PDA

View Full Version : Thick blade fit problem (plane)

Jake Helmboldt
06-18-2006, 9:04 PM
I just bought a Lie-Nielsen blade for my #4 & #5 Baileys since I'd heard the thicker blade is much better at preventing chatter. But there is a big problem; the extra thickness means it won't fit through the mouth in the sole. I have adjusted the frog and it just won't fit.:mad:

So, I assume I have to widen the opening, but I don't want to screw up the plane. What is the best way to go about this and how much material needs to be removed to keep it from clogging?

I was bummed not to be able to see how this nice thick iron would work.

Jake

Mike Henderson
06-18-2006, 9:17 PM
Some of the Stanley Bailey planes have a center rib below the frog that contacts the blade when you push the frog back to accommodate a thicker blade. The rib is cast into the body of the plane. If that's your problem, you can grind off the front of the rib.

Mike

Joe Rogers
06-18-2006, 9:25 PM
Hey Jake. If the blades were the Stanley replacment blades the modifications will be minor. I put a L-N replacment blade in a Sargent #409 and it fit (barely) by relocating the frog. This blade was the full thickness L-N blade. The mouth on a Stanley is reported to be smaller than the Sargent. This may be why the blade was able to be fit in my plane and won't fit your plane. As the planes you have are common user planes( not rare collectable planes) I say go for it and open the mouth as required to clear the chips and enjoy the benefits of the superior blade. This may be heresy to some but I believe that you will have a very sweet planing tool when you are through.JR

Peter Mc Mahon
06-19-2006, 9:03 AM
Hi Jake. Did you get a LN #4 and 5 blades or did you get LN #4 and 5 Stanley replacement blades? The replacement blades are thinner than their regular blades used in their planes. Have you also checked that the depth adjusting nib [what is that called anyways?] that extends from the adjuster through the blade and contacts the chipbreaker is long enough to go through the new blade? Peter

Derek Cohen
06-19-2006, 12:54 PM
Jake

Before you file the mouth (which is an option for commonly available planes), try this:

Loosen the screws that hold down the frog enough that you can lift it up about 3mm. Into this gap and along the length of the edge place a metal shim - I have made these out of old saw blade offcuts, old jig saw blades, etc. A shim of 1mm may be all you need.

By raising the rear of the frog by 1mm you will increase the bed angle, probably to 46-47 degrees. This will be enough to now fit the thick LN Blade.

Be careful when you retighten the frog screws. Don't over-tighten and strip them. As long as the shim is even in thickness and all comes together firmly, the final fit will have sufficient rigidity. I have does this a few times and it works well. At least, if it does not work for you, there is no permanent harm done to the plane.

Regards from Perth

Derek