PDA

View Full Version : My experience at the Grizzly Tent sale this weekend.

Jeff Kerr
06-19-2006, 12:26 AM
Well I survied the weekend at the Grizzly sale in Muncy PA and thought that I would post my observations of the day since this was my first time going to a tent sale day.

Based on the previous posts that I read here at SMC I felt that we would be in for a very busy and crowded weekend. Knowing that we had to make the long trip, 7+ hours, we decided to ride in style.

We pulled into the location just a little after midnight the night before the sale. I expected to see a fair amount of folks in line already. I was pleasantly surprised. There were about 3 other camper vehicles in the lot at the time.

Sometime after that people started actually setting up chairs at the gate to secure their position in line. I would say that by 6Am there was a good fifty people or so in line.
We got in line at 7AM and the gates opened at 8AM.
Now for the sale itself. There was certainly a great variety of items to be had.

I was focused picking up a planer and a jointer so that is what I went after first. There was maybe 6-8 G0490 available. One thing I will say about the folks at Grizzly is that they take their time to document in detail what may be wrong with a machine. Not being a deep mechanical person I was not able to quickly determine what that defect meant to me in terms of repair costs compared to discounted prices. I walked past many of the machines quickly because of this. However, there was a nice gentleman just a few steps ahead of me that got reall lucky and picked up a G0490 whose only listed flaw was that a caster wheel was missing!! Now that is a bargain.
Things were pretty much the same for planers. There were a good number of machines to choose from I just didn't understand what it would take to repair.

Striking out on my first two wish list items I then started looking at other oprtions. By then however most of the items were snatched up. However, as others have posted here on SMC people change their minds and ultimately do not by the machines. So after the first hour or so you will see that some are kind enough to return the purchase slip to the machine so that others can take it if they wish.
I would say that if you do your homework and know what to look for then there are good bargains to be had. I saw one gentleman cart of two shopping carts of electric motors. Obvioulsy he thought they were worth getting.
Some of the other manufacturers were there as well selling new tools at discount. Dewalt had a deal on a 12" miter saw with the job site miter stand for $519. I wasn't in the market for one so I didn't pay attention to the model saw in the package but they had now problem handing them out at that price.

I included a few photos of the tent area so that you get the idea.
Also you can see here that Grizzly is set up to handle the crowd when it comes to checking out. This is a picture of the line for the dedicated outdoor cashier building.
It probably had 20 or more windows and they got you thru it fast. If you had large items that needed loading they had a very orderly line tha you could pull your vehicle around in and get your items loaded.

Jeff Kerr
06-19-2006, 12:31 AM
Here are some more shots of the sale.

Jeff Kerr
06-19-2006, 12:39 AM
As you can see, there were times that it really didn't appear to be a huge crowd. After combing thru the tent area we went inside and picked up the items we came for.

For those of you who haven't been to one of their showrooms. It is nice to see the merchandise up close before you buy.

Again, all the staff is very friendly and helpful. They take the time to answer your questions.

I ended up with the G0490 and the G0453. We hauled them back on a flatbed trailer. Unfortunately for me they are too bulky for my vehicle so I will need to rent a lift gate truck to get them from my friends house to mine. (If I don't hurry he may start using them. ):)

All in all this was a pretty good Father's day gift from the LOML:p .

Vaughn McMillan
06-19-2006, 12:48 AM
Jeff, Id say the G0490 and the G0453 are indeed a sweet Father's Day
gift indeed. Thanks for the report and enjoy the new tools.

- Vaughn

Greg Ladd
06-19-2006, 2:50 AM
Jeff,

Enjoy the new toyls. I am sure you will be making sawdust before too long.

Greg

Craig Zettle
06-19-2006, 5:20 AM
I went to Muncy too, looking for a shaper, and they were all gone by 8:10, according to the times marked on the sales slips on the machines. No surprises there, as detailed quite well in Jeffs' previous post by Chris M. This is my third tent sale, and I go for the sales by the brand name manufacturers in the building, not the tents. When you look the stuff over, factor in the price of the replacement parts, the general condition of the equipment (whether it is new or used, it LOOKS used, and by the end of the sale with all the hands laid on it, it is like buying a demo model), and factor in that line you have to stand in to pay (we are talking 100+++ people), I have yet to see a true bargain. I was also curious to see if Griz would try to sell some of those bent motor mount jointers. The answer to that one is yes.

Frank Fusco
06-19-2006, 9:33 AM
How much cheaper are the prices than their regular discounts for scratch/dent items?
At the Grizzly store in Springfield, MO there is a huge room filled with discount items. I have always felt that with 10% to 20% discounts, I wouldn't want to gamble not having a warranty. If you get lucky, fine. If you don't, the actual cost could be way above full retail. I have purchased smaller items that were discontinued but still warrantied.