PDA

View Full Version : Little Turned Box

Kevin Gerstenecker
09-13-2003, 11:46 AM
Just messing around last night, I turned this small box. This was my first shot at a box with a lid. The proportions of box size to the lid was not exactly what I had in mind, but I like how it turned out. The Box is Yellow Locust, scavanged from the Firewood Stack. It turns VERY nicely, and the amazing thing is that the Locust has been cut, split and stacked as firewood for almost 2 years and there is absolutely no checking on any of the pieces? I have a bunch of it, I just wish some of it were larger. We have a lot of these Yellow Locusts on our property, so there may be one or two coming down this Fall! The lid is Cherry, and I have one coat of Antique Oil on it so far.....probably add another, or two, and then Wax. Thanks for looking! :)

Jim Becker
09-13-2003, 12:39 PM
Kevin, good turning and good photo. I'm sure your "customers" will enjoy both the square and round versions of your great boxes!

David Klug
09-13-2003, 12:50 PM
I like the way the grain shows up in the box. Very well done.

David Klug
09-13-2003, 12:51 PM
I like the way the grain shows up in the box. Very well done.

Dave

Kevin Gerstenecker
09-13-2003, 1:31 PM
Thanks for the kind words Dave and Jim. Dave, I too was very surprised at the beauty of the grain in the Locust. They are pretty much a trash tree around these parts, and they seem to blow over in high winds..........they don't have much of a root system.......very shallow rooted. They make great firewood, but have very thick bark that will slip right off when it is dried..........makes a heck of a mess at the Firewood Stack. The size of the wood that I have on hand will make some very attractive Confetti Lights. I think I will make some up for gifts for my Lady Freinds. (LOML, Mom, Cousins..........I don't have a Mistress.............YET!) :D

Mike Leonard
09-13-2003, 6:08 PM
Kevin,
You never cease to amaze me. Nice work! Now you will have to work on getting a Mistress. I hear it keeps you young :rolleyes:

Seriously, very nice box.

Tom Sweeney
09-13-2003, 7:08 PM
that a guy whose significant other says - Hon do you really think 1 lathe is enough - why don't you get 2. . . .

needs to go lookin for a mistress ;) (especially when he already has one out in the shop - it's called a lathe :D )

Bill Esposito
09-14-2003, 8:34 AM
Kevin,
Very nice. the Locust looks great. If you can pick up a copy of Raffan's Turning Boxes..I thought it was very informative.

Do your turnings take as long to do as mine? :)