PDA

View Full Version : Ear and eye protection

Gary Herrmann
06-20-2006, 4:31 AM
A couple years ago I bought a set of ear muffs with built in safety glasses. My wife helps me downstairs once in awhile and would like her own pair. The dumb part is that I can't remember where I bought them, and searches haven't turned anything up. Anyone recall a site where I can buy something like this? Thx.

Ted Jay
06-20-2006, 7:05 AM
A couple years ago I bought a set of ear muffs with built in safety glasses. My wife helps me downstairs once in awhile and would like her own pair. The dumb part is that I can't remember where I bought them, and searches haven't turned anything up. Anyone recall a site where I can buy something like this? Thx.
like these?
http://www.approvedgasmasks.com/earmuffs-optimuff.htm

Paul B. Cresti
06-20-2006, 7:41 AM
Like the ones on my head!:D ..........try the suppliers for Police/Security products. My first pair I go through Woodworkers Supply, years ago (they no longer carry them) and the second was through a Police supplier, sold out.

Al Willits
06-20-2006, 8:56 AM
Not sure if the link will work, but this is a good place to get hearing and eye protection

Al

Midway USA Reloading Supplies (http://www.midwayusa.com/)

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
06-20-2006, 9:17 AM
Why would you want the two items hooked together?

I wear my safety glasses the momment I walk into the shop, but I'd hate to have to wear my ear muffs all day long.

I keep three pairs of ear muffs on hooks near the machines I use the most, and when I got to use them, they are just a reach away.

For shooting etc, yeah, makes sense, but for a one man workshop, I make the noise, so I know when to put on the muffs.

or am I missing something? :D

Frank Fusco
06-20-2006, 9:46 AM
I have to wonder also, why two thingys hooked together. Seems awkward. For periods of use more than about ten minutes, I prefer silicone ear plugs. I have them everywhere within easy reach. For quicky loud jobs I put on ear muff type protection. Where eye protection is needed I use a full face mask.

Paul B. Cresti
06-20-2006, 9:55 AM
You say potatoe I say zuchinni....I like them a lot. I have a pair I use for the tractor and a pair for the shop. If you need hearing protection you also need eye protection..... if you need eye protection you need hearing protection. I wear them anytime my machines are running. The glasses flip up and stay up if needed and they are a Godsend for people like me that wear glasses. Try em you'll like em....even Mikey likes em ;)

Ellen Benkin
06-20-2006, 12:26 PM
The best hearing protection is available at any gun shop. I'm not sure if they carry the combo models, but people also wear eye protection when range shooting so they might.

Jim Becker
06-20-2006, 12:39 PM
While I personally prefer "separates", I can see how one might enjoy a "combo" eye/hearing protection device. (I actually use something like that when chain-sawing and running the chipper...a Peltor combination helmet, hearing protection and mesh face shield...which I augment with additional eye protection)

Ellen makes a good point...check with the shooters. A combo with active electronics would be even better since it would provide "normal" hearing when the noise is not present.

Al Willits
06-20-2006, 12:55 PM
While I personally prefer "separates", I can see how one might enjoy a "combo" eye/hearing protection device. (I actually use something like that when chain-sawing and running the chipper...a Peltor combination helmet, hearing protection and mesh face shield...which I augment with additional eye protection)

Ellen makes a good point...check with the shooters. A combo with active electronics would be even better since it would provide "normal" hearing when the noise is not present.

If you look at the electronic versions, be aware some muffle sound to different degree's, my shooting muffs will lower any noise to a safe level and still let me talk to the shooter next to me, some just shut down entirely.
Neither are bad, just different.

The best for sound reduction are the foam inserts, they have decibel reductions over 30, while most muffs are in lower to mid 20's, makes a difference on the shooting range, but not sure if wood working machinery needs that level of reduction.
Also the electronic ones need batteries, buy a couple spares...:)

Al

Doyle Alley
06-20-2006, 1:27 PM
I too would like to have a combo unit. The reason is that I can never get the muffs to seal right if I have a pair of safety glasses on. A combo unit would at least solve that problem.

Paul, while I will agree with you that a person needing hearing protection also needs eye protection, I disagree about the converse. I can think of several shop operations that do not require hearing protection but do require eye protection (i.e. hand tools).

glenn bradley
06-20-2006, 2:08 PM
[quote= I make the noise, so I know when to put on the muffs. :D[/quote]

I'm guilty of knowing I'm gonna make some noise and not putting the muffs on. Being a glasses wearer I find plugs serve me better and I frequently forget they're in till I walk in the house.

Of course this means the stereo in the garage is usually louder than it needs to be but my neighbors consider it free entertainment :D .

Dave Falkenstein
06-20-2006, 4:44 PM
... My wife helps me downstairs once in awhile and would like her own pair. ...

It must be really difficult - your wife needs safety gear just to help you down stairs??? Smile.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
06-20-2006, 4:48 PM
I don't agree with you Paul about needing hearing protection and eye protection at the same time.

For example, if I'm opening a can of thinner or paint, I do not need muffs on, but I sure as heck need safety glasses.

If I'm finishing a project by hand, again, eye protection, no muffs.

How about doing some hand carving............?

The list is long, and my ears sweat, so I only wear them when I'm going to make noise, this also is a bit of a ritual with me, when I put them on, I'm making noise, to make noise means I'm using some sort of power tool that can, and will take my hand off, thus, with the muffs on, I am much more alert and aware of what I'm doing, besides, with the muffs on I cannot hear my cell phone ring.

BTW, I NEVER say Zuchinni..... :D

Ian Barley
06-20-2006, 5:14 PM
I quite like the idea of a combo but having just invested in some presciption safety glasses I would not expect to be able to combine them as well and I hate wearing glasses over glasses.

As to hearing proptection. I put my muffs on as I walk in the shop and take them off as I walk out. The only time they come off in between is when I have to have a conversation on the phone. Just a habit. When my ears get sweaty I swap them (the ear defenders, not the ears) for a cool fresh pair. On a really hot day I have been known to put the muffs in the fridge.

Gary Herrmann
06-20-2006, 7:34 PM
I'm basically blind in one eye - born that way. I also wear glasses (er, a glass?). So, I'm paranoid about the vision thing. I like having it. I've found that wearing glasses, and the safety glasses over them plus ear muffs isn't very comfortable. Maybe if I had the strap type goggles, but I don't have a decent pair of those. And plus, these are for my wife, cuz as soon as I give her mine, I'll probably want them...

Dave, I'm 6'7" and weigh 230. My wife is 5'8. Imagine if I fall while she gets me down the stairs. She could get squished. Thus, the safety gear. :rolleyes:

Paul, I have a set that looks like yours and like them a lot.

Tom Andersen
06-21-2006, 2:48 PM
I'm basically blind in one eye - born that way. I also wear glasses (er, a glass?). So, I'm paranoid about the vision thing. I like having it.

Gary, I have vision problems with one eye. It's still ok but may get worse, so I may wind up in your situation one day. Is it difficult to do woodworking with only one good eye?

Jim O'Dell
06-21-2006, 3:03 PM
Gary, IIRC it was about a year and a half ago. Someone posted a place that was closing out these combo units for like 25.00. I bought a set, and like them. Can't remember for the life of me who it was through, but do remember they were not going to carry them anymore. Try Woodworkers, maybe Lee Valley, or even Amazon. Jim.

Howard Rosenberg
06-21-2006, 4:05 PM
or is it Granger?

They have lots of selection when it comes to that type of gear.

HTH
Howard

Howard Rosenberg
06-21-2006, 4:05 PM
or is it Granger?

They have lots of selection when it comes to that type of gear.

HTH
Howard