View Full Version : Extreme Birdhouse # 20

john looser
06-19-2006, 7:23 AM
Hi everyone , Here is another one of my extreme birdhouses almost complete.
It is made from 120 yr old reclaimed barn wood.
This house is 5 1/2 ft wide and 4 1/2 ft high.
The roof will be finished in steel and will also have 22 wood dormers.
there will also be railings on all 3 roofs and both balconies.:D
thanks for looking
john

Mark Pruitt
06-19-2006, 7:52 AM
That is stunningly beautiful. I'm sure the cats are looking forward to meeting the new "visitors.";) :D Seriously, great job!!!

Karl Laustrup
06-19-2006, 7:54 AM
Wow! That is very nice John.

You must have some different species of birds up there in Canada. ;) :D Never seen any like those, although they do look contented.:)

Karl

john looser
06-19-2006, 8:33 AM
Thank you Mark and Karl. the birds love them. they usually try to nest in them before i get them off the ground so i don't drill the holes until their ready to go up.
thanks
john

John Miliunas
06-19-2006, 8:36 AM
Hey, it's a mansion for birds!!! :D Wow John, that's way nice. The LOML loves all the birds around our property...NO WAY can I let her see your house or I'll be knee deep in bird doo-doo!!!! :eek: Nice job! :) :cool:

john looser
06-19-2006, 9:22 AM
Thanks John
I actually have one bigger .it is 9 ft wide:eek:
thanks again.

Jerry Olexa
06-19-2006, 3:47 PM
Nice work. The cats will like the new occupants....Well done

Lynn Sonier
06-19-2006, 4:51 PM
Don't forget to get a damage deposit in addition to the first month's rent.

john looser
06-20-2006, 7:29 AM
Thank you Lynn :D
i am pretty sure if i was in the city i would have inspectors on my tail.:eek:
john

Randy Meijer
06-20-2006, 4:03 PM
Is that a "BIRD"dog in the background of picture #3??:D :D

BTW, how much does one of those buggers weigh? It must be quite a chore to get one of those things up in the air. Got a picture of one that is in place? It must require a pretty sturdy support to keep those things securely mounted??

john looser
06-20-2006, 5:00 PM
Thanks Randy.
Here are a few houses that are mounted in place.
They go up pretty easy. it takes about 3 - 4 hrs for each one including digging a 5 ft deep hole by hand. i use a farm tractor with forks to lift them 8 ft in the air. once they are up i use temporary bracing until i put in the permanent supports in. these 2 have been up for 2 years.
thanks again
john

Randy Meijer
06-20-2006, 5:10 PM
Thanks for the pictures. That is a very nice project!!

Christopher Pine
06-20-2006, 11:21 PM
Nice birdhouses Eh! I like the red roof one the best!

Vaughn McMillan
06-21-2006, 12:22 AM
Glad to see you back here showing new pics, John. The new house looks like it'll be great. Make sure you post pics when it's done. I was telling my MIL about your extreme birdhouses last weekend. She decided she wants a birdhouse, and I figure I'll be building her one, but I told her it wouldn't be anything quite as fancy as one of yours.

Karl was mentioning the odd-looking birds in the house...I guess he doesn't know what a catbird looks like. :p

- Vaughn

Brad Kimbrell
06-21-2006, 1:12 AM
So, now I know what my father meant when he told me that I was in "The Cat Bird's Seat" :D

Great looking houses! Any bird would be honored to have such a fine home!

We used to build Purple Martin houses in Louisiana. I remember that the holes had to be exactly a certain size and each little compartment had to be just so-so.

Also had to mount them on a tall pole, about 15' in the air, to keep the squirells out!

Larry Cooke
06-21-2006, 3:08 AM
John,

Those are some really neat bird houses, you really did a great job on them!

My uncle loved to make bird houses too, though not quite as big but they were close to yours. It's really neat watching the birds nesting. So what kind birds do you get to nest in them?

Thanks for sharing these.

Larry

Fred Voorhees
06-21-2006, 4:10 PM
Is that a "BIRD"dog in the background of picture #3??:D :D

BTW, how much does one of those buggers weigh? It must be quite a chore to get one of those things up in the air. Got a picture of one that is in place? It must require a pretty sturdy support to keep those things securely mounted??

I was going to ask the same thing. I would love to see one of those in position and on what it is mounted.

john looser
06-21-2006, 10:36 PM
Thank you everyone for all the great replies.
Fred just look back a few pics and you can see how they look on a post.
john

john looser
06-27-2006, 10:18 PM
Hi everyone
Here are a few more pictures. it is about 98 % complete. i have a few more small details to add. the base is 82" wide x 53" and 58" high. the railing is made from 1/4" steel.:D
Thanks for looking
john