PDA

View Full Version : Hardwood Sources

Mike Hill
06-19-2006, 1:16 PM
The shop in my garage is certainly far enough along to start a project. FINALLY got the 220 wired for the table saw and it is doing a great job. One issue is the portable air conditioner I installed. It blows cool air, but the temperature never comes down in the garage. So, I need to insulate the ceiling and walls now.

Next step is to find some wood for small and large projects. My wife has a long list of projects, so I am not sure what I will do first :)

Can any of you give me some good sources for ordering hardwood and veneers? I am in the Austin Texas area, but if there is a national source that ships, that would be fine also.

Thanks for any help.
Mike

David Eisenhauer
06-19-2006, 1:31 PM
Fine Lumber and Plywood on Brown Lane in North Austin.
Austin Hardwoods in South Austin.
The name of the place that took over Paxton Lumber in S. Austin escapes me. Welcome to the Austin ww scene.

Fred Woodward
06-19-2006, 2:09 PM
Hogan Hardwoods took over Paxton's.

David Duke
06-19-2006, 2:12 PM
Not exactly next door but check out M&G Sawmill in Huntsville.

www.mgsawmill.com (http://www.mgsawmill.com)

Ben Roman
06-19-2006, 3:06 PM
My garage takes a while to cool down over here in georgetown and my walls are insulated. Probably for a total cool down it takes 2 hours. I start it up Friday night and leave her running till Sunday night. When I want to work in the garage I call my wife and have her start it up before I get home :) Fine lumber and plywood is good in Austin. Also check craigslist for deals from some of the sawyers in the area.

Ben

Mike Hill
06-19-2006, 3:52 PM
Fine Lumber and Plywood on Brown Lane in North Austin.
Austin Hardwoods in South Austin.
The name of the place that took over Paxton Lumber in S. Austin escapes me. Welcome to the Austin ww scene.

David: Thanks and I got over to Fine Lumber and Plywood just after you posted this information. Only 15 or 20 minutes from my house, so it is convenient. Just wandered around and can see that they have everything in normal hardwoods I will need for quite some time! Saw some beautiful Walnut and Cherry in fairly large widths dimensioned. Talked with one of the sales people and got some idea of current prices.

One good part of the trip was that I found out how much I did not know about board feet, dimensioned/non dimensioned lumber etc. Much of this will make sense after my first project, but at this point I am trying to figure out how much lumber, what width, board Ft. versus Linear Ft. etc. Have some good books on lumber and need to sit down and read the sections pertaining to all of this one evening. Thanks again to everyone for the information.

Mike Hill
06-19-2006, 4:00 PM
My garage takes a while to cool down over here in georgetown and my walls are insulated. Probably for a total cool down it takes 2 hours. I start it up Friday night and leave her running till Sunday night. When I want to work in the garage I call my wife and have her start it up before I get home :) Fine lumber and plywood is good in Austin. Also check craigslist for deals from some of the sawyers in the area.

Ben

Ben: At least yours does cool down. I had insulated the door and purchased a 12,000 BTU Portable, thinking it would cool it a bit. Well I was wrong! It is taking in 90 degree plus air and putting out 60 degree air, but the temperature in the garage stays at around 88+ degrees :) I know from Real Estate that a 16 to 20 degree cooling difference between the Air intake and A.C. output is consider OK. So I am getting almost 30 degrees differential and it is not enough to cool the place. My plans are to insulate the attic over the garage first and then blow insulation into the walls. Might even hire someone for the walls since there may be obstacles. The home is new (purchased Math), but was well along in construction when we purchased it. Had I know then, what I know now, I would have shot them a deal on insulation. Live and learn :D

Jim Becker
06-19-2006, 6:04 PM
And don't forget about Curly Woods up in McKinney outside of DFW. Great stuff and they will ship to you.