PDA

View Full Version : Saturday afternoon box

Ken Fitzgerald
06-19-2006, 12:34 AM
I hadn't turned in a couple of weeks for various reasons......so I had a little scrap of honduran mahogany. I tried a different box shape. The finish is new for me. I've always been using Mylands friction polish and Beal buffing. I'm out of Mylands but I noticed a local hardware store carries Zinssers (sp?). So.....friction applied BLO......friction applied Zinssers dewaxed shellac and then Beal buffed. My wife likes the finish on this best of anything I've turned so far.

Bernie Weishapl
06-19-2006, 12:38 AM
Ken that is a fine looking box. I also like the finish on it. Great job. Looks like wire burn to Ken? I agree with the wife. That is a beaut.

Jim Ketron
06-19-2006, 12:50 AM
Nice Box Ken!
Beautiful job!

David Fried
06-19-2006, 1:08 AM
Nice box Ken - I like the top treatment.
I too agree with your wife, the finish is very nice.
Good to see you turning again.

Tom Sherman
06-19-2006, 5:13 AM
Very cool Ken, top shelf job. Look out Big Mike your title may be in jepordy.

Michael Stafford
06-19-2006, 6:01 AM
Excellent Ken! You know what I say, you can never go wrong turning boxes!:D

John Miliunas
06-19-2006, 8:59 AM
Great box, great finish and great to see you "back in the saddle"!!! :D Way to go, Ken! :) :cool:

Raymond Overman
06-19-2006, 9:08 AM
Nice looking box Ken. You catch on pretty quickly. :cool:

Mark Cothren
06-19-2006, 9:15 AM
Nice box, Ken!!! What are the dimensions? The finish looks great.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
06-19-2006, 9:33 AM
Great looking box, Ken. Lovely finish as well!

Rich Stewart
06-19-2006, 10:37 AM
Great looking box. Any mohogany I have ever turned was very porous. I always have to use some kind of sanding sealer. What you used on that hid the pores really well. I bet it would work well with walnut too.

Joe Tonich
06-19-2006, 1:44 PM
Man.....methinks there's another boxmeister in the making......:D

Nice lookin box, Ken. :D :D

Andy Hoyt
06-19-2006, 2:01 PM
That's a right nice box ya got there, Kenny Paul.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
06-19-2006, 2:27 PM
Well it sure looks like a few weeks off did not hurt at all!

Nice job! :D

Frank Chaffee
06-19-2006, 3:31 PM
Ken,
That’s a really nice round lidded container! The curves on the two halves with lines near, but not at their greatest diameter identify each part as related to the other, but distinctly individual.

Very fine style.
Frank

That's a right nice box ya got there, Kenny Paul.
As for you Andy, isn’t it enough that you bombed a respectable level headed guy over the edge of the abyss, but you also need to address him by the nickname he abhors, and only shared with us because we are trusted friends?

What’s more Andy, you’ve even got him calling round things “boxes”!

Why I’d wager that as we speak you are concocting another diabolical plan to bring yet another flatlander down to your level!
Frank

Dennis Peacock
06-19-2006, 3:34 PM
Great box Ken..!!!!!! I wish mine looked that good!!!:rolleyes:

Frank Chaffee
06-19-2006, 3:44 PM
Hey John Miliunas!

Congrats for post number 8000!

Many of us have benefited from your knowledge, your wisdom, and most importantly, from the spirit of sharing that you have.

Here’s hats off to you (oh right, you never had one on), and looking forward to your next 8000, my friend!

Frank

Dick Parr
06-19-2006, 4:35 PM
Great job Ken, it looks like you have been making them for some time now...

Corey Hallagan
06-19-2006, 9:55 PM
Ken, that is excellent. Not only a great finish but a great little box. The finial is nice on it too. You did real well I think.

Corey

Corey Hallagan
06-19-2006, 9:56 PM
Ken, that is excellent. Not only a great finish but a great little box. The finial is nice on it too. You did real well I think.

Corey

Forrest Price
06-20-2006, 1:49 AM
Nice job Ken. Glad to see you taking so well to the lathe. If I can stay off Bryden Golf course long enough, I'll drop off some blanks for you tomorrow, so if you see someone lurking around the shop door, DON'T SHOOT FIRST!

Forrest

Ken Fitzgerald
06-20-2006, 2:14 AM
Drop on by Forrest! I've got a dentist appointment at 0730 and then I have to haul a heavy piece of equipment from St. Joe's to Fedex. I'll be around for lunch I hope! Then in the afternoon I'll be working on an MR scanner at St. Joe's all afternoon. The wife and mother-in-law should be here! And Thanks for thinking of me!

Keith Burns
06-20-2006, 9:38 AM
Ken, I can't add anything to whats already been said. Great job, I love it:) :)