PDA

View Full Version : An Old Family Piece (long, rambling)

Carl Eyman
06-19-2006, 1:06 PM
The recent resurgance of P. Michael Henderson's post re his Newport Chest prompts me to post a picture of this piece that has been in my wife's family for several - no, many - generations. We don't know its age, but do know a cousin of her father's generation gave it to Leslie in her will. She had gotten it from her mother. She, in turn had gottten it from a forebearer. So we know it was in the family prior to 1880, but by construction is much older than that.

When we moved from Massachusettts to Puerto Rico in 1961 we sold most of our furniture to a dealer who wanted to buy this piece in the worst way, but Leslie said NO!. He finally offered $700. I didn't have as much appreciation for furniture then and thought that was a lot of money (it was 1/2 the price of a new car).

About 5 years ago Antique Road Show came to New Orleans and we sent a picture to them to see if they were interested. It took them months to respond. By the time they did we had made travel plans for the date they were to be here. They would not include it unless we were there; so we failed to get an expert opinion on its origin.

If you look in Albert Sack's Fine Points of Furniturehe shows a picture of a very similiar piece labeled "Best". He dates it 1750 - 1780. I think others on the samre page are higher quality. They show more elaborate feet, better brasses, more decoration, etc.

One more anecdote: when Leslie's cousin (known in family circles as "Bitch Cousin") took possession of the piece it had been on her relative's sun-porch used as a plant stand for many years and painter dark green. So the finish is not original.

Anyway, in view of recent comments on pieces something like this, I thought it might be interesting to some. Now let's see if I can post the picture.

Cecil Arnold
06-19-2006, 1:44 PM
Carl, that is a very nice piece and I would love to know more about it. Thank you for posting and I look forward to finding out more.

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-19-2006, 5:29 PM
So are you still considering the $700.00 offer?

tod evans
06-19-2006, 5:33 PM
carl, keep it! no idea of its worth but from the looks i`d say you`ve got a keeper...02 tod

Jim Becker
06-19-2006, 6:01 PM
Oh, my....what a wonderful piece, Carl. I agree with Tod...keep it in the family. But it would be interesting to learn what it is really worth someday!

Alan Turner
06-19-2006, 11:34 PM
Nice antique. The flat bracket feet make me think it is a Boston piece.

Carl Eyman
06-20-2006, 9:16 AM
Right On, Alan! The family that we know owned it in the 19th century lived in Concord MA and had roots back to colonial times.

Alan Turner
06-20-2006, 9:26 AM
Carl,
I always wondered how they handled the sharply curved drawer fronts. Brick laid, sawn, and veneered? Resawn from solid stock of 10/4 or 12/4? Wonder what the chord on the arc is. Perhaps you could let us know that. Also, I would be interested in shot of a drawer, both to see the style of dovetail used, as well as side wall thickness, etc. These are rather narrow drawers, and on the original of the Townsend piece I built, the drawer bottoms had the grain reversed, going front to back, which is a mistake even in a narrow drawer, IMHO. Even at the RISD Museum, they would not open in the summer.

Is that a shallow drawer above the cuboard door?