked at Rockler but I couldnt find their bandsaw fences.

I will look again.

Here it is (shortenend the link w/tiny URL)

Rockler Bandsaw Fence (http://tinyurl.com/hvf3f)

Frank Fusco
06-21-2006, 9:55 AM
Is there a difference between a 'resaw fence' and the fence that comes with many bandsaws? e.g. the fence that came with my Grizzly G0555.

Julio Navarro
06-21-2006, 10:20 AM
a resaw fence is usually taller than a regular BS fence. I have yet to resaw anything but I've seen the attachment that allowes you to guide the piece to allow for blade drift.

Ben Roman
06-21-2006, 10:39 AM
I bought the Grizzly upgrade to the Fence for resawing and I love it. Not too bad on the pocketbook either.

Ben

Jeffrey Makiel
06-22-2006, 10:51 AM
Julio,

I recently went thru an upgrade. I investigated three choices. Here are my opinions...

Grizzly Resaw: did not see in person, but looks like it is well constucted. However, the fence may not be able to go on the right side of your blade because of its L-shaped design. This is important to me for performing beveled rips on narrow stock. With the table tilted, the fence and table create a nice cradle to support the stock. Also, other posters in another forum have stated that the left side of the fence is not machine finished and may require a auxillary board to make it straight and smooth. The removable resaw fence is nice, but this can be quickly fabricated from shop scrap. Fence is about $140 with shipping.

Kreg Fence: It looks like Ok quality, but I don't care for the extruded aluminum appearance. It looks like it was made in a aluminum window factory. However, some folks say it's pretty nice. I examined one at a Woodworking Show last winter. When the demonstrator moved away from the bandsaw, I wiggled the end of the fence and did not like the amount of deflection. If you go with Kreg, you will have to build a resaw fence because the stock fence is not that high. The Kreg went for around $125.

JET Fence: This is what I ended up getting. It looks professionally designed and is very solid when locked in place. JET sells the fence as accessory item for their 14" and 16" bandsaws. My saw is 18" with a slightly longer table. Therefore, I made a simple extenstion bracket on the end of the fence from a piece of aluminum. If you are thinking of this fence, check out the length of your table, and the length of the table of a similar JET bandsaw. It comes with a resaw "post" which I have never used. But an aux resaw fence can easily attach via the hole from the resaw post. Also, this fence can adjust for blade drift which I believe the others cannot. It can be bought from Amazon for $80 with free shipping.

My opinion only.
cheers, Jeff

Julio Navarro
06-22-2006, 11:31 AM
Thanks Jeff. Very nice comparison. Good points to keep in mind. Thanks again.

Jeff Horton
06-22-2006, 12:18 PM
I've definately been thinking about that, but with building the cyclone, all my shop cabinets including work bench and table saw cabinet, I just wanted to take a break from doing it myself and just buy it this time.

It's only a 10 or 15 minute job. I look at things like that as taking a break. Plus I have more time than money. ;) YMMV of course.

Julio Navarro
06-22-2006, 3:40 PM
Darn it Jeff, you had to talk me into it, didnt you, now I gotta think of something else to buy:mad:

Al Willits
06-26-2006, 1:29 AM
What if we narrowed this down a bit, I would like to use a fence on my 14" delta mainly for resawing appox 1/8th to 1/4" strips for both inlays and veneer.
I'd rather not make my own, been leaning towards the Kreg, but haven't used any of them.
If I'm not mistaken, the Kreg can be adjusted for drift. ??

Al

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
06-26-2006, 1:42 AM
Darn it Jeff, you had to talk me into it, didnt you, now I gotta think of something else to buy:mad:

What Julio, you have a problem coming up with something :eek:

Build you own, if you like, you can even buy some nice alumi piece for the fence part, but really it is a very simple thing to do.

Heck, for $130, I'll build you one and ship it to you :D

Cheers!

Lee DeRaud
06-26-2006, 3:23 AM
The "make-your-own" subject got a workout awhile back:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=27764
There are some additional useful links inside that thread.

M. A. Espinoza
06-26-2006, 12:48 PM
Since nobody has mentioned it, if you have a Delta-clone 14" you might look at the old-style Delta fence. You can find them on auction sites.

Look for the type with the secondary lock on the end of the fence and a C-channel table rail. Not the one with the round rail. I tracked one down for about 60 bucks and its a great fixture. Don't really need to lock the back unless resawing but when you do its rock solid.

Has a micro-adjust and a scale on the rail both of which are convenient.

In practice does it work better than my shop made fence? No, not while cutting but it sets up faster and eliminates the need to measure to blade. Both save time so its worth it to me.

Only issue is that it is specific to table size of original Delta 14" table. You would need to modify the fence to get it to work with other table depths and possibly the mounting rail bolt spacing of imports. I have a USA Delta so none of that was an issue for me. If you want spec's I can get them for you.

Good luck.

Julio Navarro
06-26-2006, 2:16 PM
I was thinking about making a rail system of my own.

The issue of course it the straightness of the side rails. While cleaning around the shop I took note of a feed roller, the kind you ues to help feed stock on the table saw. Its a telescoping armature with a roller at the end.

Well, they run about 20$ each and the square tube is remarkably straight and cut in half it spans about the same distance as the table on my BS. All I would need to do is cut it and drill for the screws.

Then to figure out the guide and fence...

.... the roller from two of these could be the beginings of a drumn sander...hmmmm