PDA

View Full Version : books?

Joe Judge
06-19-2006, 10:51 AM
The wife got me a B&N gift card for fathers day.

I know book choice is a personal one ... but it'd be neat to hear what you all would do. I've got some good wood working/turning books (and the one DVD we must all own), so I'm looking to find something new.

Do you have a favorite? Or, if not, which of these might tempt you?
I'm thinking the woodturning wizardry (just for the pretty pictures :-)

- a Dick Sing book
(pens, miniprojects, etc)

- Woodturning Wizardry
(or ... will this make me want to buy more tools for chinese ball making?)

- a Bonnie Klein book
("Classic Wood Turning Projects")

- a design book
(focus on shapes, form, etc.)

- a technique book
(wood holding, turning in miniature, jewelry, multi-center turning, etc.)

-- joe

Raymond Overman
06-19-2006, 10:54 AM
I got a B&N card for Father's Day as well. Mine is being directed toward 500 Wood Bowls which is a coffee table book with pictures of 500 wood bowls (hence the name). To me, the pictures are worth 1000 words.

I also have Woodturning Wizardry and though I haven't turned one of the projects it has given me a lot of insight into what is possible and how to get there. Very interesting book.

Don Orr
06-19-2006, 1:26 PM
Raymond has given an excellent selection. 500 wood bowls is very inspirational. I have 5 or 6 signatures in mine already.
My recommendation is towards a GOOD book on design. Doesn't even have to be specifically on woodturning. Good design is good design, regardless of medium. Technique books are OK, but without some knowledge of good design, technique will only take you just so far. One thing no book can substitute for is practice. Develop your techniques, but think about form, design, curves, shadow lines, etc. the whole time while practicing.

Good luck, have fun and be safe,

Bernie Weishapl
06-19-2006, 3:00 PM
I agree on the 500 Wood Bowls. I like Chris Stott's DVD's on hollow form and box making. I learn more from watching than I do from reading. Sometimes the way they word things is confusing.

John Timberlake
06-19-2006, 6:49 PM
I love the 500 bowls book, even though some of them are not turned. Great inspiration.