PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Mini Max E16 Bandsaw

Fred Woodward
06-20-2006, 10:49 AM
I'm looking to upgrade my bandsaw for more resaw capacity and have seen some great reviews on the Mini Max line of saws. Looked on their website and saw the special on the E16 bandsaw. I've seen some posts on this forum from 2005 but haven't seen much since.
How are these saws holding up? Any recent reviews?
Fortunately, I live in Austin area and will be taking a trip to Mini Max to see the saws in person.
Any reviews appreciated.

Jim O'Dell
06-20-2006, 10:57 AM
Fred, there are 2 or 3 others here with the E-16. I bought one, but am still in the process of rehabbing my shop bldg and haven't turned power on yet. I'm sure the others will pop in with their views.
When did they finally add it to the web site? I looked about 4 weeks ago, and it still wasn't listed. Jim.

EDIT: I just went and looked, and I still don't see it. Can you supply an address? Thanks!

Fred Woodward
06-20-2006, 11:08 AM
I saw it in their "Specials" section of the website. No other mention of it on the website. The address for Mini Max is:
2012 Centimeter Circle
Austin, TX 78758
(512) 341-9776

http://www.minimax-usa.com/specials.html

Cecil Arnold
06-20-2006, 11:28 AM
Fred, I can only base this on the MM 16, so take it FWIW, but from what I've seen it looks like the price is right and the service appears to continue to be really good. Unfortunately, living in Texas you will have to pony up sales tax.

Jim O'Dell
06-20-2006, 12:22 PM
OK. it's on their specials page. Glad I got mine when I did. At the current price, if they have any mor of the S-45's, that might be a better deal. http://www.minimax-usa.com/specials.html Jim.

OOPS! Didn't see Fred had it on his post.

Bill Spievak
06-20-2006, 12:37 PM
I have band saw envy for all those that have the MM16. I have a neighbor with one and I get to use his from time to time - it is a great tool. Just too rich for my blood!

Jim O'Dell
06-20-2006, 12:49 PM
Yeah, I'd love to have the MM16. From the price of the S45 (which I now see has gone back up to 1895.00) I had decided to wait and get the MM16. Then the intro price on the E16 came out, and I couldn't not get it. Didn't make the LOML very happy, but... Oh and the 1695.00 price on the E16 includes freight. I think freight to my house, in state, was just over 200.00. So that puts the E16 price where most people speculated it would be when introduced last year. Jim.

Mac Cambra
06-20-2006, 12:58 PM
Being new to the site I don't want to over gloat but I just placed an order literally an hour ago for the MM16. I took advantage of their summer special which basically throws in some accessories and shipping for an extra $100.

I am excited to get to use it when it arrives.

tod evans
06-20-2006, 1:02 PM
Being new to the site I don't want to over gloat but I just placed an order literally an hour ago for the MM16. I took advantage of their summer special which basically throws in some accessories and shipping for an extra $100.

I am excited to get to use it when it arrives.

that`s a pretty impressive gloat mac!

Craig Zettle
06-20-2006, 1:17 PM
I have had my E16 for awhile, and even though I swore I would never open my mouth again unless I was sure my comments were actually wanted, I am going to chime in because the E16 club is really, really small.
Here goes.
Things I like: Overall construction of the machine. It is the heaviest "feeling" machine in it's former price range. I looked at a bunch of 1000 dollar plus or minus bandsaws and if you like the feel of heavy metal, there is no comparison.
Power. I have pushed 5 and 6ft long, 11" maple logs through it. It can handle medium duty work with no problems. However, if ripping big logs is going to be your number 1 goal in life, get a bigger machine. Remember, this review is about the E16, not a comparison of the E16 to, for instance the M16.
Blade changes are easy if you remove the moblity kit, as the wheel on the door side gets in the way of a full door opening.
I like the euro guides, but I really like the optional ceramic guides. With them you can get them closer to the blade with less heat build up.
Things I don't like: The fence. It rides on a square metal bar and is just not precise enough for my liking. It is heavy and solid and you can adjust it for drift, but I wish it could be moved "just a hair" if need be.
There are other things I could pick about, but that would not be comparing apples to apples. I am sure you will get a bunch of M16 owners extolling the virtues of a machine that is waaaaay out of my price range, but I still think that for the money, I did well. Jim O'Dells' suggestion to look at the S45 is a good one, because at least Mini Max has enough faith in that model to include it in their lineup. The E has not been embraced by the company and I don't look for them to in the future.
It is made by Centauro, though! (Honest it is Paul!)

tod evans
06-20-2006, 1:31 PM
[quote=Craig Zettle]and even though I swore I would never open my mouth again unless I was sure my comments were actually wanted,quote]

aw man! jump on in anytime it suits your fancy, that`s why this place runs like it does..02 tod

Fred Woodward
06-20-2006, 2:49 PM
Craig, thanks for your comments. That is exactly what I was looking for. Real opinion from real experience with the tool. I'm not really looking for how well the MM16 does; I'm sure it is a great saw, based on all of the reviews and testimonials I have seen on it. Wish I could afford one.
Actually I am trying to compare the E16 with the Rikon 18" saw as a closer comparison.

tod evans
06-20-2006, 3:10 PM
Craig, thanks for your comments. That is exactly what I was looking for. Real opinion from real experience with the tool. I'm not really looking for how well the MM16 does; I'm sure it is a great saw, based on all of the reviews and testimonials I have seen on it. Wish I could afford one.
Actually I am trying to compare the E16 with the Rikon 18" saw as a closer comparison.

fred,
never having used either, but having delt with the folks at minimax and knowing the quality of equipment they offer, i`ll offer a determined shove in that direction:) ...02 tod

Tom Jones III
06-20-2006, 3:51 PM
A further question for any Minimax BS, how good is the dust collection?

tod evans
06-20-2006, 4:26 PM
tom, it works.

Jim Becker
06-20-2006, 5:19 PM
A further question for any Minimax BS, how good is the dust collection?

...as good and as challenging as any bandsaw can be. Nature of the beast!

Kurt Loup
06-20-2006, 5:47 PM
I have an E16. I agree with Craig's assessment. I bought it specifically for resawing, but I haven't used it to its potential yet. I ran this piece of oak vertically against a fence and the saw didn't slow down.

http://www.loup-garou.net/images/resaw.jpg

Here are a few more pictures of my saw:

http://www.loup-garou.net/sitebuilder/images/fence-578x444.jpg

http://www.loup-garou.net/sitebuilder/images/guides-576x438.jpg

http://www.loup-garou.net/sitebuilder/images/saw-449x581.jpg\

Given the current price difference between the E16 and the Rikon 18, I doubt I would have purchased it over the Rikon even though I like the E16's features better. I looked over a Rikon at Woodcraft once. It looked like a nice saw.

Kurt

Roger Meeker
07-02-2006, 12:23 AM
I just ordered an E16 last week, should be in after the 4th. I can't wait.

After comparing the Grizzly 513X, Rikon 18", and a brief look at the Jet, I decided to go with the Minimax based on all the great reviews of the company. Not many reviews on the saw, but lots on the company. The 1695 price includes the wheel kit, euro guides, and Lenox blade...about $300 of options. That made the Grizzly only $400 cheaper...which for a lifetime of use is not a lot. Easy choice.

Any more comments on the saw are welcome, and I'll add more as I learn more.