PDA

View Full Version : Talk about a slab of Bubinga....PIC

Gord Graff
09-13-2003, 3:05 PM
Hi All,

I was in my favorite money pit today, Century Mill in Stouffville and I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this beauty. It is one massive slab of Bubinga, too bad it's sold. Sorry for the large picture, I'm having a heck of a time getting used to this new fangled digital camera.

All the best
Gord

Dan McLaughlin
09-13-2003, 3:24 PM
Gord:

Very nice piece of wood. Any idea how much it went for? Nice looking German Shepard too :)

Dave Hammelef
09-13-2003, 4:25 PM
How tall was that It goes out the top of the pic?

Todd Burch
09-13-2003, 4:50 PM
O M G.

Jason Roehl
09-13-2003, 4:55 PM
That sure would make a neat natural-edge table (albeit a BIG one)!!

Wow.

Wow.

Lloyd Robins
09-13-2003, 5:16 PM
It makes your mouth water. I would hate to guess the cost. Thanks for the picture.

Tom Sweeney
09-13-2003, 5:18 PM
some lucky company will probably get a gorgeous conferance table. Thanks for the pic! :cool:

Gord Graff
09-13-2003, 6:15 PM
Hi Gang,

The piece is just over 4' wide, a little better than 12' long and it's figure is nothing short of amazing. I don't know what it sold for but I heard somewhere in the area of $900 Cdn.

The dog is a real beauty, she's not mine but looks almost identical to my girl. The piece was bought by a local fellow (he owns a woodworking tool store) so you can rest assured that it's going to a good home.

All the best
Gord

Todd Burch
09-13-2003, 9:36 PM
$900 Cdn? What's that --- $250 US? A steal!! I'll take 2!

Jim Becker
09-13-2003, 9:54 PM
$900 Cdn? What's that --- $250 US? A steal!! I'll take 2!

Just under $600 US...

chris toomey
09-13-2003, 10:00 PM
it actually saddens me to see photos like that. i love beautiful wood as much as the next guy, but when they are gone ....thats it. what is a 500 year old tree worth to you?

Todd Burch
09-13-2003, 11:58 PM
OK, (the $250 was a joke), even @ $12.50/bf US (assuming it's 4/4 thick), that's a deal. I paid $21.50/bf for some 8/4 curly bubinga a couple months ago. Gord, can he get any more - seriously?

It's pictured on their web site (http://www.centurymill.com/) too!

Gord Graff
09-14-2003, 7:18 AM
Hi Todd,

There is still a bunch of it there. I didn't realize that Century Mill had this piece on their web site (http://www.centurymill.com/).

The best thing you can do is e-mail Jack at the mill and ask him what you need to know. I can say that I've been dealing with these guys for the past 5 years and I've always been happy with the results.

Let me know if there is anything I can do in this regard, I'll be happy to help out wherever I can.

All the best
Gord Graff
moe-dern@rogers.com

Jason Roehl
09-14-2003, 8:01 AM
it actually saddens me to see photos like that. i love beautiful wood as much as the next guy, but when they are gone ....thats it. what is a 500 year old tree worth to you?

That's a good point, Chris, I'm sure none of us here would advocate just chopping them "all" down so we could bolster our stores of cool wood. The flip side is, it would be wise to harvest trees like that if they were in danger of becoming diseased or dying. I recently cut down 2 cherry trees that had gone far too long--one had been dead standing for some time, resulting in alot of punky wood (I think I'll get 1 turning blank), the other had been infested with carpenters (I got 3-4 turning blanks). Neither tree was really worth much anymore.

Just my thoughts.

Todd Burch
09-15-2003, 12:32 PM
I talked to Century. Seem to be nice people. They're working out a price quote for me. Hope it is in line with the pricing mentioned above!!! If so, I've already got the table plans drawn up. :D