PDA

View Full Version : 'turning boxes' question

Ned Bulken
06-19-2006, 7:32 AM
In his video Richard Raffin 'turning boxes', he demonstrates how to turn a box (several actually), one of them is what I've come to know here as a HF, but he uses simply a gouge to do the interior work. I'd estimate the piece was about 6" to 8" deep. Someday, when I get my spinny thing, I'd like to try turning similar pieces. I do have one question, however: The video was filmed in 1997, were there hollowing tools available back then or could he just using have been using his standard gouges and scrapers out of personal preference?

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
06-19-2006, 9:27 AM
I've read other books, Ned, written in about the same time period which mention hollowing tools---both shearing and scraping varieties.

If I had to hazard a guess, I would say that Raffan uses the tools he does out of preference. He's found a system which works well and quickly for him. If you look at his book "Turning Wood", and examine how he describes endgrain hollowing, you'll notice that his hollowing technique allows for some significant undercutting. In fact, his rough hollowing maxes out at a 1" diameter opening! His statement is this allows for an additional fulcrum for better leverage (or something like that).

Hope it helps!

Ken Fitzgerald
06-19-2006, 9:46 AM
In his videos...........I forget if it's "Turning Boxes" or "Turning Wood".....he also states in a rather subtle manner that "this is one of the production turner methods he uses". In short, a lot of the things he does because he's turning for quantity turning.....he doesn't take time to switch tools.....

Frank Fusco
06-19-2006, 9:54 AM
I've seen the videos too. IMHO, what he does is almost slieght of hand. The wood he is using is very soft and very green. He makes those ribbons of wood fly like crazy. It would not be unlike turning a bar of soap. Any tool, probably including a butter knife would work. I doubt that technique would work on the hard-hardwoods that are years old, and dry, most of us have laying around our shops.