PDA

View Full Version : How to I start with some fresh logs?

Tim Solley
06-20-2006, 1:06 PM
Hi guys,

Okay, so I'm a brand new turner. I've turned a couple of bowls (out of dried blanks), and a half dozen pens or so. Yesterday I scored a couple thousand pounds of red oak logs. I have pieces from 5" up to about 15" in diameter. I have never done any green turning.

Basically, I'm not sure where to start. Can I let these logs sit in my yard until I'm ready to do something with them, or do I need to address them right away? The tree came down just a few days ago in a storm. I don't even have a chainsaw yet, so I wouldn't be able to turn the larger pieces yet. I could turn the smaller pieces if I use the bandsaw to cut them up.

Any suggestions? Books to read or (preferably) web sites that will point me in the right direction?

Thanks for any help!

Tim

tod evans
06-20-2006, 1:09 PM
tim, try here to start;
http://www.enter.net/~ultradad/

bill`s a member here who does cool stuff....02 tod

Mark Patoka
06-20-2006, 1:32 PM
Tim,
Congrats on the wood score. You're going to want to seal the ends of those logs to keep them from drying out too fast and splitting on you. I did a bunch of red oak last year and just used latex paint and seems to be working well. You can also use Anchorseal or Woodcraft sealer which is more of a wax-type substance. If you just leave the logs, they will start splitting on you and you may end up losing a lot.

Treat yourself and put some of that green wood on the lathe. You'll have a blast as it cuts like butter. Great fun for a new turner.

Mark Pruitt
06-20-2006, 1:41 PM
Tim, if you haven't already seen it, here is an excellent article that Dennis Peacock wrote that should prove helpful.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=34370

Raymond Overman
06-20-2006, 1:59 PM
tim, try here to start;
http://www.enter.net/~ultradad/ (http://www.enter.net/%7Eultradad/)

bill`s a member here who does cool stuff....02 tod

Bill also has a video that discusses the processes from trees to finished pieces that I'd recommend. Well worth watching at least a dozen times.

Christopher K. Hartley
06-20-2006, 3:03 PM
The Vortex has sucked me in...I almost can't believe I'm saying this..."No Pics, Never Happened":rolleyes:

George Conklin
06-20-2006, 9:59 PM
The Vortex has sucked me in...I almost can't believe I'm saying this..."No Pics, Never Happened":rolleyes:

Atta boy, Chris. Go get him!:D

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
06-20-2006, 10:36 PM
Good deal Tim!

I too recommend Bill's DVD, I've only once ever seen someone else, besides myself, turn in person, so Bill's DVD has been it for me.

Cheers!

Ken Fitzgerald
06-20-2006, 11:32 PM
Tim..........I'm with Stu! I'd never seen anybody turn. Between Bill Grumbine's video and some Raffan videos......I've been able to get R done...in my style! Bill's video does cover how to handle trees to bowls!

Tim Solley
06-20-2006, 11:34 PM
Boy, you picture police are tough! That's the third time I've posted without a picture! So here's a picture of my haul, and a picture of my new lathe, with various accessories nearby.

Thanks for the tips guys. You're always a big help.

Tim

George Conklin
06-21-2006, 12:22 AM
All is forgiven;) .

Dennis Peacock
06-21-2006, 1:15 AM
Tim, if you haven't already seen it, here is an excellent article that Dennis Peacock wrote that should prove helpful.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=34370

Thanks for the "hint" Mark. Since I reworked my web site, the links to the pics in the article were missing. I've now corrected that and the pics are now there. Thank you!!!!;)

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
06-21-2006, 2:12 AM
Looking good Tim, and thanks for the pics!!

Oh yeah, you had better get them sealed up!

:D

Glenn Hodges
06-21-2006, 8:23 AM
Tim, now that you have an ample supply of wood the next thing to do and do it quick is to seal the ends of that oak with something like anchorseal, and because it is oak and as hot as it is I would recommend multiple coats.

Then get you a couple of used pickup trucks and put them on blocks, these must be placed strategically in the front yard to achieve the desired ambiance along with the new pile of oak. Artwork like this in the front yard tends to draw the guys you want that have chainsaws. If this fails locate someone with a chainsaw and tell them you are having a Texas barbeque if you only had access to a chainsaw to help you cut up a few pieces of oak and drink a bunch of beer you have iced down. You might pass the word to a few buddies that have some excess meat also to keep the expenses down. When the day comes you will have everything covered including the help to stack the wood when they get through cutting it per your instruction. I don't know how red oak is for barbecuing so you better be on the lookout for some mesquite in the meantime.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
06-21-2006, 6:02 PM
Nice looking score, Tim! Hay---is that a HF lathe, or a Griz?

Tim Solley
06-21-2006, 6:09 PM
Nice looking score, Tim! Hay---is that a HF lathe, or a Griz?

It's a Harbor Freight lathe. I bought it from Curtis Seebeck (creeker) a few weeks back. It's definitely one of the diamonds in the HF rough. It even withstood the abuse of me accidentally letting it fall over :eek:.

Tim

Mark Pruitt
06-21-2006, 7:35 PM
Thanks for the "hint" Mark. Since I reworked my web site, the links to the pics in the article were missing. I've now corrected that and the pics are now there. Thank you!!!!;)
I figured it was just my computer acting goofy, didn't realize it was a problem with the links themselves. Thanks for fixing it.:)

Mark Pruitt
06-21-2006, 7:46 PM
Tim, that's the same lathe I have. The 34706. I bought 4 bags of sand (60 lb. bags I think), put them in garbage bags to prevent spillage, and placed them on a piece of plywood that I cut to fit the lower cross members on the frame. That has added a lot of stability to this lathe. Of course I lost the ability to use that space for storage, but the added stability was worth it for me. You might consider that if it becomes an issue for you.