PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Dennis Peacock
06-19-2006, 10:13 AM
Good Morning Everyone,

It was a fine weekend here in Conway. We got some much needed rain, it was over-cast so the temps didn't get as "hot" as they could have gotten with the sun out. Spent some time cleaning up the shop this weekend as well as still working on the computer desk for a customer at work. I also had a nice visit with Mark and Derek Cothren on Saturday. :)

It was church on Sunday as I was on the schedule for playing bass again, which I enjoy. We recently (over the past few weeks) have laid down a few tracks of some stuff we've been working on. I really like learning new music to play.....it stretches my capabilities and improves me musically. :cool:

Back to work this week and it's on to more work on the computer desk. I just know that all of you will be wondering WHY it took me so long to build this desk once I get it all done.....but working without a plan, only rough dimensions, and waiting on glueups due to my lack of 1,000 clamps to do it all in one day....it takes me a while. I may be slow, but I'm "sure". :rolleyes:

Before I get off here, I have to tell a funny on myself.....
I have this habit of checking a glue tip to see if it's open or not when I squeeze the bottle and nothing seems to happen. This time, like I usually do with CA glue tip, put them near my ear and listen for that little "puff" of air to let me know the tip is open. Now, I know ya'll can see this coming, so just laugh or chuckle with me ok?:o I picked up my bottle of wood glue, noticed that the tip seemed "open", put it up near my left ear and squeezed the bottle with what I "thought" was gentle pressure and I got glue squirted in my left ear. Well, needless to say, now when I hear something? The words have a tendency to "stick". :p :p :o :D

So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Matt Meiser
06-19-2006, 10:17 AM
Friday night I got my 220 circuit run for my table saw and jointer and rewired the motors for 220. My Delta contractors saw has an extra winding that increases the HP from 1-1/2 at 110V to 2 at 220 so that should be a nice improvement. I also now have a handy disconnect that allows me to kill the power to the outlets for both which should be safer. Saturday was LOML's family reunion and Sunday we had a bunch of family over.

Mark Pruitt
06-19-2006, 10:45 AM
I sure hope y'all will send some of that rain our way, Dennis. We're bone-dry here in Lynchburg.:(

I feel sort of redundant when I talk about my weekends, with the exception of last weekend's trip to Birmingham. Once again, I spent a good part of the weekend working on my workbench. I got all of the mortises cut in the sled feet and fit the tenons for a snug joint. The job seems to be going oh-so-slowly, but cutting 2 inches deep into hard maple with a mortiser is a time-consuming task. I'm glad I was smart enough to purchase a mortiser rather than attempt to use a mortising attachment on my drill press.

Saturday I discovered two japanese beetles on my crepe myrtles. On Sunday the number had increased to two dozen or more. So out came the garden sprayer and a bottle of liquid sevin and it's bye-bye japanese beetles! Those things destroy everything they touch and they mean business!!!

And of course, most importantly, I called my Dad on Sunday to wish him a Happy Father's Day. I couldn't ask for a more loving father.:)

David Wilson
06-19-2006, 10:59 AM
Got the end poors done on the Kayak project.http://sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=41066&d=1150563513

Maurice Metzger
06-19-2006, 11:35 AM
Hello all, had great weather here, went country line dancing and started some dovetails:

Maurice

Scott Coffelt
06-19-2006, 12:11 PM
I had a very fast moving, but fun weekend.

Ordered some Curly Koa via the famus auction house, that stuff is just stupidly expensive. Love to find a good source besides the bay.

Had a somewhat extended weekend, I played 18 on Friday morning. I had planned to work from home int he PM, but some stuff blew up at work and I had to go in.

Saturday, we had a Father/Son fishing derby, so off to get worms for the day. We fished, but dad isn't really very good at this thing (besides I rather hate it personally), and to add there were about 80 fishing lines in the pond so fish had many choices... never the less we caught nothing. Son got to make all kinds of things, play games and then it time for grilled hotdogs and such. Later in the day we went to see the movie "CARS", which was a hoot and I enjoyed it as much as my son. We finished off the day with a pizza party at friends and sneaking in some fire works (sparklers and snakes).

Sunday we had a family reunion, so the morning was spent making grub for it and then a few hours with family. I was able to sit and relax on "my day" to catch the rain out of the racing, melt-down at Wingfoot and then we went to the pool and finally watched my Mavs blow a chance for a 3-2 lead, oh well.

Now back to work. Sure hope I can get into the shop this week as I have much to do and no time to do it in.

Art Mulder
06-19-2006, 12:23 PM
And Happy Monday to all the creekers out there...

Last night we got almost a half inch of rain in the rain guage, and I slept right through it. Good thing, as we needed it. The rain barrels are pretty much empty. Which reminds me, I wonder if that rain filled them up or not.

Yesterday I got dragged back into one more Sunday School class (six restless grade one kids), but now I'm done until fall, if I let them talk me into it again. :cool: Here's a quick and easy sunday school craft for you folks out there... go through your box of tiny scraps and rip yourself some 1/16-3/32 thick strips of wood, oh about 1/2" wide. Cut them to the right length, and a dab of glue + some spring clamps gives you a nice cross. (oh, I did this myself before the class) at the class I pull out a nice safe eggbeater drill and let the kids drill a hole in the top, and make themselves a string to wear it around their neck. Of course, this also requires that you bite your tongue when a nice little 7yr old girl pulls out the markers and starts to colour green on that nice walnut cross you just gave her...

Saturday I started work on a sort of toy box I'm building. Planed about two wheelbarrows full of white oak shavings. I've never worked with white oak before. It wasn't quarter-sawn or anything, but still it had a really nice tight vertical grain with cross-grain rays. It has an interesting smell when you cut it. (not the horse-barn-floor that red oak can have, but interesting none the less) wonder why you get that scent when you cut it, but when you plane it, you don't. :confused:

Also replaced a couple of swings on the play structure... All of you with kids out there, might want to give an annual inspection to your swings. We inherited this play structure when we bought the house 7 years ago. My guess is it is about 10 years old. We take the swings/chains in each fall, so they don't hang out there in the winter. Well, about 4 days ago my eldest (9yr old) was swinging when the chain broke. Down he came. He's fine, and we're glad it didn't happen to a guest, or to one of the younger kids. Both swings were immediately chucked, and we picked up two new ones at HD on Saturday evening.

(The old swings had steel chains, and the chains were protected by being in a kind of translucent garden-hose type of covering. Which meant that it isn't easy to see the rust or whatever the weak spot was. The new chains have a plastic coating over most of the links. Nothing hidden.)

I also spent a few hours working on learning the Mac version of Google SketchUp. I'm more and more impressed. Very surprised at what I've been able to accomplish in just a few hours of learning practising.

Best,
...art

Andy Hoyt
06-19-2006, 12:50 PM
I can happily report that along with a whole slew of assistance from a multitude of my fellow Creekers we got-r-done (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=37303).

Enough funds have been raised and the abysseration moves into Transport Mode this coming Thursday.

You folks are AOK!

Ned Bulken
06-19-2006, 12:54 PM
spent a few hours yesterday and scrolled a sign for a friend of mine's hair salon. two sided, which I mounted on an existing frame. she's going to paint it etc... I just did the cutting on it. and for the pic police, i'll post em when she gets it painted. ;)

David Duke
06-19-2006, 2:03 PM
Fighting through a bad cough and feeling like I'd been run over by a Mac truck, I was finally able to finish the project I've been working on. I'm really proud of how it came out, both fit and finish. Just an alert for the picture police, I will be posting pictures this weekend, this is going to be a surprise gift and the receipient sometimes visits this site so I don't want to ruin the surprise part.

Hope everyone had a great weekend!!

Eddie Watkins
06-19-2006, 2:07 PM
I spent Friday evening finishing a kitchen floor replacement. Spent Saturday mowing and replacing some windows in another house. We had a Father's Day celebration with my brother and his family yesterday for lunch. It was the first Father's Day since my dad passed in March and he was missed.
I got to work in my shop for the first time in over a month yesterday evening and the weekend finale was skunk hunting. My dog has been sprayed three times in the last month and this was the first time we had been able to see one. I had been doing patrols at night around 10:30 to try to catch it. I just happened to see four down in the pasture about dusk. The race was on to get to the house and get the gun and back to the skunks before they could disappear. When I got to the spot, one had gotten away but I was able to eliminate the other three. I don't necessarily like killing animals but LOML was all over me about getting rid of the skunk before the dog got sprayed again.

Eddie
Eddie

Al Willits
06-19-2006, 2:49 PM
Had a great weekend, went and picked up 35bf Brazilian Cherry at woodcraft for $2.99 a bf, for the soon to be built coffee table, and ordered a JDS dust Force while we were at it, allso signed up for a finishing class there.
We visited a lumber yard and loaded a half dozen sheets of shop grade plywood to find out it was $20 a sheet more than what the yard guy said it was, then unloaded it..:(
But did get a chance to wander around and the wife has now 3 or 4 new woods she likes, qs white oak got a big smile out of her...and me.

Sunday I worked till noon, then the wife and I regriped all but three of her golf clubs before it was time to go meet Tyler and Rich over at Tylers house, had a great time meeting some of the forum and left with a grab bag from Tyler and a lot of information, thanks guys.

Also called Wilkes this morning somebody named Steve explained about warrt on their products and made me feel comfortable enough so that what you guys have said and his conversation, a new York 8" jointer will be ordered next week, thanks again all.
btw at least for the first 30 days they cover shipping if the unit is returned, and I figure by that time I'll know if the beds are true.

Al

glenn bradley
06-19-2006, 3:26 PM
Well I can't talk about the weather. Being from SoCal . . we don't have any! Let me try; its been . . . you guessed it, sunny . . . and . . . you guessed it, warm.

I've gotten most of the pieces cut to size and thickness for LOML's wall mounted jewelry box (cabinet?) to be. Spent some great time with freinds and family for a combo father's day, b-day get together.

Karl Laustrup
06-19-2006, 4:38 PM
Well, I got the garage/shop cleaned up enough to get two cars in it again. Next is the shop part. Mostly have to put stuff away and straighen up. Then it'll be time to burn some electrons, make some sawdust and mostly make little pieces of wood from big pieces of wood. :o :D

Can hardly wait. Also preparing for the invasion this coming weekend.

Karl

Steve Clardy
06-19-2006, 6:45 PM
Went to a church supper friday night for all fathers.
Was a fun evening.
Worked saturday.
Worked most of sunday.

Got a good rain saturday, didn't have to water the garden.

Fred Voorhees
06-19-2006, 8:37 PM
Washed the Dodge pick'em-up Friday after work and applied Waterlox to one side of the twenty four seperate shutter panels. Saturday was a monster day of work around the yard. Spent eleven hours directed towards basically starting up some new hosta beds. I had planned on manually digging and turning the soil, but here in Ringoes,New Joisey, the predominant soil is clay. Let say that again.....is CLAY. And hard packed I might add. Well, the decision was to run to the Depot to rent a rototiller. But the lighter ones that cut a narrow enough path, weren't heavy enough. The heavier ones cut a path to wide. The solution was a trencher. Yes, a bit more dough, but it certainly did the job and really milled up the soil to a fine consistency which made it pretty easy to add soil amendments such as sand, perlite and some other stuff to "fluff" up the soil. Divided a number of hostas, both for inclusion in the new beds and for a gentleman that my wife works with. Ended the day by applying the Waterlox to the other side of the shutter panels.

Sunday it was out of bed at 4:15 for an early drive to Phillipsburg,NJ where we put into the Delaware River for a roughly six hour float fishing for bass. Pretty successful day of it with just one other buddy ending up fishing with me. The two of us combined for roughly sixty bass coming into the boat, and leaving unharmed also. From there, it was home and joining other guys for the days NASCAR race and one great buffet of king crab legs, shrimp cocktail and barbecue chicken.

John Shuk
06-19-2006, 9:00 PM
I drove up to New Hampshire to pick up the Delta lathe I bought from Syd Lorandeau. A creeker meet and a gloat all in one. It was nice to meet Syd and I scored a great deal on a nice lathe. Followed up with a great father's day with my boys.

Jim Becker
06-19-2006, 9:31 PM
Let's see...Saturday, we met with the architect to review the elevations (http://toscax.us/blog/plans.htm) and discuss the preliminary cost estimate for our addition. Very scary (http://toscax.us/blog/addition.htm). After lunch, I took Nastia (the older) to the Academy of Natural Science in Philadelphia, ostensibly to see some new things, but also to keep her out of her younger sister's hair since the latter had a friend over for a play date. It was a nice time...you can read about the details and see some pictures in our BLOG at this link (http://a-j-adopt.blogspot.com/2006/06/todays-diversiona-trip-to-academy-of.html).

Sunday, I put some more paint on the back blade restoration project after a nice breakfast of latte and donuts :) , mowed the lawn and then cut and chipped some brush that is in the area where the new driveway will be gaining altitude and making a sharp left turn on the property. And then there was a somewhat physical tantrum by "the older" which totally exhausted me. I eventually started sawing away on the last stump from our tree removal (a tree that I had the folks drop as a last minute thing for a $20 tip...dealing with cutting it flush was not part of the deal), but stopped after awhile as I just was too tired to safely handle the chain saw. A long, hot shower and a nice steak dinner helped me get through it a little... ;) Needless to say, my first Father's Day was somewhat strenuous... :o