PDA

View Full Version : Help needed!!

Ed Breen
06-19-2006, 6:12 PM
I have a faceshield helmet that was evidently manufactured by 3 M in Great Britain. My problem is I do not have a charger for the battery which is 4.5 volts. There are 3 leads going into the battery. I have e-mailed 3M and have never heard from them. Any Ideas??
Thanks
Ed:confused:

Reed Gray
06-19-2006, 8:21 PM
how about radio shack?
robo hippy

Jason Abel
06-19-2006, 10:40 PM
Ed,

It is likely that one is a + and one is a - and one goes to a sensor in the battery pack. If you take a multimeter and find out which is the + and - you can use just about any 4.8V battery charger. I would recommend trying to find a charger that is for the chemistry battery your charging. Each chemistry does charge differently. You might even be able to use an old power tool battery charger or something similar. Just get some alligator clips and have at it!! Hope this helps some. You can email me if you need more detailed advise. I only get to check the message boards a few times a week. I own/operate a battery business and will be happy to assist in any way I can.

Jason
Battery Builders

Bruce Shiverdecker
06-19-2006, 11:28 PM
If you have a BATTERY place, like Interstate Batteries, they may have or be able to get you what you need.

Bruce

Ed Breen
06-20-2006, 10:51 AM
Thanks guys, I'll follow up with the interstate, radio shack and give it a shot on my own.
Ed

Randy Meijer
06-20-2006, 3:51 PM
I have a faceshield helmet that was evidently manufactured by 3 M in Great Britain. My problem is I do not have a charger for the battery which is 4.5 volts. There are 3 leads going into the battery. I have e-mailed 3M and have never heard from them. Any Ideas??
Thanks
Ed:confused:

I'd send them another email with a note that the first was never answered. I find this to be a very effective approach. With big companies like that, individual emails sometimes get lost in the shuffle; but they bust their butt to take care of the probem if it has been overlooked in the past. Randy

Dale Johnson
06-22-2006, 9:15 AM
Is it a Racal helmet? Is the battery about 6-7 inches tall and kind of oval? Does the plug for the charger have a flat on one side? If so, I may have an extra charger laying around. I checked my batteries but couldn't find a voltage on them, so I will go out and check the charger. Racal was marketed bt 3M. Just a shot in the dark.
Dale
Just checked the charger. My system is a 12 volt. Sorry I couldn't help