PDA

View Full Version : Woody ducks in a row

harry strasil
06-18-2006, 11:04 PM
These are my Woodie planes set out on the bench today.

L to R, 30" jointer, fore, modified jack shootboard, jack, skew angle panel raiser, match, moving fillister, plow, 3/4 rounding, 5" block, shop made oak skew angle block, osage orange toothing, Adkins rams horn scraper.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/irnsrgn/wood/planes1-1.jpg

My set up the last two days.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/irnsrgn/wood/HNM1.jpg

Roger Nixon
06-19-2006, 1:20 PM
Did you get any rain in Beatrice? If not it should have been a nice weekend.
You didn't steal any tines off that hayrake in the background did you? I'm sure you've made a few tools from those things. ;)

harry strasil
06-19-2006, 3:49 PM
Roger, it rained a half inch Friday Night, but non Saturday or Sunday.

I have made lots of flower pot holders out of those type tines and some rose trellas's but personally I don't make tools out of them, some do tho.

tod evans
06-19-2006, 4:00 PM
i`ve raked hay with an old buck type rake like that! tod

Maurice Metzger
06-19-2006, 5:26 PM
Jr, you've probably posted this somewhere, but what modifications did you make to the jack for shooting?

Thanks,
Maurice

harry strasil
06-19-2006, 5:34 PM
Maurice all I did was make sure the fence was square on my tailed jointer and with the iron and wedge out, using the sole against the fence, I shot the right side that would be down on my shootboards, and then put a light coat of bees wax on the new surface.

harry strasil
06-19-2006, 5:42 PM
I used my peg and wedge system to edge plain the tapered legs I sawed out, but forgot to take a picture of the system, Senior Moments are coming more often. LOL

harry strasil
06-19-2006, 6:12 PM
It might be of interest to some that I modified the scraper. It originally had a radiused piece of leather to bow the blade so that it worked, to reset it you had to loosen the two wing nuts and move the blade. I modified it by removing the leather and drilling a 5/16 hole thru the body and tapping it 3/8-16 thread and made a rams horn wing head bolt to push the center of the blade out similar to a Stanley #80 scraper. It really works well, I can take a very light cut or a heavier one, whatever is needed.