PDA

View Full Version : Trellis Project Finished and Installed

Jon Farley
06-18-2006, 7:51 PM
This is one of two identical trellises I built and recently installed on a customer's porch. The other one is at the opposite end of the porch. She gave me a picture from a magazine for me to go by. I had to make it bigger and I also improved upon the design of the oval to make it a little more graceful looking. This was a pretty straightforward project, though the challenging part was integrating the oval. You can't tell from the pictures but that part is made from three layers of wood, with lots of through-mortises in the middle layer for the cut-off lattice work to fit into. It could have been differently, but it just wouldn't have looked as nice. By the way, the oval part is for a hanging planter. It is all poplar and of course it will look much nicer when it is painted white (I already primed a couple of spots of exposed end grain for the customer, that expains some of the white that's already there). Overall dimensions about 7' by 7'. Between the two of them, they involved 64 blind mortise and tenon joints and 90 lap joints. This project is also significant as it was my first 'for pay' project. The customer was very pleased with my work and already has some other things in mind for me. This could be the start of something.

Thanks for looking and sorry for the fuzzy picture quality. I resize my .jpg pictures to fit within the limits here on SMC and after doing that they end up small and fuzzy. I don't understand how other people get such good quality pictures to fit.

Jim Becker
06-18-2006, 8:05 PM
That's a very kewel design, Jon!!

Art Davis
06-18-2006, 8:09 PM
Jon,

That's a very nice trellis. Looks like you should be making good money before too long! Keep up the nice work.

Corey Hallagan
06-18-2006, 10:07 PM
Beautiful work Jon, it looks right at home!

corey

John Scarpa
06-19-2006, 12:49 AM
John,I like what you did with that. Great job!

Vaughn McMillan
06-19-2006, 1:09 AM
The trellis looks very nice, Jon. I know it would be a challenging project for me.

For your pictures, I don't know what program you're using to resize your pics, but check to see if you can find a "Quality" adjustment. (In the program I use, it's labelled "Save Quality", and it's a slider control visible when I'm saving the file.) This setting is more noticeable when you're printing photos, but for web use, you can often reduce the quality and it's barely noticeable on screen. Then, you don't have to shrink the displayed size of the picture as much. Also, you might check to see if you can turn off any features to save "EXIF data", "IPTC data", or the "JPC Comment'. This is extra data that makes the file size of the picture bigger, and removing it from the pic won't affect the quality as far as I can tell. I saw a post here a while back mentioning a free software program that automatically strips this extra data out of your pictures, but I don't recall the name of it. Someone else might chime in with the name.

Hope this helps, and again, nice job on the trellises.

- Vaughn

Jon Farley
06-19-2006, 9:46 AM
Thanks Vaughn. I'll look into your suggestions. I just got a new HP camera and am using the software that came with it, which has a "resizing" option. I have a difficult time downloading software from the web as I have an incredibly slow dial up connection. High speed internet has still not made it to my neck of the woods:( . Adding to my problems is that I am not exactly a wizard when it comes to computer technology. Thanks again...Jon