PDA

View Full Version : Palm Wood Bowl

Jim King
06-20-2006, 11:50 AM
This is another last minete thought as to where to put some excess resin. As the palm trees grow with a sponge like interior and a thin outer wall it is impossible to get much for design. In this case I threw in some white wood peices as filler and poured in the resin in order to get something to cut into. The rim was glued and dowled on as a complete end to make it easy to fit into the lathe to round the rough log and then cut out when the face plate was sufficient. A little bit strange but some people like it. Next one will be large to smaller sizes of logs turned to fit inside each other to give a solid palm blank. The size of the bowl is about 10 inches dia. x 12 inches tall.

Bernie Weishapl
06-20-2006, 12:52 PM
Jim that is just pretty cool. I like it. Nice job. How does palm turn? I thought about getting some to do boxes with. Thanks.

Jim King
06-20-2006, 1:30 PM
Bernie: For turning or planing palm wood all you need is a good sense of humor, gloves, facesheild and leather jacket with sleeves. I have never turned anything small like a pen blank out of it but the larger peices are miserable until you get to the sanding stage. Thousands of quills shooting at you.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
06-20-2006, 6:55 PM
That looks really cool, Jim. I like it a lot!

Corey Hallagan
06-20-2006, 8:14 PM
Just plain cool there Jim!!

Corey

Bruce Shiverdecker
06-20-2006, 9:01 PM
Looks Very GOOD, Jim!

Bruce

John Timberlake
06-20-2006, 10:29 PM
Very cool. You really know how to get the most out of wood like that. Good design.

Bernie Weishapl
06-21-2006, 2:38 PM
Thanks Jim. I just got the same info from a friend of mine. He said it is the pits and you better have all and he said all your gear on.

Darick Cayton
06-21-2006, 2:41 PM
Oooh, very nice!!

Michael Stafford
06-21-2006, 4:13 PM
Jim, that is a most interesting way to make use of a most interesting material. I have a question for you. A while back I got hold of some wood that had the name "Red Kabas". It looked very similar to this material but was very hard and splintery. Is this the same material or something entirely different? I don't think the "Red Kabas" had any resin in it.....

Jim King
06-21-2006, 4:47 PM
Michael: I have never seen Red Kabas but looking it up on the USDA Tropical Wood site it is of the "Leguminosae" family which is normally real trees. The bowl I have shown is a palm tree.