PDA

View Full Version : How's it going down in Texas?

Mark Rios
06-19-2006, 9:09 PM
This is just a shout out to all the Creekers down in Texas who are having to endure all the rain and flooding that's happening these days. I know we have a few there including some who have just moved to the state. Hope you all are okay and that you get through it intact and safe.

Bruce Page
06-19-2006, 9:26 PM
I hope things are ok also. One state over, we're at 97* with 6% humidity! It's so dry that when I turn on the sprinklers it takes 10 min before the grass gets wet!

Ken Garlock
06-19-2006, 9:51 PM
The rain and storms sure are NOT around us, about 40 miles north of Dallas. I quit mowing the dust, because that is all we have is dust. We are on a water restriction, no irrigation except for one day a week, and then not between 8 AM and 6 PM. Soaker hoses and hand watering is OK any day but not between 8 and 6.

Now they need to clamp down on the businesses that run their sprinklers on timers, need it or not. A small fine of $10,000 per violation would bring them back in line.

Tom Hamilton
06-19-2006, 10:08 PM
Thanks for the query Mark, Houston is a mess today. Busineses, schools, VBS, and other summer programs closed, actually did not open . The mayor was on TV by 10AM urging folks to stay home. Like a snow day in cold climates.

Personally had no problems; the bulk of the rain missed us and we stayed off the roads.

Thanks for asking. Tom, in Houston, staying high and dry.

Jerry White
06-19-2006, 10:17 PM
The rain hit southeastern Texas overnight with flooding in parts of Houston. I understand that some areas received in excess of ten inches within a few hours. Many roads were impassable and some homes/businesses had flooding. Particularly in the southeastern part of town and suburbs as well as the northern part of town.

I live a bit west of Houston and did not receive nearly as much rain overnight. I think we got about a half inch at my house. Glad to get it, as it has been a dry year as well as the year before. Within the last week I have recorded about three inches at my location.

Thanks for your concern.

Cecil Arnold
06-19-2006, 10:26 PM
The NWS said we were 8" behind on rainfall, but I think we caught up today. I'm near NASA in SE Houston and while we had a good amount of rain, it looked like most of the problems were around the bayous (that's creeks for everyone except our neighbors from LA who understand) which either are or are near flood stage and the freeways and access roads. Just too much concrete and no place for the water to go.

Norman Hitt
06-20-2006, 1:41 AM
I think the coastal areas from Hou east are getting it ALL for the state of Tx, 'cause out here in W Tx, I think we've only gotten 3 1/2" all this year, (and it has been a while since it even Sprinkled). I appreciate not having any "Storms", but we sure could use some RAIN.

Mike Tempel
06-20-2006, 3:53 AM
I am in LaPorte - just east of Houston. We had at least 8-10" over the past day but no flooding for us. However, in Pasadena they had over 12" I believe and they had some flooding. I guess we have a better drainage system. My pool is still about an inch over the overflow line and we are getting more rain. Sure glad I got my grass mowed before all this started since they are predicting yet more heavy rainfall for Tuesday and tapering off over the week. Any more heavy rain and some areas that are prone to or have already flooded will be inundated with flood waters. I have to hand it to the governor - he has already ordered some guard troops and equipment to the area in case it gets worse before it gets better.
Thanks for asking - nice to know we are in your thoughts.
Mike

Mike Ramsey
06-20-2006, 9:52 AM
They reported that we got 12" of rain here in Palacios last
night. I have to cross 2 county road bridges on the way to work
& the water was all the way up to the bottom of the bridges,
& we are forecast to get more all week! Went so long with out
any rain then we get plenty of back pay all in the last 2 weeks!

Lou Morrissette
06-20-2006, 10:09 AM
I recently returned from a week in the Corpus Christi area. The lake my brother lives on is down 10'. Funnel some of that water down there. They haven't had any real rain since last November.

Lou

Frank Guerin
06-20-2006, 7:08 PM
Down here in Ingleside ( close to Corpus Christi ) not a drop, but the humidity is so high the fish are swimming 6 inches above the water.

David Duke
06-20-2006, 9:04 PM
I'm about 30 miles north of Houston and while we got a lot of rain, probably 6"-8" the last couple of days we were lucky that we didn't get the huge rainfall amounts all at once and it was able to run off quick enough to prevent flooding. A lot of folks on the southeast side of town weren't as lucky and our prayers got out to them.

Ernie Nyvall
06-22-2006, 10:05 PM
Well I just got here... it was a long swim. I'm in Dayton about 25 mi. east of Houston and we got about 10". Our problem out here is that it is so flat, and Houston put in a water canal that runs east to west about 3 mi. south of us. All of our water has to go around the canal before it can go south and drain away. BRILLIANT. Anyway, I came home early on Monday and couldn't see my road. Even the main road was partially covered. Luckily I know my road well can drive it with my eyes close... so I closed my eyes and turned in.:rolleyes: We did fine though and the mosquitoes fly me to my truck every morning.:D

Thanks for asking.

Ernie

Steve Hayes
06-23-2006, 9:42 AM
I'm in Lewisville and we did get some rain last night and we have a good size storm moving in as I type this so keep your fingers crossed!! Pretty hot to. But the LOML made the suggestion of installing a window unit in the shop. I jumped on that one. Now it's down to cutting a hole and wiring a dedicated outlet. This is the first time I will have an air conditioned shop. Can't wait.