PDA

View Full Version : Some days things just go right and Life is Good!.........

Ken Fitzgerald
06-20-2006, 2:00 AM
Well........Today I had a great day at work! A major problem was resolved with a easy fix.......and I and a long time friend and customer are friends again!

Got home. MIL arrived from spending two weeks with my wifes oldest brother in Denver. She'll be here three weeks. That's good too!

Brought my first roughed out NE out of the DNA.....Ring shake cracks go all the way around the thing on the inside...didn't see them before the alky bath. The same crack goes about 50 % around on the outside.....I'm not sure if this one will go beyond the roughout stage. I haven't made that decision yet...................

But .......Oh my goodness! I turned the other peach blank from start to a finished 1/4"-5/16" thickness. I put a little BLO on it to POP the grain and ....WOW! The grain ....the color! WOW! Not a Ketron or an Overman or a Stinson or an ARKY (either one) or a Hart or a Hoyt or an Ernie or a Curt.... but.....an NE none the less! Managed to keep most of the bark on though some did explode off when I wasn't even approaching the wood with a tool! This piece has several occlusions and after I oiled it....My wife claimed it ....after I complete the finish of course!

Photos to follow tomorrow a.m. It's too late to fool with them tonight!

Life is Good!

Raymond Overman
06-20-2006, 7:39 AM
It didn't happen unless there are pictures Ken! :rolleyes:

Corey Hallagan
06-20-2006, 9:02 AM
Sweet! You did good Ken, that's a beauty!

Corey

Ken Fitzgerald
06-20-2006, 9:05 AM
There's the photos Raymond! Did too happen!:D

BTW if you look close....there's cracks all over that thing! Definitely adds to the beauty! I can't wait to see what it's like when it's totally finished. Tonight or in a couple of nights...I'll buff the BLO a little....brush on some dewaxed shellac.......buff it a little .....then........."Look out John Hart.........It's lacquer time!" .....(Hic)........

Raymond Overman
06-20-2006, 9:07 AM
Nice work Ken. That's going to look great.

So is the next step to jamb chuck it and turn the foot off or are you going to just clean the foot up and leave it?

Ken Fitzgerald
06-20-2006, 9:15 AM
I cleaned up the foot before I removed it from the faceplate. My wife insisted for this type bowl....and she owns all my firsts...she want's the tenon left on. So the only thing on that foot is the hole where the live center went and now the marks from the clamps on the chuck. I'll finish as much as I can....and yeah I'll make a jamb chuck for it.

Keith Burns
06-20-2006, 9:29 AM
Ken, that is a fine looking NE ! This piece really shows how far you have progressed in such a short time. Great form ! Man, I really like it:) :)

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
06-20-2006, 10:00 AM
Looks really great Ken!

BTW, on the spots that you lost the bark, on the rim of the bowl, if you take a soldering iron and lightly burn the light colored areas about the same color as the bark, it looks really good, so that unless you point it out to people, they don't notice........ :rolleyes:

Don't ask me how I know about this........... ;) :D

Bernie Weishapl
06-20-2006, 10:51 AM
Ken it looks great. Looks like you are off and running with the NE's. Did a nice job on it.

Jim Becker
06-20-2006, 11:05 AM
Nice job, Ken!!

Mark Pruitt
06-20-2006, 11:14 AM
MIL arrived from spending two weeks with my wifes oldest brother in Denver.
She'll be here three weeks.
That's good too!
Life is Good!
Ken, When you can say those things all in the same post, life is indeed good!!!;) BTW, nice job on the spinny thing!

Karl Laustrup
06-20-2006, 11:43 AM
Looking good Ken. It would seem, to me anyway, that there was a wee bit of "pucker factor" involved in turning that NE bowl. :eek: :D

Karl

Tom Sherman
06-20-2006, 2:53 PM
I have to agree with all things said above Ken, great work and nice form.

Forrest Price
06-20-2006, 8:30 PM
Hey guys, I got the privelage of seeing this bowl in person today whilst dropping off some goodies for him, and lemme tell you, it's really a beaut up close too! Ken has done a fantastic job on it, and it HAD to be tricky! Cracks and occlusions abound that lend to it's character. A real nice piece..er one might even say, it's just peachy!

Forrest

Bruce Shiverdecker
06-20-2006, 8:59 PM
Way to go, Ken. The first one is the hardest. Now, they'll just flowwwwwwwwwww off you lathe!

Bruce

John Miliunas
06-20-2006, 9:12 PM
Excellent job, Ken!!! Definitely looks to be a tough piece and you pulled it off quite nicely. :) Don't forget pics of the total finish. Should be a beaut! :) :cool:

Frank Chaffee
06-20-2006, 11:56 PM
Ken,
Or at least that was how I first thought I would address you upon seeing thumbnails of this peachy piece of peach plank that you have turned from fire-pit phodder to a lovely, tho wholly holey wessle.

Now, after viewing the full-sized pics of the chunk on your lathe, I must find an honorific to precede your given name, or perhaps a familiar nickname to address you by, ‘cuz that NE is terrific!!!

But hmmm, when I pull up my spreadsheet of our roundabout interactions here, I discover that while I only teased you once and very mildly about your disavowed nickname “KP”, you have yet to retract or apologize for suggesting that I am due for a colonic, or that my twenty minute foray into the land of decency and sobriety may not have been fully carried out.

So while I would be very pleased to address you as “Sir Ken”, or perhaps even “Minister Fitz”, for the time being I reserve assignment of an honorific to you, my Siriusly star blangled 17mm spanner wielding friend, until we make amends.

Apart from all of our recent differences regarding the flat vs. slippery declined plane paths tho, I must say that you have admirably maintained your footing on swirling ground since you were so mercilessly “bombed” earlier this year, and as I am still firmly planted on higher ground, please know that my hand is extended downwards towards you and offers an exit path from the vacuous enticement of the netherworlds, should your sole(s) find enuf traction to aid in your own escape.

Fitz, the ball is in your park, or the bark is in your caw; your call.

Yours,
Frank

Ernie Nyvall
06-21-2006, 11:36 PM
Wow Ken, that looks great. Very nice NE.

Ernie

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
06-22-2006, 5:12 PM
Great looking bowl, Ken!

Jim Underwood
06-22-2006, 6:03 PM
Yup! It's a beauty alright.

I've never tried it, but I hear if you save some bark off other turnings, you can glue it in place of the stuff that blows off, and folks never know.