PDA

View Full Version : Plane refurb

Ray Sheley
06-18-2006, 8:53 PM
A question for all you plabe restorers out there,"has anyone ever rplaced a Lateral lever", and if so did you find/purchase a new (or used) lever somewhere? (if so, best bet on getting one? What sizes interchange?)
How difficult is it to obtain and set the rivet?

Thanks.

Kenneth George
06-18-2006, 10:22 PM
I did not have to replace my Lateral Adjusting Lever but I did have to replace the pin that held it in place. It was damaged and would not hold the lever in place. I simply drove the old pin out, mushroomed one end of the new pin and inserted it from the bottom of the frog then peen’ed it. A bit of filing and all was like new. You just have to be careful that you do not peen it too much or the lever will not function. As to getting one I am sure you can post around and find someone with a spare part or two. That’s what I did on my forward handle screw.

Ken

Tyler Howell
06-19-2006, 8:41 AM
I bought some used parts and replaced one. I also salvaged one from a broken frog.:cool:
Be very careful as you remove the retaining pin. The frog is very brittle DAMHIKT

Ray Sheley
06-19-2006, 7:31 PM
Thanks folks!

It's official, I am in the market for a Lateral lever to fit a 4 1/2.

Since it's going to be a user I probably will use anything, but I will try to stick to type. It's narrowed down to type 4 through 9, but I'm new at this and How the heck do you tell without a lateral lever present?

Thanks.again.

Corvin Alstot
06-19-2006, 8:18 PM
I bought some used parts and replaced one. I also salvaged one from a broken frog.:cool:
Be very careful as you remove the retaining pin. The frog is very brittle DAMHIKT
Tyler is correct, the frog is very brittle. It is best to make sure you have a
lot of support under the frog as well tap not hammer the pin in place.
Tapping is easier than replacing a broken frog.
I have left all my loose lateral adjusters untouched for fear of having to buy a new frog.
Best of luck

Kenneth George
06-19-2006, 9:35 PM
Here is what I did to remove mine. I took a 1/2” piece of brass rod and drilled a hole in it larger than the pin bottom. I then cut this rod to a length that made the pin sit parallel to the bench when the brass rod was placed under the pin and supporting the frog. Then using a pin punch slightly smaller than the diameter of the pin I gently tapped it out of the hole in the frog. To make the new one I used brass instead of steel and pre-mushroomed one end if the slightly longer pin. I then inserted from the bottom of the hole. Using the same brass rod as before but rotated to the non-drilled end I supported the frog under the new pin. I place the adjustment lever over the brass pin and then peen’ed it with the ball peen hammer. I just took my time, no reason to hurry. Once it had a good hold on the adjustment lever I filed the top of the pin down some. At this point the lever was rather tight but a few times back and forth and it loosened to a comfortable point.

Anyhow that worked for me.

Ken

philip marcou
06-22-2006, 5:52 AM
[quote=Ray Sheley]A question for all you plabe restorers out there,"has anyone ever rplaced a Lateral lever", and if so did you find/purchase a new (or used) lever somewhere? (if so, best bet on getting one? What sizes interchange?)
How difficult is it to obtain and set the rivet?

Ray,Ken George has given you good advice. The cast iron is there is thin and fragile so if you are not experienced use his method, especially use brass for the pin to be peined.

Ray Sheley
06-22-2006, 6:06 PM
Thanks for all the good responses folks. I'll be careful (if I ever find a suitable lever.)