PDA

View Full Version : Table Saw Question

Mike Hill
06-20-2006, 1:12 PM
I am finding that the top of my table saw is picking up rust very quickly. Need some of the solutions some of you have used to:
1. Clean the top of all rust.
2. Coat it to prevent rust and spots.

Thanks
Mike

tod evans
06-20-2006, 1:14 PM
mike, scotch brite pads and furniture wax should get `ya goin`...02 tod

Lee Schierer
06-20-2006, 1:24 PM
I use scotchbrite pads and johnson paste wax on my table saw top. Rust can be an on going battle with cast iron in some locations. I find that frequent use and waxing whenever, I feel the wood dragging on the top to work for me.

We use Boe-shield T-9 at work to prevent steel & cast iron parts from rusting. I tried it on my table saw and didn't care for the feel of the surface, though it did seem ot prevent rust. "Wood" did a pretty severe test a few years ago and they found T-9 provided the best rust protection. You can attach a scotch brite pad to a vibratory sander to speed up the cleaning process.

Whatever you do don't use automotive paste or liquid waxes as most contain silicone, which will give you grief with your finishes.

Also, some people have an acidic condition that causes their skin oils to be particularly corrosive to iron & steel. We had several people here at work that had this problem. We've seen pieces of newly machined steel rust within hours with their finger prints. It seems to be related to high alcohol consumption as one individual who had the corrosive touch, quit drinking and the problem went away for him.

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-20-2006, 1:44 PM
Yah what they said & be sure you have no silicone in the wax - allmose all car polishes have silicone.

Also install a dehumidifyer.

glenn bradley
06-20-2006, 2:00 PM
Ditto on the scotch pads to clean. I use Johnsons wax to protect but California is a lot dryer than Texas. A more sophisticated treatment may serve you better (T-9 and such). A number of products designed for firearms can be helpful as well. Check the local gun shop.

Allen Bookout
06-20-2006, 2:06 PM
T9 then wax over the top of it. Johnsons Paste Wax works.

Ben Roman
06-20-2006, 2:13 PM
I use T9 and Wax. Works fine in georgetown

Ben

Andy Fox
06-20-2006, 2:34 PM
In my dehumidified, AC'd basement shop, Johnson's paste wax does great. In my previous kerosene-heated, humid garage shop, it only helped a little. Topcote worked pretty well when applied every month, and it left a smooth dry surface. Boeshield works the best, but the surface is too sticky/oily to work on.

Allen Bookout
06-20-2006, 2:37 PM
Boeshield works the best, but the surface is too sticky/oily to work on.

You let it dry a little and then wipe off the excess. Then wax over the top of it to make it smooth and slick.

Aaron Beaver
06-20-2006, 2:43 PM
I use T9 and Wax. Works fine in georgetown

Ben

I do the same thing.

Frank Fusco
06-20-2006, 2:49 PM
Steel wool. Johnson's paste wax.

Fred Woodward
06-20-2006, 3:07 PM
I've used the T9 and wax but found that Corrosion X worked better for me. I wipe it on, let it set a bit and then wipe it off to touch. Apply wax.

Mike Hill
06-20-2006, 3:11 PM
I could not find Johnson's wax and used some paste wax from Minwax, which may be exacerbating the problem. Although it is REALLY humid here these days. Will definitely try the T-9, Scotchbrite pads and wax. Anyone know who carries Johnsons paste wax in this area? I tried our local supermarket (HEB) and could not find any.
Mike

tod evans
06-20-2006, 3:15 PM
mike, the borgs carry it in floor care

Allen Bookout
06-20-2006, 3:57 PM
Our Wal Mart has it but is kind of hard to find in the store. May have to ask someone. I think that Minwax is ok but maybe someone here has some information to the contrary.

tod evans
06-20-2006, 4:33 PM
Our Wal Mart has it but is kind of hard to find in the store. May have to ask someone. I think that Minwax is ok but maybe someone here has some information to the contrary.

allen i use them interchangably, heck i even use an old can of fullerbrush floor wax i picked up at a yardsale. whichever can is closer to the tool. whenever boards get a little dificult to push i slather on some wax. guess i look at it more as tool lube than rust preventitive, an added benefit to slipery surfaces is no rust...02 tod

Mike Hill
06-20-2006, 4:41 PM
mike, the borgs carry it in floor care

Todd: I hate to tell you this, but I remember the Fuller Brush Man coming to our house :)

Will give the BORG's and WalMart a look.
Thanks

Mike

tod evans
06-20-2006, 4:45 PM
me too mike, and milk-n-butter at the front door in the morning..tod

Phil Phelps
06-20-2006, 5:06 PM
..by installing a stainless steel top. I think HD has em' to fit most saws.

glenn bradley
06-20-2006, 5:33 PM
If you have Lowes, I got mine there. Large can, $5.

Mike Canaris
06-20-2006, 6:53 PM
I use renaissance wax (http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=3235) ..available at W##dcraft.

Frankie Hunt
06-20-2006, 9:03 PM
Renaissance wax is great. It seems to last longer that Johnsons however be carefull when putting it on. When you apply it and let it start drying, if you let it dry too long, you will have a very hard time buffing it back down. DAMHIKT.