PDA

View Full Version : Need help identifying wood type

Thomas Penrose
06-18-2006, 8:14 PM
I recently got this table at a thriftstore and stripped/sanded the top veneer and then finished it with an oil based varnish (not a polyurethane). I did not stain it. I was hoping it would fascilitate my ability to find some correspondingly colored chairs on Craigslist.com if I knew what type of wood the table was made from. The table itself is probably a mass produced item from the 40's or 50's. The color of the wood with the oil varnish applied is a sort of yellow or orange reddish color that is not real dark. Cherry perhaps? Thank you.

Jamie Buxton
06-18-2006, 8:29 PM
The close-up sure looks like cherry to me.

Chris Barton
06-18-2006, 8:32 PM
Cherry it is!

PS: the top wood (veneer), legs and apron all look like cherry with the top being a diamond slip match veneer applied over a solid core of glued up wood, species of which is unknown. Also, it looks like the applied moulding may be something other than cherry, perhaps walnut. In the original, the edges of the top would have been finsihed rather dark to hide the end grain of the planks under the veneer.

Jim Becker
06-18-2006, 9:42 PM
Cherry. And nice cherry, at that. Nice find and nice job on the refinish!

Corey Hallagan
06-18-2006, 10:00 PM
Wow, that is a nice refinish job for sure. Looks great!

Corey

Thomas Penrose
06-19-2006, 1:56 AM
Thanks. It was not too bad of a find for $10.

Vaughn McMillan
06-19-2006, 4:26 AM
Thanks. It was not too bad of a find for $10.
I'll give you $11 for it. :p

Nice find, and a good job on the refinishing. (I think it's cherry, too.)

- Vaughn

Thomas Penrose
06-19-2006, 11:29 AM
Thanks to all who responded. Looks like I will need to find some cherry shield-back chairs to go with the table.