PDA

View Full Version : Pen Blanks Info?

Mark Rios
06-20-2006, 2:41 AM
The only thing I know about turning pens, other than what pen blanks are, is when I turn the barrel of one of my Cross pens to get ready to write. So, I ask this....

Is there a particular type(s) of wood that is preferred for pen blanks? Can any hardwood be used for the Freedom Pen project? Does the wood have to be already cut to a certain pen blank size? Or can it be a big chunk of wood that can be cut into pen blanks?

This inquiring mind would like to know.

Thanks very much.

Edit: Another question If I may.........Why is the price of, say for example, a bocote pen blank .99 cents at one place online and $4.99 at another?

Raymond Overman
06-20-2006, 8:21 AM
Generally, pen blanks are going to be from 5/8" square to 3/4" square and 5-6" long. Blanks vary in price due to a number of things. Cut, clarity, color... no wait a minute, that's diamonds.

Blanks vary in price because of size, grain patterns, and whether or not the blank is "stabilized". Stabalized means somethings added to the wood to make it more durable. I have mixed feelings about stabalized wood and probably would go with regular wood when making my pens. Especially if I was just starting out.

You can cut your own blanks from board stock or even log stock. Drying a 5/8" square by 6" blank of cherry burl can be fun when it decides to curl up and the ends touch so stack and sticker them and put something heavy on them after cutting them up. Let them dry for at least a few weeks if not more.

Any wood can be used but tight grained hardwoods, burls, curly, and spalted pieces give better results. I favor the darker burls myself.

Robert Wilson
06-20-2006, 8:50 AM
Mark:
I have made several pens for the FP project and the type of wood used is really not that important. I have done most with either cherry, walnut, maple, or oak because they are locally available at no cost. I have also done a lot in the exotic woods that I bought through various on-line suppliers. It is really the thought that counts. By making the pens (regardless of wood), you are showing support for the troops. I have received numerous emails from the men and women overseas expressing their gratitude that I took time out of my schedule to do something for them.

So to sum up, use whatever wood you want as long as it will accomodate drilling for the barrels. Just have fun and keep showing your support.

Regarding the price difference, the only thing I can think of is that the 4.99 blank was probably stabilized.

Hope this helps.
Bob

Rob Bourgeois
06-20-2006, 8:50 AM
You can cut your own blanks from board stock or even log stock. Drying a 5/8" square by 6" blank of cherry burl can be fun when it decides to curl up and the ends touch so stack and sticker them and put something heavy on them after cutting them up. Let them dry for at least a few weeks if not more.

I have been cutting penblanks out of any log I cut up for bowl blanks. (hackberry, bradford pear, magnolia, spalted cottonwood and splated maple.) I went to Dave Smiths alcohol site and found that there was a procedure for pen blanks. Basically..soak overnight then let air dry then coat the ends with anchorseal. Then stack loosely to dry usually a month or so. I havent had one twist yet. Size them a little big is what he suggests so I go 3/4 to 4/4 by 7.

Dont be afraid to try anything for pens.cutting wood on a bais often gives a different pattern than what you normally see with that wood.

Mark Rios
06-20-2006, 10:18 AM
Ya know what???? I guess I wasn't clear. I apologize. I didn't mean to imply that I was going to turn any. Boy, would that be a joke. I don't do ANY turning as I'm not a turner (yet. I'm sure that the spinny gods are somehow conspiring at this very moment).

I was asking because Jackie posted about the need for donations for the project. I was looking to donate some pen blanks and I was instantly confused when I went looking for them online.

Hopefully my query is more clear; any advice?

Mike Vickery
06-20-2006, 11:36 AM
Standard pen blanks are usually 3/4 to 7/8 by 5 1/4.

Larger pen require bigger blanks but that is the size you usually get when buying pen blanks.

Lots of preference for material but any hardwood will work.

Daniel Heine
06-20-2006, 11:49 AM
Mark,

I was at my local Woodcraft store a few months ago, and they were selling Bubinga blanks for $4.99 each. I decided to wait, and try my local hardwood store. I bought a peice of Bubinga there, it was 6 inches wide by 13 inches long, and it was $7.65. I got 12 blanks out of that peice, plus some scraps I glued together for a bottle stopper. A lot cheaper if you have the local resources.

Happy Turning,
Dan Heine

Earl Reid
06-20-2006, 12:46 PM
Hi, Mark
Woodcraft has bags of mixed hardwood blanks @ $12 ea. you can get about 40 pens from a bag. Ornamental bushes also make nice pens. sometimes you can get branches and roots from landscapers and friends.

Earl:)

Frank Fusco
06-20-2006, 2:53 PM
Preferred wood is in the eyes of the turner. Prices vary because some folks sell cheap because they just like to trade. Bigger companies have the bottom line in mind when pricing.

Randy Meijer
06-20-2006, 3:40 PM
I think Jackie was looking for money to purchase pen kits and/or pay for shipping of the finished pens to the troops. Usually, the person making the pens supply thier own blanks.